Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Itchy ear and moisture from mold

Default Itchy ear and moisture from mold

Hi, I went back a few pages and didn't see any thread on this.

Both my ears are constantly itchy due to moisture accumulated by the mold I'm wearing. It sometimes causes pain (not infections, but it hurts and my ear swells up and it's hard to put the mold in). I can't help but scratch as it helps, but sometimes I scratch till I bleed (oops).

I keep the HAs out as much as I can.. while I sleep, when I am home and such. My left ear is out more than my right since I don't hear much there anyways.

I've used different creams at bedtime (when they're out).. from anti-itch lotion to antibiotic ointments to help reduce the swelling. I've even used peroxide lightly soaked cotton to try to dry my ears out.

I find myself taking them out at work to dry my ears with tissues, and this gets bothersome, considering I am at work!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do to prevent my ears from itching so much, and getting moisture?

please and thank you!

NaidaUP Guest

There are different types of material for molds, some are hypo allergenic and some are not.

If your loss allows it, you could try vents and/or skeleton molds?

My ears get wet from my molds but not enough to itch them.

How long have you had the molds? If it is new it could just take time to get used to, but it could also be an allergic reaction to the mold and you might need them to be re made out of something else. Talk to your audiologist or ENT. Good luck!
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Being short on cash, and I just paid $375 to get my aid refurbished, plus the $50 copay.. I want to avoid going back to her and have her charge me for some new molds and another $50 copay My left hearing aid will need to be refurbished too as it's giving me internal feedback.

The molds are about 2-3 years old, still good condition. I tried vents, but they didn't work so well with me.

Draco,
    I don't know where you live but if you live in the US and even better close to SoCal you could send your HA to www.DirectHearingAidServices.com for refurbishing and repair: the most it will cost you is $142.99 + shipping. I have used these guys a couple of times and they have been great! If you take the HA to your audiologist for repair they are going to send it to someone else and charge you upwards of a couple hundred bucks to put it in a box and send it off. If you live near a Costco and are a member they will make you a new mold for $40 each. Good luck!

L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

really? thanks! I didnt know costco makes molds too. thanks!

1. Go to a doctor.
    2. Try boiling the earmolds for a minute. Not only will it kill off any bacteria that might be on them and therefore causing/making the situation in your ear worse, but this is also what some of the earmold manufacturers do to make a mold hypo-allergenic.
    3. If they are new (like in the last 30-40 days) and you are truly allergic to the material they are made from you can send them back in and have the material switched.

A couple caveats to sending hearing aids in to companies that are not the original manufacturer:
    *The parts they use are not necessarily from the manufacturer the hearing aid is from and not always compatible.
    *If the repair ends up messing up the hearing aid you may have to send it into the original company to get it 'un-fixed' and now you're right back to paying for another repair.
    *If during the repair process the repair company changes something in the hearing aid or causes the programming to be lost you're still going to have to go back to the audiologist to have them re-set.

My rule-of-thumb (after learning the hard way a couple times) is if the hearing aid can still be repaired by the original manufacturer, send it there. If it can't, then send it to an all-make company.

Those are just my words of advice.

As for my post above, if www.DirectHearingAidServices.com can't fix it they will send it to the manufacturer and it will cost you only what the manufacturer charges to repair the HA, they charge you no service fee. All of the techs at Direct were employed by Starkey until 7 years ago when Starkey moved their So Cal operation back east and layed them all off.

L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Hi, I went back a few pages and didn't see any thread on this.

Both my ears are constantly itchy due to moisture accumulated by the mold I'm wearing. It sometimes causes pain (not infections, but it hurts and my ear swells up and it's hard to put the mold in). I can't help but scratch as it helps, but sometimes I scratch till I bleed (oops).

I keep the HAs out as much as I can.. while I sleep, when I am home and such. My left ear is out more than my right since I don't hear much there anyways.

I've used different creams at bedtime (when they're out).. from anti-itch lotion to antibiotic ointments to help reduce the swelling. I've even used peroxide lightly soaked cotton to try to dry my ears out.

I find myself taking them out at work to dry my ears with tissues, and this gets bothersome, considering I am at work!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do to prevent my ears from itching so much, and getting moisture?

please and thank you!
    Draco, I have experienced itchiness and soreness from some types of moulds as well. Is it a hard or soft mold? Do you have any inner ear conditions that would be irritated by a hearing aid? I cannot wear one in my right ear because, apart from chronic discharge due to a mastoidectomy, the skin has been sensitized because my doctor used merthiolate to help stop the ear infections when I was younger, which burnt the skin. The other thing to consider is the material they used to make the mould in the first place. I was shocked when I went to one dispenser which requested me to sign a waiver saying the substances used may cause allergy, damage to the eardrum or death. Needless to say, I abandoned that company and went with dome style hearing aids. The other thing you might want to explore is if you have an allergy to another substance, such as pollen or mould (the fungus kind). I detach mom's earmoulds and immerse them in water and hydrogen peroxide to clean and disinfect them.

It would be a good idea to get a professional opinion from a medical doctor.

NaidaUP Guest

I've been told almond oil is good to help with problem ear molds and I totally agree, works wonders for myself.