Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Otosclerosis..... How quickly does it affect people?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    Yours is, per your audiogram above.
    Hi Becki;

    Thanks for clarifying. I was really confused when Um bongo said that I have a reverse cookie bite hearing loss! I've been reading a lot on the different types of hearing losses, so I was pretty sure mine wasn't that kind of loss.
    November, 2016

    250 500 1K 2K 4K 6K 8K
    R 50
    55
    55
    50
    45
    50
    65
    L
    30 30
    35
    30
    30
    30
    25
    SRT: R-50, L-35
    WR: R-92% at 80 dB, L-100% at 75 dB

    Wearing Oticon Alta 2 Mini RITEs since July 8/15.

  2. #12

    Default

    Hi BeckiKinsella,
    I was diagnosed with otosclerosis way back in the 70's
    I had my first left-ear stapedectomy in 1980 and my right-ear in 2001, both were very successful!
    The reason for the 21 year interval was that at that time ENT's firmly believed one should never operate both ears (in case one ear went bad you had the other)
    Well, now, it is my right ear that is doing poorly. The ENT who did the surgery in 1980 has said to not wait, but most other ENT's disagreed- I waited, my bad!
    So, to me, my early LE stapedectomy did seem to halt otosclerosis from progressing in my L inner ear, not so lucky with my RE.
    Bottom line: see a GOOD ENT, if otosclerosis, do not wait, otosclerosis is insidious! Inner ear damage (at least for now) is irreversible.
    Take care, JS
    F-250-500-750--1K-1k5--2K--3K--4K--6K--8K--9K-10K
    L--20--20--20--20--30--40--50--60--75--80--90--85
    R--20--20--35--45--45--45--45--60--60--65--80--80
    SRT (L=30/R=40) IPRF (L=88%@60/R=68%@70)


  3. Default

    .....................
    Last edited by wantohear; 12-23-2013 at 09:34 PM.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFS View Post
    Hi BeckiKinsella,
    I was diagnosed with otosclerosis way back in the 70's
    I had my first left-ear stapedectomy in 1980 and my right-ear in 2001, both were very successful!
    The reason for the 21 year interval was that at that time ENT's firmly believed one should never operate both ears (in case one ear went bad you had the other)
    Well, now, it is my right ear that is doing poorly. The ENT who did the surgery in 1980 has said to not wait, but most other ENT's disagreed- I waited, my bad!
    So, to me, my early LE stapedectomy did seem to halt otosclerosis from progressing in my L inner ear, not so lucky with my RE.
    Bottom line: see a GOOD ENT, if otosclerosis, do not wait, otosclerosis is insidious! Inner ear damage (at least for now) is irreversible.
    Take care, JS
    I find this interesting.
    My ENT told me that putting off the surgery would not affect anything detrimentally, no problem in waiting. But now I read you post that says your Ent said not to wait to stop it from progressing to the inner ear. My ENT actually teaches this op at hospitals and is very credible, so I am very confused.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wantohear View Post
    I find this interesting.
    My ENT told me that putting off the surgery would not affect anything detrimentally, no problem in waiting. But now I read you post that says your Ent said not to wait to stop it from progressing to the inner ear. My ENT actually teaches this op at hospitals and is very credible, so I am very confused.
    I recently met someone who has had otosclerosis for the last 20 years but as she has had no insurance, she has never had any treatment. It progressed to her inner ears about 8 years ago and again as she has no insurance, she didn't get any treatment but hearing aids. In the last 3 weeks, she has now gone completely deaf where's no hearing aid will work and she is no unable to get cochlear implants now because of the otosclerosis damaging her cochlea's too much. She is struggling to come to terms with the fact she's left it to late to even get cochlear implants and hearing aids have stopped working.
    Currently wearing Phonak Q70's.

    ---115---250---500---1K---2K---4K---8K
    R---20---30-----35----40---30---55---50
    L---45---45-----45----65---65---45---35

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebras View Post
    I recently met someone who has had otosclerosis for the last 20 years but as she has had no insurance, she has never had any treatment. It progressed to her inner ears about 8 years ago and again as she has no insurance, she didn't get any treatment but hearing aids. In the last 3 weeks, she has now gone completely deaf where's no hearing aid will work and she is no unable to get cochlear implants now because of the otosclerosis damaging her cochlea's too much. She is struggling to come to terms with the fact she's left it to late to even get cochlear implants and hearing aids have stopped working.
    Do you have a link where you have read this ?

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wantohear View Post
    Do you have a link where you have read this ?
    No because I met her in person, I didn't read it on line.
    Currently wearing Phonak Q70's.

    ---115---250---500---1K---2K---4K---8K
    R---20---30-----35----40---30---55---50
    L---45---45-----45----65---65---45---35

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebras View Post
    No because I met her in person, I didn't read it on line.
    I have searched high and low for this and cannot find anything to substantiate this. Hope I am, and my ENT are right.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    3,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wantohear View Post
    I have searched high and low for this and cannot find anything to substantiate this. Hope I am, and my ENT are right.
    I too have met someone who has had their otosclerosis go into their Cochlear and their getting to the point where HA's are no longer helping much and they are effectively deaf. Some people believe Beethoven went deaf from otosclerosis. Women seem to be effected by otosclerosis a little worse than men and they seem to progress faster because of hormone changes especially during pregnancy.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

    -250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

    SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

  10. #20

    Default

    I've had two stapedectomies, and after the first my ENT said to not wait too long because otosclerosis does progress
    I let 21 years go by before I had my other ear operated, and it is this ear that I am now loosing neurosensorial hearing
    IMHO, as with any disease, waiting is to invite trouble.
    JS
    F-250-500-750--1K-1k5--2K--3K--4K--6K--8K--9K-10K
    L--20--20--20--20--30--40--50--60--75--80--90--85
    R--20--20--35--45--45--45--45--60--60--65--80--80
    SRT (L=30/R=40) IPRF (L=88%@60/R=68%@70)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •