Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the #1 Reason

Personally, I think it’s that some folks don't get the right programming. From there the spiral starts:

1. Their HA’s don’t sound right
    2. They put them in the drawer
    3. They tell their friends HA’s don’t work

Again this is just my opinion. It’s all in the person who fits.
    Last edited by Midwest28; 07-19-2014 at 11:12 AM.
    Midwest

2. Default

The answer sounds like all of the above comments. I bought digital in the ear about 10 years ago, I hated them after spending 2K. Stopped using them shortly after. I thought 4K for a modern pair today was way too expensive . For 4k I can buy a car that seats 4 goes 100 MPH ,and has a V8 . :>) My family secretly bought a pair of used BTE Oticons and gave them to me as a gift. I had them fitted and fell in love with them. Now I'm ready for an up grade and now appreciate the cost.

CLIFFORD

I don't have my first hearing aids yet, I ordered resound 9's just three days ago. For me it was mostly the cost but when I found out my insurance would pay 3k toward them and my wife hounding me (GET HEARING AIDS WILL YA), I'm joining with everybody here. This forum also helped sway me, its very informative in all areas of hearing problems people have. Thank you to all the members of the forum.
    250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    R40 45 45 55 60 70 60 55
    L50 55 55 55 75 85 90 95
    R srt50 92% at +25

L srt 60 96% a+ 25 Resound Linx 9, RIC, small power domes

Quote Originally Posted by Demiles View Post
    I think its more than just money. I bought a pair ten years ago and wore them very little until recently. I just didn't like the hassle of having to wear them. Now my hearing is progressively getting worse and I have issues hearing customers at work so I've started wearing them again full time as of a month ago.

That was me too! I was in many meetings, and had to respond to customers and employees. When I started cupping my ears, I pulled the trigger and bought some. And, yes, it was a hassle, but it really changed my world. I could hear better, even though it was a slightly different sound. I bought them in the fall and heard the leaves in the trees when I left.

Hang in there!

IMHO I think it's money. It was tricky for me to afford mine with out going into my savings.

- - - Updated - - -

IMHO I think it's money. It was tricky for me to afford mine with out going into my savings.
    ​dB Right Left
    250 - 35 20
    500 - 25 25
    1000 - 35 40
    2000 - 45 40
    3000 - 40 50
    4000 - 50 50
    6000 - 55 60
    8000 - 70 70

updated as of 8/17/16 test done 5/17 /16

Vanity was first for me, closely followed by money. Once I finally got them, I regretted waiting so long.
    R .40...40....50....60....65....70....85....95
    L .40...40....55....55....65....80....85....90
    Speech Disc: L: 92% R:92% @70 db

7. Default

I have had my hearing aids for about 3 weeks now, but the reason i waited was the money - they are expensive and my insurance does not cover anything I had to pay out of the pocket. Now that i have them I keep going back to have them tweaked twice now at first they seemed to work really good but now i'm having issues and they don't sound like natural hearing to me.
    250 -- 500 -- 1K -- 2K -- 4K -- 8K
    L 65 -- 65---- 65 -- 60 -- 55 -- 55

R 50 -- 55 --- 60 -- 50- --55 -- 55

Quote Originally Posted by HorseLover View Post
    I have had my hearing aids for about 3 weeks now, but the reason i waited was the money - they are expensive and my insurance does not cover anything I had to pay out of the pocket. Now that i have them I keep going back to have them tweaked twice now at first they seemed to work really good but now i'm having issues and they don't sound like natural hearing to me.
    Have you had REM testing done? If not tell your audi you want it. The natural sound or hearing part might be the HA's, they might not be the ones for you.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

9. Default

After an investment of thousands, my first pair was a miracle ear completely in the canal, and the audiologist never got it right, to loud, itchy ears, etc. so they sat in the drawer until they dried up. The second pair was even more expensive, in the ear, a little better, still itchy ears, sound not right, but I stay with them. The third pair was way to expensive first generation OTE with the ear tube, they completely changed my view of hearing aids. Natural voice, and within days, it fell like I did not have them on. Now they died with no hope of repairs, since my insurance doesn't cover the cost and I don't have the funds, I'm not wearing any. I'm missing out so much, yesterday I was in a gathering and missed most of the conversations.
    If people would try over the ears with the receiver in the canal, they probably continue to use them. My personal experience and what I have read is that the cost is a major reason why people don't buy HA. The trial is actually a purchased with a refund after the trial. To pay several thousands of dollars in todays economy is very difficult if not impossible for many people, especially for seniors and the disable. OTE Hearing aids are basically generic and as such should sell for thousands less that regular hearing aids.

Quote Originally Posted by raymon View Post
    After an investment of thousands, my first pair was a miracle ear completely in the canal, and the audiologist never got it right, to loud, itchy ears, etc. so they sat in the drawer until they dried up. The second pair was even more expensive, in the ear, a little better, still itchy ears, sound not right, but I stay with them. The third pair was way to expensive first generation OTE with the ear tube, they completely changed my view of hearing aids. Natural voice, and within days, it fell like I did not have them on. Now they died with no hope of repairs, since my insurance doesn't cover the cost and I don't have the funds, I'm not wearing any. I'm missing out so much, yesterday I was in a gathering and missed most of the conversations.
    If people would try over the ears with the receiver in the canal, they probably continue to use them. My personal experience and what I have read is that the cost is a major reason why people don't buy HA. The trial is actually a purchased with a refund after the trial. To pay several thousands of dollars in todays economy is very difficult if not impossible for many people, especially for seniors and the disable. OTE Hearing aids are basically generic and as such should sell for thousands less that regular hearing aids.
    If you send the hearing aids in for repairs yourself you can save a bunch of money. you can send them to www.DirectHearingAidServices.com who are fast, thorough, and very fair on the price or if you live near Garden Grove, CA you can drop them off and they will give you a quote after they troubleshoot them. Most audiologist make money sending the aids in for you and basically all they do is put them in a box and mail them off to basically the same place or the manufacturer for repair. I know a retired audiologist who told me he used to charge at least $100 for his trouble to send them in once they were out of warranty.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25