Thread: Using Lyrics -- Considering Esteem and/or Hybrid Implant

Default Using Lyrics -- Considering Esteem and/or Hybrid Implant

Hello, All. I'm new to the forum, but not new to hearing aids (20+ years). I'm in my mid-50s (YIKES!) and have a relatively flat, stable loss:
    Frequency (Hz): 250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    Right: 55 50 50 55 50 50
    Left: 55 55 60 75 55 60

I use Lyrics currently -- and while I'm not concerned about cosmetics, the real attraction to the lyrics was 24/7 hearing (I love hearing my dogs snore!) and more natural sounds.
    However, I don't know that I'm hearing as well as I could be -- but with that said, how do you ever know if you're hearing as well as your could???) I do pretty well in one-on-one in person conversation, but I need subtitles for TV, and music is sort of distorted such that I have a hard time recognizing even familiar tunes -- forget about recognizing something playing in the background. I avoid using the telephone, concerts, movies and many social situations because hearing in groups or with background noise is difficult.
    Since I feel that 24/7 hearing is more than a convenience, I'm interested in implantable options. Esteem looks promising, but it's a huge commitment (surgery, expense, travel 400-miles to nearest provider) so I'm reluctant to jump in without getting as much info as possible. And Cochlear's Hybrid Hearing looks interesting to me as well. I don't know what else is out there, but I'm interested in learning more about implantable and/or other extended wear options that might be appropriate for me and your experiences with them.
    Feel free to point me to past threads, blogs, or whatever -- since I'm new here, I'm sure I've missed lots of good stuff!
    Thanks!
    -kate. (in Northern California)

Kate... to consider: In addition to the comments I have made on my Esteem in the past, I would like to add this. I used a pair of Bernafons for three years, before having my left ear Esteem implant three years ago. So, since then I have operated with the Esteem and one Bernafon. I now am looking to replace the Bernafon in the right ear as it is 6 years old and the technology has moved on. I was hoping to take advantage of that. However, I find that many of the advantages of the newer technologies are base on one using A PAIR of aids. This does't work, of course, for me. So recognize that the Esteem decision is one to eliminate the option of using a pair of aids and the advantages that provides by their ability to "coordinate" with each other. I have not heard of anyone using an aid in the "Esteem ear" and with the Esteem turned off, that ear is effectively dead. Good luck
    Chuckster in Houston

.......L..R
    250 55 45
    500 55 50
    1K 55 55
    2K 55 55
    3K 60 60
    4K 65 65
    6K 65 65
    8K 75 70

Blog Entries

You should be able to have success with lower level aids that don't have the features you won't have anyway with a single aid.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Default One Aid

Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    You should be able to have success with lower level aids that don't have the features you won't have anyway with a single aid.
    I am a considering Trax 42. TI had assumed it would be better than a KS6. Thoughts about that being overkill given I can use only one?

The audiogram for the left is before I got the Esteem Implant.
    Chuckster in Houston

.......L..R
    250 55 45
    500 55 50
    1K 55 55
    2K 55 55
    3K 60 60
    4K 65 65
    6K 65 65
    8K 75 70

Thanks for the additional input, Chuckster. I am considering Esteem for both ears and don't understand why you would ever have it turned off (I understand there's a waiting period after the implant before it's activated). You are not considering Esteem for your "non-Esteem ear" ?
    -kate.

Kate.. to clarify, perhaps. No, I usually leave the "Esteem in my left ear on at all times"... I do not, nor do I intend to add a regular hearing aid to the left ear in addition. But it is time to replace the Bernafon aid in my right. Thus, I am looking to buy only one new aid. Given the cost, normal surgery risks, and other drawbacks with the Esteem, I have not considered having an Esteem implant in my right ear as well. It may well be different for others, but for me, I do not think the improvement in hearing and understanding I experienced with the Esteem is that much better than I was getting with the Bernafon prior to my surgery.

The comment about the ear being "dead" with the Esteem turned off.. was meant to highlight that if the Esteem were to fail, either the processor or the elements implanted within the middle ear, there is nothing that can be done to restore any hearing in that ear other than surgery to replace the unit or surgery to remove it and "try" to reconnect the bones in the middle ear. That seems like a big cost and risk to take with both ears unless one's condition is such that normal aids will not work and there is no other choice.
    Chuckster in Houston

.......L..R
    250 55 45
    500 55 50
    1K 55 55
    2K 55 55
    3K 60 60
    4K 65 65
    6K 65 65
    8K 75 70

Thanks much. I appreciate your clarification.