Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really worried now

1. Default Really worried now

I am new to hearing aids and dispite the fact that I work at a major medical center and had my audiogram done there found the prices of V90 Phonak's to be beyond my reach. I began to investigate the internet and found a "New" set in Finland for a very nice price. I paid for them via Credit Card through PayPal. After reading regarding eBay scams on this forum I'm a bit concerned though as yet the aids havn't arrived to confirm if I have an issue or not. Reading the sellers feedback on eBay was fine.

I have two concerns:

1) if their stolen or a fraud no serial numbers,( not working or non programmable) I know I can deal with eBay , PayPal and my CC company for recovery of funds so I'm a litte less worried about that part ... It's This that worries me the most....
    2) .....I see that getting the aids programed can be a real pain

If the aids are good where can I get them programmed ?? Any advice on both issues will be appreciated.
    Last edited by B747crew; 10-04-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Default Addition

I'm somewhat new to all this. I would say find a dealer called dispenser that sells the aids. Make an appt to get an audio gram and using that as a starting point the audiologist or dispenser can program them. but it will cost you. I'm thinking around $250-500??? Then this is where you start looking for the best price in your area.

In addition, i don't think they could care less if they are stolen (the dispensers do not act as the police or watch dog) and besides you need to understand how money works...it's $250-$500 bucks!
    Last edited by Trapez; 10-04-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Addition
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    KS6 on 10/5/2015 (loss @ birth)

125 250 500 1k 2k 4k 8k
    ----------------------------
    L 20 30 55 60 65 75 60
    R 20 30 55 65 80 80 65

SRT Speech Reception (50+% words correct at this db)
    L 65db
    R 75db

WRT Word Recognition
    L 70db 48% correct
    R 80db 32% correct
    --------------------------------------------------------

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Trapez View Post
    I'm somewhat new to all this. I would say find a dealer called dispenser that sells the aids. Make an appt to get an audio gram and using that as a starting point the audiologist or dispenser can program them. but it will cost you. I'm thinking around $250-500??? Then this is where you start looking for the best price in your area.

In addition, i don't think they could care less if they are stolen (the dispensers do not act as the police or watch dog) and besides you need to understand how money works...it's $250-$500 bucks!
    Good Point

I was wishing for additional comments from more of the forum members also ... I kind of figured that with so many knowledgeable folks in here that there'd be a lot of insight and discussion?
    Last edited by B747crew; 10-05-2015 at 07:05 AM.

Blog Entries

If your insurance covers well, go to an ENT. They have an audiologist on staff. Mine made a one time charge of $75 for adjustments. Dr. have their oath and do things for medical reason. They aren't as profit oriented like many shops.

Stolen/lost will be caught by the manufacturer should you ever need repair. One thing is it keeps people a bit honest in claiming they lost their aids under the replacement insurance.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

I will be picking up th KS6 tomorrow and was reviewing the warranty. They will provide a free replacement if damaged or lost for a one time incident. Having said that they must have some provision in place to track the lost/damaged aid. Meaning they should have some type of depository/list of lost aids. And since the aids are Costco Aids they can only be programed by Costco softwarre it becomes easier to track down the aids (they have tighter control) and likewise Costco can turnaround and issue a really really nice warranty compared to non-Costco aids such as the free replacement. If they dont keep track then i would think their busines model would fall apart.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    KS6 on 10/5/2015 (loss @ birth)

125 250 500 1k 2k 4k 8k
    ----------------------------
    L 20 30 55 60 65 75 60
    R 20 30 55 65 80 80 65

SRT Speech Reception (50+% words correct at this db)
    L 65db
    R 75db

WRT Word Recognition
    L 70db 48% correct
    R 80db 32% correct
    --------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by B747crew View Post
    I am new to hearing aids and dispite the fact that I work at a major medical center and had my audiogram done there found the prices of V90 Phonak's to be beyond my reach. I began to investigate the internet and found a "New" set in Finland for a very nice price. I paid for them via Credit Card through PayPal. After reading regarding eBay scams on this forum I'm a bit concerned though as yet the aids havn't arrived to confirm if I have an issue or not. Reading the sellers feedback on eBay was fine.

I have two concerns:

1) if their stolen or a fraud no serial numbers,( not working or non programmable) I know I can deal with eBay , PayPal and my CC company for recovery of funds so I'm a litte less worried about that part ... It's This that worries me the most....
    2) .....I see that getting the aids programed can be a real pain

If the aids are good where can I get them programmed ?? Any advice on both issues will be appreciated.
    Some independent pros will take on hearing aids bought elsewhere, but most will not. You really needed to have that part settled before you bought them. I think you will eventually find someone who will set them up for you.

New! 2014 ....2016
    Freq . L/R .... L/R . . . Word Recognition and Equipment
    250 .. 25/20 .. 40/45
    500 .. 20/25 .. 30/40 . . . SRT L/R = 35/65 , WRS @ 35/85 L/R = 64/56%
    1000 .30/40 .. 35/60 . . Kirkland 5.0 Costco (December 2014)
    1500 .50/55 .. 55/65 . . Phone Clip+ (May 2013)
    2000 .55/70 .. 60/75 . . TV Transmitter (Dec 2014)
    3000 .75/90 .. 95/100
    4000 85/100 . 90/90
    6000 .90/100 . 90/105
    8000 .80/90 .. 90/95

If these arrive and are in need of adjustment I'm sure any local dealer that sells Phonex will set them up at a reasonable fee. They may need to retest your hearing in order to get a baseline to use in the set up.
    I was fighting with my insuarance company about coverage and was going to buy a set of ReSound on line. I called a local Audiologist and asked if she would do the set up for me, they were more than happy to do it on a fee basis, plus they would get all my future testing and replacement business. Most don't care if the aids are new, used or stolen. Like other posters have said they are medical practitioners, not police.

Blog Entries

Bit rose tinted.

A ENT has medical ethics. Au.D is like any other doctoral program. Even the ethics prof isn't under actionable ethic violations to the same degree as an M.D.

As to stolen, a good clinic will transfer your registration through the company. Without registration you have no warranty. If they are stolen, they are seized or reported stolen to the police. Kinda like you'd drive into the DMV and try to get plates.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    Au.D is like any other doctoral program.
    This is not true. There is a range of professional and legal codes that licensed audiologists must follow. These include, but aren't limited to, the code of ethics of the non-governmental licensing body to which they must belong, and the statutes and regulations that cover privacy, confidentiality, and the security of record-keeping.

I imagine there's not a lot out there in terms of specific guidance for audiologists who think they might have information about criminal activity. But there is a fair bit for social workers, who are legally and ethically in similar situations (and not covered by the much more rigourous standard set for, say, lawyers and doctors). Below is a link to an article in a social work journal that suggests very strongly that these are not easy questions to answer, where one is in the situation of balancing a client's best interests against those of the state.

And actually, I'm really surprised to hear that a licensed audiologist would call the police. Really surprised. To send someone away, sure. But to "seize" -- a pretty particular legal term -- their aids and notify the authorities? I had never really thought about this question before, and it does rather lend some support to the flat-out refusal of many clinics to deal with aids they didn't sell.

http://www.socialworktoday.com/news/eoe_041402.shtml
    250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K Costco KS7
    R 25 50 60 60 60 50 50 50 65 SRT: 55dB WRS: 84% @85dB
    L 30 60 60 60 60 55 60 60 70 SRT: 60dB WRS: 88% @90dB

Blog Entries

Well, I'll stick with my idea. Another "pro" degree would be a JD who graduates with no responsibilities or ethical requirements. It is the bar association and being sworn in by the courts that create that.

The idea another qualified individual cannot adjust/treat a patient is an abomination. It is a trade association that goes beyond the pale to protect members using outlandish laws they lobbied for. State licensing is mostly a joke. They license barbers and all sorts of trades that restrict competition.

So when a person moves all the way across Canada, you are telling me he must travel all the way back to get a needed adjustment? How about the one that find the audiologist is incompetent? I suppose he'll be out another $6000 for the same aids so someone else can fit them?

P.S. What is your profession? Just curious.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +