Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a Desk Phone - Help?

Default Using a Desk Phone - Help?

Hi there

Getting very stressed and grateful for some pointers. Sorry if this has been raised before but I can't find a straight forward discussion of the various options. I wear Phonak Naida S BTE hearing aids at work. I sit at a desk with a landline phone. I don't use the desk phone a lot but need to hear when I do. I don't use a mobile (cell) phone that often and not for work. To date, I have been listening to the desk phone by putting the earpiece against the HA receiver. Works OK for now, but not well, particularly when there's a lot of chatter in the office.

The HA has a telecoil but not a Bluetooth receiver. I have a Phonak MyPilot but prefer not to have something around my neck.

Can anyone help with solutions for using a desk phone better?

Do headsets with a telecoil function work well for you? Is there an add-on for the Naida S to receive a Bluetooth signal from a Bluetooth adaptor?

Thank you for any thoughts.

2. Default

Do you hear a beep when you place the telephone handset against the hearing aid? If not, then the phone program isn't being triggered by the EasyPhone feature. You'll need to attach a magnetic sticker to the handset to activate the program. And your audi should change the default phone program to a t-coil program. The only way to receive a Bluetooth signal is the ComPilot, but it's a neckloop device.

Quote Originally Posted by csdaly View Post
    Hi there

Getting very stressed and grateful for some pointers. Sorry if this has been raised before but I can't find a straight forward discussion of the various options. I wear Phonak Naida S BTE hearing aids at work. I sit at a desk with a landline phone. I don't use the desk phone a lot but need to hear when I do. I don't use a mobile (cell) phone that often and not for work. To date, I have been listening to the desk phone by putting the earpiece against the HA receiver. Works OK for now, but not well, particularly when there's a lot of chatter in the office.

The HA has a telecoil but not a Bluetooth receiver. I have a Phonak MyPilot but prefer not to have something around my neck.

Do headsets with a telecoil function work well for you? Is there an add-on for the Naida S to receive a Bluetooth signal from a Bluetooth adaptor?

Bluetooth is the way to go. I have a Plantronics MDA200 with an SSP2714-01 dongle. This connects to my office phone and office desktop computer through a Plantronice EHS cable. You need the EHS cable for your specific phone model. Desktop computer connects by USB. Then I paired my Bluetooth hearing aid device to the MDA200/dongle.

This way you get the phone calls in both ears, through your hearing aids. I wear my bluetooth device on a lanyard, around my neck, under my shirt until I need to make a call.

New! 2014 ....2016
    Freq . L/R .... L/R . . . Word Recognition and Equipment
    250 .. 25/20 .. 40/45
    500 .. 20/25 .. 30/40 . . . SRT L/R = 35/65 , WRS @ 35/85 L/R = 64/56%
    1000 .30/40 .. 35/60 . . Kirkland 5.0 Costco (December 2014)
    1500 .50/55 .. 55/65 . . Phone Clip+ (May 2013)
    2000 .55/70 .. 60/75 . . TV Transmitter (Dec 2014)
    3000 .75/90 .. 95/100
    4000 85/100 . 90/90
    6000 .90/100 . 90/105
    8000 .80/90 .. 90/95

Hi there

I use a standard deskphone with a magnet to activate my telecoil when the receiver is next to my ear. Works great and I hear everything thru both hearing aids. I also have a Plantronics HW261N headset that has a built-in magnet that activates my Telecoil as well. I don't have any desire to spend the money for additional devices for my hearing aids when these solutions work.
    Phonak V90 312T w/ Tinnitus Masker

250hz L-15 R-15

500hz L-25 R-35
    1000hz L-25 R-35
    2000hz L-25 R-30
    3000hz L-35 R-50
    4000hz L-45 R-55
    6000hz L-50 R-75
    8000hz L-60 R-95

Blog Entries

Hello
    I use a office phone at work cisco
    I have. Phonak hearing aids and compilot
    I had my audiologist order from phonak
    the plantronics MDA200 WITH THE BT 300 BLUE TOOTH
    ALL READY SET UP
    ALL U HAVE TO DO IS JUST LEAVE THE HAND SET OFF HOOK
    works. Flawless
    regards
    scott

Thanks very much for your responses. Interesting to read the different methods.

My ComPilot (which I haven't used in a few years) seems to be completely dead. I've had it on the recharger for a while but no power light comes on. That might influence my choice!

I was just trying my home wireless phone which has a T-coil function and the Phonak aids on T-coil setting. Asked the kids to make lots of noise (which they duly complied with) and could still hear! I think I'll go with the (low-tech) T-coil option at work, for now, to avoid high-tech reliability challenges.

Interestingly, was also testing a neckloop versus an earloop with an audio input (music) on T-coil setting. The earloop worked well, but couldn't hear anything with the neckloop until I put the neckloop physically on the ears. So telecoil seems to have limitations if not directly on the ear, but that should be fine for a telephone handset / headset.

I'll get our ICT guys to order a T-coil headset.

My ComPilot (which I haven't used in a few years) seems to be completely dead. I've had it on the recharger for a while but no power light comes on. That might influence my choice!

I was just trying my home wireless phone which has a T-coil function and the Phonak aids on T-coil setting. Asked the kids to make lots of noise (which they duly complied with) and could still hear! I think I'll go with the (low-tech) T-coil option at work, for now, to avoid high-tech reliability challenges.

Interestingly, was also testing a neckloop versus an earloop with an audio input (music) on T-coil setting. The earloop worked well, but couldn't hear anything with the neckloop until I put the neckloop physically on the ears. So telecoil seems to have limitations if not directly on the ear, but that should be fine for a telephone handset / headset.

I'll get our ICT guys to order a T-coil headset.
    I think you've made a good choice. Just remember that you'll need to line the headset up with the hearing aids just right in order to activate the T-Coil. My headset actually sits high on my ears and probably looks pretty funny to someone else. Working at home I really don't care about that though... Good luck!
    Phonak V90 312T w/ Tinnitus Masker

250hz L-15 R-15

500hz L-25 R-35
    1000hz L-25 R-35
    2000hz L-25 R-30
    3000hz L-35 R-50
    4000hz L-45 R-55
    6000hz L-50 R-75
    8000hz L-60 R-95

Quote Originally Posted by Ansextra View Post
    Just remember that you'll need to line the headset up with the hearing aids just right in order to activate the T-Coil. My headset actually sits high on my ears and probably looks pretty funny to someone else. Working at home I really don't care about that though... Good luck!
    Thanks. Very similar to what I'm doing now with the handset speaker on the aid rather than the ear.

10. Default

Hi Don,
    I've been considering the MDA200 with an SSP2714-01 bluetooth adapter. But I've seen some reviews that the connection is spotty and drops sometimes. Has your experience been better? Do you get really good quality audio. I'm often on WebEx online conference calls and I'm using the Plantronics amplifier from my AT&T desktop phone (through cable modem) with Plantronics headset. The audio quality is decent but I wish it was better.
    Hz.250...500...750...1K...1.5K..2K...3K...4K...6K. .8K
    R....15....40....40.....45....45....45...55...55.. 60...60
    L....35....55....55.....60....60....55...55...65.. 60...65

Happy user of Bernafon Verite 9s since Dec, 2010. Double dome left ear, open dome right ear.
    Good experience w Costco.