Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild variation in battery lifetime!

1. Default Wild variation in battery lifetime!

Hello!

As the title suggest, I've noticed a wild variation in battery life. And I only changed the environment!

With rayovac 312 batteries, used in an Audeo V90, I got ~8 days of battery life in my home country. But in September I moved to a different city in order to study a MSc. Surprisingly, now I only get ~3 and a half day of battery life!!!

What happened here? Climatology is similar in both places (relatively cold and high humidity).

I commented that to my audiologist and she seemed as surprised as me.

So, the question is: Could it be related to the ambient conditions? Could it be related only to the change in hearing environment? I my opinion, my hearing environment hasn't changed THAT much....

Now that I'm again in my country, battery life has returned to 8 days.

Comments? toughs? suggestions?
    I'm a physicist from Spain. 28 yo. Technical answers are welcome. I'd love it, actually Hidden Content
    L
    R
    My blog: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by OpenFitted View Post
    Hello!

As the title suggest, I've noticed a wild variation in battery life. And I only changed the environment!

With rayovac 312 batteries, used in an Audeo V90, I got ~8 days of battery life in my home country. But in September I moved to a different city in order to study a MSc. Surprisingly, now I only get ~3 and a half day of battery life!!!

What happened here? Climatology is similar in both places (relatively cold and high humidity).

I commented that to my audiologist and she seemed as surprised as me.

So, the question is: Could it be related to the ambient conditions? Could it be related only to the change in hearing environment? I my opinion, my hearing environment hasn't changed THAT much....

Now that I'm again in my country, battery life has returned to 8 days.

Comments? toughs? suggestions?
    Perhaps you're getting bad batteries in the other country.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

More radiation.. or the drones were getting closer to you.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    Perhaps you're getting bad batteries in the other country.
    That's not the case. I brought a box full of battery blisters with me. Batteries from the same blister last 3 days abroad and 8 days in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake
    More radiation.. or the drones were getting closer to you.
    While my MSc final project has something to do with drones, I don't think that's the cause

The fact is that I'm getting a 60% reduction in battery lifetime... And that's... well... weird.

So far, my hypothesis are:

- Changes in climate affect battery life -> Unlikely. Humidity (~75%) and temperatures (3-18ş in winter) are quite similar in both cities.

- Change in listening environment affect battery life -> May be possible: I wake up earlier to go to classes and I'm changing my hearing environment a bit. But not THAT much.

- Wild hypothesis: Assistive devices (induction loops, streamers...) installed in some classrooms are somehow interfering with my Phonak Audčo V90 and draining the batteries.
    I'm a physicist from Spain. 28 yo. Technical answers are welcome. I'd love it, actually Hidden Content
    L
    R
    My blog: Hidden Content

http://www.audiologyonline.com/artic...ssues-and-1210

I do not know if this may help but.

- altitude differences/ oxygen level differences?
    - longer days at school vs home?
    - louder environment at school vs home? (per linked article by JustEd).
    - are you outside longer at school vs home? Cooler weather exposure drain batteries faster??
    - where/how are the HAs stored at night - school vs home?

Interesting observations!

Battery life in days doesn't mean much.. How many hours in your day at home vs class?

8. Default

I think OpenFitted is on to something. Ironically Doc Jake hinted at it. I think it's radon in the air causing the air to be more conductive which is trickle draining the batteries.
    Last edited by doubledown; 05-15-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Is your new environment more noisy than your old? Perhaps the HA's noise reduction circuitry is more active. I know that if I fly, or spend significant time in a very noisy venue, I'll lose a day or so off my battery....
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

Blog Entries

Radon is a noble gas. It is non-reactive with a valance of zero.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare