Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wild variation in battery lifetime!

Interesting that there's such a degree of variation.

Looking at it from a practical ( non-radon ��) point of view; assuming all other things are equal -

The duty cycle of the instruments and therefore the current gain must be significantly higher in the classroom environment. Unless the levels of humidity are condensing, the variation is too significant within the claimed similar environmental conditions.

However, the noise/speech cycle could be hugely different, especially with higher ambient noise like PC fans or AirCon units. This is in addition to the actual increase in speech in class and the length of use as pointed out above.

If I had to nail it down to one reason though, it would be the feedback manager - having to constantly invert and squish a signal is going to drain more battery than virtually anything else. I had something similar with a client who used to get way less usage when wearing a hat. Do you sit in a study booth when doing your work? Is there a constant high pitch noise in your class environment?

I'll have a beer on the FBM over anything else.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. Default

I went to Spain back in Christmas. I mentioned that to my audi and she looked quite puzzled.

So... feedback killer, uh? Interesting observation. Right now I don't realize if there's a high pitched hum. It could be... or not. I remember some air conditioner in some classrooms, but I wouldn't call it "high pitched". I'll be looking for that when classes start again (This happens on 25 January, so this is a long term experiment).

I don't use booths when studying, but I have some lab sessions in computer rooms with hum noises and AC.

May the echo killer have a similar effect?

Oh, and this Christmas batteries lasted ~8 days again. (Hearing environment: Family, friends, some ocasional bar/restaurant, TV).

Thank you all for all the answers!
    I'm a physicist from Spain. 28 yo. Technical answers are welcome. I'd love it, actually Hidden Content
    L
    R
    My blog: Hidden Content

3. Default

Well, It has been a while since I last posted, and I wanted to conclude this thread.

The culprit was indeed the feedback manager. I'll explain this:

- In my home I have a large room, but at the University my dorm room is 66% smaller (more echoes, reverbs... not noticeable by me but probably noticeable by my hearing aids).
    - I use the computer a lot, and a fan spinning constantly in a small room triggers the feedback killer.
    - The weeks I mostly stay outside, I get longer battery life.

So, what happens when I go home? I still use my laptop a lot, but in wider rooms.

Conclusion? Hearing environment may affect a LOT the battery life!
    I'm a physicist from Spain. 28 yo. Technical answers are welcome. I'd love it, actually Hidden Content
    L
    R

Quote Originally Posted by OpenFitted View Post
    Well, It has been a while since I last posted, and I wanted to conclude this thread.

The culprit was indeed the feedback manager. I'll explain this:

- In my home I have a large room, but at the University my dorm room is 66% smaller (more echoes, reverbs... not noticeable by me but probably noticeable by my hearing aids).
    - I use the computer a lot, and a fan spinning constantly in a small room triggers the feedback killer.
    - The weeks I mostly stay outside, I get longer battery life.

So, what happens when I go home? I still use my laptop a lot, but in wider rooms.

Conclusion? Hearing environment may affect a LOT the battery life!
    Cheers! That'll be a Koppaberg Mixed Fruits with plenty of ice seeing it's the summer
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    Cheers! That'll be a Koppaberg Mixed Fruits with plenty of ice seeing it's the summer
    Now I owe you twice! For both pointing out the problem and for telling me about Kopparberg! What a drink! :P Take that for granted if I ever go to Swansea
    L
    R

Quote Originally Posted by OpenFitted View Post
    Now I owe you twice! For both pointing out the problem and for telling me about Kopparberg! What a drink! :P Take that for granted if I ever go to Swansea
    No problem!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Just wanted to throw this in here. We surveyed over 500 people about their battery life, and got a pretty good idea of the average battery life for particular hearing aid battery sizes when used in different types of hearing aids, with and without streaming. Check it out: How long do hearing aid batteries last?