Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opn Bluetooh and Android

Default Opn Bluetooh and Android

This horse may have been beaten to death but I can't get it to search for "opn"... If there's already a huge discussion of this, please point me there...

I had a hearing loss a number of years ago, but wasn't bothered enough to get hearing aids. Then, I had a sudden massive hearing loss in my left ear earlier this year. A series of trans-tympanic injections restored most of the hearing in the left ear, but both left and right are deficient, dropping off quickly as frequency increases. BUT, my doctor said that now that COMPREHENSION had been restored to the left ear, aids could help with volume...

SO, after some discussions with the doctor, other hearing aid people, and audiologists, we decided Oticon would be a good fit for my problems and goals.

I started with a pair of Oticon Nera II aids and wore them for a couple weeks. I then switched to the Alta II and found them to be extraordinary. I wore those for about a month until the Opn(s) became available. One of the things I liked about the Altas was the program we put in to really damp down white noise and extraneous noise in noisy environments so I could hear close conversations better.

Once the Opn was available a switched to those and really like the way the provide so much information with really good spatial orientation. I miss the program I had on the Alta - a discussion with Oticon brought out that even though you may set a program, it doesn't work as the Alta did, so it won't provide the same dramatic result.

My ONLY problem with the Opn is that I'm NOT an Apple person... No ipad, no iphone, no ipod... I like to ride my bike on the many paved trails here in MN, and like to listen to audio books when doing so. Currently, I"m using a pair of bluetooth headphones connected to my Samsung GS5, which works OK, and provides the ability to listen to the book AND get phone calls as needed. BUT, of course, volume and comprehension is compromised since I can't wear the hearing aids when using the headphones.

I THOUGHT about buying an ipod to get the direct bluetooth to the Opn, but that doesn't solve the problem of phone calls......

I can SEE the headphones from my Android phone, but it won't connect... Does ANYONE have a clue when Oticon will get this whole bluetooth thing working with Android?

The bad news is that it won't be until next year, based on what I've heard; it will also require an accessory (cost unknown).

Why can't you use the headphones while wearing the Opns; I do this 3+ hours a day (meetings, music, phone calls, etc.)? Maybe it has to do with your hearing loss; hard to know since you haven't included your audiogram in your signature.

Marc
    Marc

Hz 250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 1.5k -- 2k -- 3k -- 4k -- 6k -- 8k
    R: 20 -- 25 -- 35 -- 35 -- 45 --- 50 -- 55 -- 60 -- 55 -- 70
    L: 15 -- 25 -- 35 -- 40 -- 45 --- 60 -- 50 -- 60 -- 55 -- 65
    [Opn1]

Blog Entries

Apple's approach is proprietary. It is a variant of BT Le. I wouldn't look for direct android soon but who knows for sure. You can pick up a iPhone 5s on eBay for around $175 used. I did and am happy with the 32GB variant at $187.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Also, could be worth exploring moving to an iOS phone, as annoying as that might be. I currently carry an S7 (phone) and an iPod Touch (for music).
    Marc

Hz 250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 1.5k -- 2k -- 3k -- 4k -- 6k -- 8k
    R: 20 -- 25 -- 35 -- 35 -- 45 --- 50 -- 55 -- 60 -- 55 -- 70
    L: 15 -- 25 -- 35 -- 40 -- 45 --- 60 -- 50 -- 60 -- 55 -- 65
    [Opn1]

Thanks for the replies... I thought about using the aids with the headphones, but they're not "fer real" headphones. They're those little things that go in the ear? Earbuds? It's a thing that goes around your neck with the ear parts coming off that. I thought about finding some "over the ear" head phones to try, but haven't yet...

I also thought about going to an iPhone. Unfortunately, we're on Verizon and I haven't investigated that option yet...

I was just curious when (or if) we'd ever have this working 'cause I figure if the phone can SEE the hearing aids, and a $15 bluetooth headset can talk to the phone (gets audio book AND lets me use it like a regular bluetooth thing for phone calls) it sure SEEMS lika a $6000 pair of hearing aids oughta be able to... But, I have no idea what the problems are - I figure if it WAS easy, or even reasonably doable, Oticon would have done it already.

Anyhow, thanks.

I was told (it could possibly be true) that the issue is getting your voice to the phone without violating apple patents.

Gracie, I just got my OPNs and one of the reasons I made that decision was the promise of an Android version of the Oticon ON app. Just after getting the aids I received an invitation to be a beta tester for the Android version. I have been trialing the app for a few days now. First, Oticon advises that there are a lot of issues with bluetooth and Android that cause connection problems between the aids and the app. I have found that to be true. I lose connection from time to time, and usually need to restart the phone to restore (I think you can also try opening and closing the aids to restore connection). Right now the app doesn't do much other than allow you control volume, and program selection (although I only have the master program since the OPNs do a great job of adjusting to different environments.) The app does have a "find my aids" feature, that seems to work, at least when the aids are in close proximity to the phone. I haven't tried leaving them somewhere to see how well that might work. No streaming capability right now for the android version, but I am told that may be coming in early 2017. As a bit of a geek myself, I love playing with the app, but its usefulness is limited.

Not sure 100% on this but, the streaming issue is a problem with the Android set-up using a different BLe (Low power bluetooth) implementation than Apple - which may or may not be patented down to the system firmware level. It may require new Android handsets capable of delivering this or another low energy standard. There is a workaround dongle in the pipeline due early 2017.

Having just tethered a set of Opns to my 6s, though the sound quality is excellent and the rep reckons they have the fastest Baud rate by miles.

For comparison the chip is meant to be 50x faster than the Alta 2 as well.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

If you're talking about riding a bicycle on the road with headphones thats bad business.. at least you wont know what hit you.

Blog Entries

Baud rate is pretty much a dead term. As far as I can tell, the BLe standard only support streaming in a single direction currently. Not sure about the chip Apple uses for BT but it is likely the same as used in other high end products. If that is true then a software upgrade to the BT driver would duplicate it. I don't know what patent Apple did on this but it may require a license.

I'd guess a hard of hearing engineer at Apple sold them on doing it. With the success it has had, I would think the standards committee for BT will have a version which will introduce competing version and open the proverbial bag of worms.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare