Thread: Caption Phones at Work

Default Caption Phones at Work

With my reverse slope hearing loss some male voices particularly on a cell phone are distorted. My boss happens to have one of the voices I cannot hear well on the phone (we don't work in the same office). I spoke with my HR rep at work and they are going to set me up with a system that provides voice recognition software for use on the phone. My guess is that I'll end up getting a Caption Call phone or something similar at work. I have a caption call at home and have only used it a couple times really just to test it out. Has anyone used this type of setup at work? Are the lag times and misinterpretations a major negative impact in a professional setting? I hear most people okay, but in the instances that I will need to use it l, I don't want to sound stupid. I get maybe 10 calls a week between external customers and coworkers.
    Tony
    ---------------------
    Oticon OPNs
    Previously: Bernafon Juna 9s with Soundgate 3
    ----------------------
    55 55 50 10 60 25
    250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    55 60 45 15 20 10

Word Recognition, 60% at 70 db (left), 96% at 65db (right)
    <Tested 1/2/17>

Anyone use caption call in any respect? How is the lag time and the captioning accuracy? All the other posts about caption call are pretty dated.
    Last edited by Abarsanti; 08-21-2016 at 06:01 AM.

Blog Entries

I think they are dated because Bluetooth and MFi technology has made it much easier to use the phone. Understanding has really improved with that. Aids can be adjusted for phone situations and the amount of background reduced or eliminated.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

I have a direct connection to my iPhone with my OPNs, but still have trouble in limited situations on the phone. I think since my loss is in the lower frequencies it can make phone use particularly challenging even with Bluetooth. I know I'm pretty much on my own island in that respect. 75% of the time I am fine. Women, anyone on a landline and even some men on cellphones I hear fine. But for some reason, be it their cell phone, the way the person speaks or the cellular network they are on, some males voices comes across as boomy and distorted. Especially if the person uses a Bluetooth car phone (this seems to be a common problem for reverse slopers). This is the same if I put the phone receiver up to my ear without wearing my hearing aids. I know with the advent of VoLTE networks this should become easier for me in time. But for the time being I'll probably need to utilize a caption phone in my work setting at least. I guess I'll just have to use it and see how it goes.

I have Caption Call and have used it for long time with good results. They keep updating it often and there is a feature where you can set in your audiogram settings. I have not used that feature. I don't see a problem with any lag. Captioning accuracy is very good. I have people with accents call and its amazing on how it brings them across. But I have no way of knowing about other caption devices out there.
    Bob

Primary: Starkey Muse i2400 ITE Surflink Model 300
    Backup: Starkey ZSeries i110 ITEs Surflink Model 300
    Frequency Left Right
    250 - 60
    500 -65-60
    1000 - 65-65
    2000 - 80-80
    3000 - 95 -90
    4000 - 110-110
    8000 - 110-110
    Maryland CNC Left 30 Right 32

Thank you, Bob. That is reassuring hear. I have a rather newer model as I just got mine a few months ago. The lag is only a few seconds but would be noticeable in a normal conversation. I wonder if it has to do with the wifi connection. At work it will probably connect directly via Ethernet so maybe the lag time will be minimal. Today I took a prerecorded message. The message said "this is John" and the caption came across "this is Don." Not a big deal I know, but the message was spoken pretty clearly.
    Last edited by Abarsanti; 08-21-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abarsanti View Post
    Thank you, Bob. That is reassuring hear. I have a rather newer model as I just got mine a few months ago. The lag is only a few seconds but would be noticeable in a normal conversation. I wonder if it has to do with the wifi connection. At work it will probably connect directly via Ethernet so maybe the lag time will be minimal. Today I took a prerecorded message. The message said "this is John" and the caption came across "this is Don." Not a big deal I know, but the message was spoken pretty clearly.
    Mine is just 18 inches from my Verizon FIOS 50 K router but captioning is not as good a say network tv programs. But I have enough hearing to carry on conversation and just rely on captioning to let me clarify something I did not fully understand and when I do look down at caption its usually right there.
    Bob

Primary: Starkey Muse i2400 ITE Surflink Model 300
    Backup: Starkey ZSeries i110 ITEs Surflink Model 300
    Frequency Left Right
    250 - 60
    500 -65-60
    1000 - 65-65
    2000 - 80-80
    3000 - 95 -90
    4000 - 110-110
    8000 - 110-110
    Maryland CNC Left 30 Right 32

Glad it's working out for you. I'll probably connect mine directly with an Ethernet cord at work. I too understand most, but when I do struggle the captions would be good to keep me on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Abarsanti View Post
    I . But for the time being I'll probably need to utilize a caption phone in my work setting at least. I guess I'll just have to use it and see how it goes.
    Caption Call uses a live person in some manner to review or correct the caption and that may not work in a work setting, if confidential things are discussed.

New! 2014 ....2016
    Freq . L/R .... L/R . . . Word Recognition and Equipment
    250 .. 25/20 .. 40/45
    500 .. 20/25 .. 30/40 . . . SRT L/R = 35/65 , WRS @ 35/85 L/R = 64/56%
    1000 .30/40 .. 35/60 . . Kirkland 5.0 Costco (December 2014)
    1500 .50/55 .. 55/65 . . Phone Clip+ (May 2013)
    2000 .55/70 .. 60/75 . . TV Transmitter (Dec 2014)
    3000 .75/90 .. 95/100
    4000 85/100 . 90/90
    6000 .90/100 . 90/105
    8000 .80/90 .. 90/95

Yeah I thought of that too. My HR person seemed to think we have an in house voice recognition system for phone use for other HOH employees. I work for a large corporation, but would be suprised if they have something in house. That's why i assumed it would be something similar to CaptionCall.