Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Future Substitute for my Pure 701 119/55

Default Future Substitute for my Pure 701 119/55

Hi:

I have two Siemens Pure 701 119/55 HAs with open domes

I have been using them for 3.5 years. I also have the Minitek, and the eCharger (altough I am not using too much).

After speak with the doctor (a friend of mine) that examined my ears. She did two audiometries:

- A standard audiometry.
    - An open field audiometry (with HA). I apologize if I am not using the correct terminology in english.

Well, the question is that she told me that the fitting for my HAs was bad. There was almost no gain when using the HAs

Now I found a good audi (she has no very much experience) but she is very patient with me, and all is going better. Anyway I am very interested in DIY, and you are helping to me in this forum. I have just ordered the 312 pill adapter (I need the HiPro, and the CS44 cables)

Anyway, my audi told me that the medium lasting of HAs is 5 years. My question is what is the SIEMENS model that is a good substitute for my pure 701. Siemens has much models. I need the HAs because I am only 50 years old, and I teach computing in a Spanish University, then the HAs are fundamental for my work.

Regards

jpeinado
    Last edited by jpeinado; 10-23-2016 at 03:18 PM.
    125 250 500 750 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    R 65 45 55 65 65 60 55 50 50 60 55
    L 65 40 40 45 60 60 55 55 60 75 65

Hi:

I reopen this thread because my HAs are broken. They are 4 years old

The left one is doing pitches all the time

The right one does not amplify at all.

Now, they are four years all, and my new audi (lately, each time I has to go, I have a new audi, tells me that is no worth to repair. They are very very dirty with moisture, sweat, dust, and dirt

He is telling to me to change to the new model Primax 701p

But I have just read about a new model Primax BT 13. I don't know if GAES (the Spanish dealer) has this model.

I used this forum when I tried some DIY. I bought all the hardware hand got the software, but I had some panic, because I was afraid to spoil them.

Could you please help me?
    Last edited by jpeinado; 06-10-2017 at 12:48 PM.

First problem was the open domes!
    701p vs bt13.. would you be happy with a very nice Buick at 2/3 the price of a Cadillac?
    If you want a 13 battery you could go with the 701p carat.

Either work for your numbers but get custom molds!

Hi Doc Jake:

First of all, thank you very much for your answer.

I am having some problems with your answer (because I am from Spain) and I do not understand some question that you explain in your answer....

First of all, you are telling to me that I must use custom molds?.

About the comparison Buick Cadillac....I do not understand....

Thank you again and I apologize for not understanding your answer

jpeinado

With higher number in the lower range of your audiogram in my option you should had customs all a!long.

The Buick=Audi, Cadillac=Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    With higher number in the lower range of your audiogram in my option you should had customs all a!long.
    Ok. I will try this option....but I have one doubt here. For using the phone with custom molds. Do I need the tele-coil?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    The Buick=Audi, Cadillac=Porsche
    I understand this

Thank you very much for your help

I agree with Doc Jake that open domes were probably not a good fit for you to begin with. Open domes will leak out sounds and are usually fitted for people with regular hearing (or very mild loss) in the low and mid frequencies and loss in the high frequencies so that the large vent for the open dome will let the natural low and mid sounds come through and the hearing aid is used to amplify high frequency sounds only for those types of people. But you're not those type of people with that kind of hearing loss. Your hearing loss is moderately severe across the board (seems fairly flat), so the open dome you were fitted with will leak out most of the low and mid amplified sounds. Custom molds as suggested by Doc Jake should help prevent sound leakage so you can hear the amplified sounds better across the board. So your doctor friend was right that it was a bad fitting to begin with.

Regarding your concern about whether you'll need an HA with tele-coil option to use with your phone because the custom molds won't let the sound through due to no more vent like the open dome, yes, tele-coil is one option. Or get a neck streamer to connect your phone to the streamer via Bluetooth. Or find an HA that can stream directly from Apple's iPhones to the HA without needing a neck streamer. Another option to use the phone without tele-coil or any kind of streaming is to just put the phone speaker over the mic in the HA behind your ear, or put the HA inside your ear (like in this link Attachment 1236) temporarily while you're on the phone, if your HA has feedback control to avoid feedback when the phone is pressed against your ear.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I agree with Doc Jake that open domes were probably not a good fit for you to begin with. Open domes will leak out sounds and are usually fitted for people with regular hearing (or very mild loss) in the low and mid frequencies and loss in the high frequencies so that the large vent for the open dome will let the natural low and mid sounds come through and the hearing aid is used to amplify high frequency sounds only for those types of people. But you're not those type of people with that kind of hearing loss. Your hearing loss is moderately severe across the board (seems fairly flat), so the open dome you were fitted with will leak out most of the low and mid amplified sounds. Custom molds as suggested by Doc Jake should help prevent sound leakage so you can hear the amplified sounds better across the board. So your doctor friend was right that it was a bad fitting to begin with.
    Thank you very much for your help Volusiano. I think Doc Jake and you know what you are talking about. In fact, the most important problem with the spanish audis, is that they do not help with this. They are not ready to do that work (I know it is very difficult). Also I think they are very poorly paid. In fact in 8 adjustments that I made in 4 years, I have 4 differents audis....

And the second problem is the cost of the HAs in Spain...It is a shame but I don't know what to do. In my work (I teach Computing in a Spanish University) I need the HAs. For example the 701P Primax have a cost of $6000. They are expensive because all the adjustments are free all the lifetime of the HAs, but the audis are bad....

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    Regarding your concern about whether you'll need an HA with tele-coil option to use with your phone because the custom molds won't let the sound through due to no more vent like the open dome, yes, tele-coil is one option. Or get a neck streamer to connect your phone to the streamer via Bluetooth. Or find an HA that can stream directly from Apple's iPhones to the HA without needing a neck streamer. Another option to use the phone without tele-coil or any kind of streaming is to just put the phone speaker over the mic in the HA behind your ear, or put the HA inside your ear (like in this link Attachment 1236) temporarily while you're on the phone, if your HA has feedback control to avoid feedback when the phone is pressed against your ear.

I will try the custom molds. Anyway, I tested 4 years ago, and they were not comfortable to me. Even I tested the semi open domes, but they had too much occlusion for me. (Sorry I don't know if this is the correct word).

Thank you very much for your help

jpeinado

Quote Originally Posted by jpeinado View Post
    I will try the custom molds. Anyway, I tested 4 years ago, and they were not comfortable to me. Even I tested the semi open domes, but they had too much occlusion for me. (Sorry I don't know if this is the correct word.
    OK, I didn't know that you already tried custom molds and semi open domes before already and rejected them due to too much occlusion. I was suprised why your audi did not suggest closed domes or custom molds in the first place, but now I understand better that they did suggest it but you rejected it so they had to work with a compromised situation based on your wish for the open dome.

Aside from the occlusion issue, however, did you spend enough time in it to see if you could hear better with them on compared to the open dome? It is a trade-off (better hearing vs occlusion), but at some point you need to decide which trade-off is more important to you. At least with occlusion, I think you can learn to get used to it over time. But the other trade-off (poorer hearing) won't get better for you over time like occlusion. My left hearing is not too bad in the low frequencies, and I wear a bass dome that is closed except for a very small single vent, and while it felt somewhat occluded at time, I learn to live with it and now I'm used to it enough that the occlusion is no longer an issue to me. Before trying out custom molds, which cost a lot more than closed domes, you should try out the different varities of closed domes first, including those with a single tiny minimal vent hole. Don't reject it right away, however, take some time to get used to it and the occlusion. Custom molds would be even better especially if the domes don't give a tight enough seal and gives feedback. But the closed dome may be adequate and you may not have to do custom molds if you get lucky.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

If you want to get full benefit from whatever aids you choose you need property vented custom molds. You need to just get use to them. Don't just try them a couple of days or a week and quit.