Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV devices

Default TV devices

Still a relative newbie at this.

I have problems at times with the clarity of TV. The audiologist tells me this is common and recommended TV ears, though he didn't seem overly familiar with them or any assisted devices. What is the consensus here as far as best option?

I'm using Resound Linx.

Thanks.

I can't see why your audi is recommending TV Ears when you've paid him/her a whole bunch of money for high-quality hearing aids. Because I assume you'd have to take your hearing aids off/out to be able to use the TV Ears. Which are IMO probably quite inferior to your hearing aids from an audiological point of view.

I'm not a pro, not at all, but this seems to be how people who wear hearing aids approach this problem. None of these options involve taking out your hearing aids and putting them on the coffee table.

1. Do your aids have a specific program for "Television"? I'm not able to find this out about the Resound Linx, but most aids have this. You haven't posted any information about your hearing loss, but if possible, this would be the place to start. Get your audi to set up this program, and if it doesn't work as it should, keep going back until it's adjusted as well as possible. Although this might not eventually meet your needs, it's the simplest option, and one that doesn't involve any added expense.

2. If you need some more assistance, you could try a sound bar -- a speaker system that amplifies the audio from your TV. Some of these have adjustments that can help compensate for hearing loss (although some of those on the market seem IMO to be over-hyped, and over-priced).

2. If that isn't good enough, use a streamer. Resound has one specifically designed for this use: http://www.resound.com/en-US/hearing...s/tv-streamer2

3. Or if your aids have telecoils, get a telecoil loop system. There are many manufacturers out there, but Connevans in the UK has a good intro: http://www.connevans.info/page/tloop

I'm kind of in your shoes, where my aids on their own aren't really good enough for totally reliable viewing. If it mattered more to me, I'd go with a streamer. But I manage to get by with captioning, and I'm pretty okay with that.
    250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K Costco KS7
    R 25 50 60 60 60 50 50 50 65 SRT: 55dB WRS: 84% @85dB
    L 30 60 60 60 60 55 60 60 70 SRT: 60dB WRS: 88% @90dB

Make/model of aids and an audio-gram would help considerably.

As mentioned my aids are Resound linx - model 61. I have no idea how to post the audio-gram or what the numbers mean. I do have a copy of the test though. Can you explain how to read and post the numbers?

As for my audi. I haven't had much luck it seems. I moved on from the first one because his knowledge about aids was limited and his practice didn't seem up to snuff. He was near where i lived which is outside Manhattan. I did some research and thought I found an innovative and up-to-date company in Manhattan. They sell all the major aids. But I'm sensing the audi I deal with isn't that knowledgeable. He's also very young, around 30 - 35. When I had a problem with streaming, he was all set to return the aids to Resound. Instead, I called Resound and resolved the problem. Oh well, at this point, I have to make the best of it. I had a $500 out of pocket expense that isn't recoverable.

My aids are not programmed for TV. I don't know if that's possible. I only have one mode other than normal - "restaurants." I'm going to call Resound tomorrow and ask them about all this.

Thank you!

The audiogram numbers are decibels on the Y axis and frequency on the X axis. Wikipedia has a good synopsis of the audiogram. The decibels refer to how much hearing loss you have. The frequency is the specific range of sound. For TV, why not get the Resound tv streamer and then you can stream the programming directly to you aids.

Quote Originally Posted by gsusser View Post
    As mentioned my aids are Resound linx - model 61... I only have one mode other than normal - "restaurants."
    I did check, and these aids don't have a specific program for television. But they do have one for listening to music, which would probably be good for this. A "restaurant" program is usually one meant for situations where there's background noise, various distractions, and people talking behind you and off to the side who you do not want to hear. So from my admittedly amateur perspective, this seems like the wrong place to start.

[edit]These aids can be set up with at least 4 separate, user-selectable programs.

I have no idea how to post the audio-gram or what the numbers mean. I do have a copy of the test though. Can you explain how to read and post the numbers?
    You'll see that many of us have the information from our audiograms in our signatures. As an example, I've attached below my audiogram for my right ear. The measurements that matter are the ones marked with a circle. (And for the left ear, those measurements are marked with an X, but in my audiogram that's on a separate chart.)

As Abarsanti says, "the audiogram numbers are decibels on the Y axis and frequency on the X axis." So if you look at my audiogram, you'll see that at a frequency of 250 Hz, I have a loss of 25 dB (0 dB is normal hearing -- no loss).

If you look at my signature, you'll see that's what entered -- a loss of 25 dB at 250 Hz. Similarly, the chart shows a loss of 50 dB at 500 Hz, 60 dB at 1 kHz, and so on. You just tabulate the numbers for each ear, for the loss at each frequency.

The other important measurement is your Word Recognition Score, or WRS. That's given as a certain percentage, at a certain dB level. But that is often harder to figure out on the audiogram.

audiogram-sample.jpg
    Last edited by corona; 12-05-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks for your help in understanding the audiogram.

I saw the audi yesterday and asked him for a copy of my recent test. I just realized he gave me a copy of my original test. The new test (done supposedly with more sophisticated equipment) showed some variation from the original test. I emailed the audi for the results of the new test. Looking at the old test, I only see graphic results for one ear, though I don't know which one. Or is it possible it's for both combined? There is only one plot.

These are the results:

250 - 30
    500 - 35
    1k - 50
    2k - 50
    3k - 60
    4k - 60
    8k - 60

SRT
    R - 40
    L - 40

WRS - same for each ear
    96% @ 85db

Edit to add:
    I spoke to Resound as well as my audi.

My audi did not recommend the TV streamer for the reason that it's been known to drop the bluetooth connection frequently. I have this problem on occasion when streaming music. He agreed that the use of a 3rd party listening aid was not ideal, but the best option to get good clarity.
    Last edited by gsusser; 12-06-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks for your help in understanding the audiogram.
    You're welcome!

Looking at the old test, I only see graphic results for one ear, though I don't know which one. Or is it possible it's for both combined? There is only one plot.
    Sometimes they're on the same graph. Usually, the values for the right ear is marked with an "O" and the left ear with an "X". Here's a good article that covers the basics (and shows an audiogram where the results are on one chart):

http://www.firstyears.org/lib/howtoread.htm

I can't comment on your audiogram, because I really wouldn't know what I was talking about. That having been said, on the surface it doesn't look like anything unusual. And your word recognition looks like it's quite good.

My audi did not recommend the TV streamer for the reason that it's been known to drop the bluetooth connection frequently. I have this problem on occasion when streaming music. He agreed that the use of a 3rd party listening aid was not ideal, but the best option to get good clarity.
    There's lots of talk on these forums about streamers. I don't use one, so I can't comment. But there's definitely information here, and threads where you can ask directly.

There's also the loop option. I think that works well for a lot of people.

Anyway, good luck! And maybe other people can comment more directly on your TV options, and the audiometry.

Thanks again. I received the updated test from the audi and put it in my signature... I copied your format. I'm sort of testing to see if it appears in my sig.
    250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K Res Linx² 61
    R 35 35 55 50 50 55 45 45 SRT: 50dB WRS: 76% @85dB
    L 35 35 45 40 45 55 45 55 SRT: 45dB WRS: 92% @80dB

Thanks again. I received the updated test from the audi and put it in my signature... I copied your format. I'm sort of testing to see if it appears in my sig.
    Looks good!