Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV devices

Similar boat I'm in. TV Ears (old version--2.3 I think) are notably better than my aids, even with a special TV program installed. However, as mentioned it requires removing my hearing aids. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give Telecoils a try. From what I've read it just seems like such classic technology, and pretty affordable.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

I had been using my wireless headphones with my Trax42 aids without a problem. Lately though my HAs seem to occasionally feedback screeches and reboot sporadically. I have begun to take out the HAs before switching to headphones (my wife doesn't like hearing the TV at night), although this is an inconvenience. I'm wondering whether a visit to my HIS at Costco could set up a new program that specifically addresses these problems. Anyone with experience on this?
    Rexton Trax 42 RIC (312) w/open domes (October, 2015)

-----250-----500-----1K-----2K-----3K-----4K-----6K-----8K
    L-----30------35-----35-----30-----40-----65-----65-----55
    R-----25------35-----35-----30-----60-----60-----60-----55

L: SRT=30dB, WRS 100% at 75dB
    R: SRT=45dB, WRS 100% at 75dB

ďBlindness separates us from things but deafness separates us from people.Ē
    ~ Helen Keller

I have a TV program on my KS7s (similar to Trax 42) that I'm not particularly happy with, but it sounds like you've had something change. Is while watching TV the only times your HAs reboot? I don't have a story to connect the feedback with the reboots, but if you can get the reboots fixed, I'm guessing the feedback is fixable too.

Reporting back now that I have headphones and have used them for a few days. I wear them with my HAs and the clarity is significantly better. However, I find them uncomfortable after wearing them for a period of time. That could be the headphones, though they're a decent model Sennheiser. I also don't feel comfortable moving around with them, like when I'm cooking and watching TV. I also sometimes I like to lay down and watch TV which makes the use of headphones a little tricky. I think eventually I'm going to try the Resound streaming device. Is buyhear.com a reputable company?
    250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K Res Linx≤ 61
    R 35 35 55 50 50 55 45 45 SRT: 50dB WRS: 76% @85dB
    L 35 35 45 40 45 55 45 55 SRT: 45dB WRS: 92% @80dB

Good morning gsusser,

This is going to be long, so grab a cup of coffee!! :-)

After scouring the planet for a workable TV Listening device, I decided that tens of thousands of churches couldnít be wrong, so I upped the budget to cover a small Williams Sound FM system. I wasnít even sure if it would work on a TV as I have never seen them used anywhere but churches, so it was a bit of a gamble, but it paid off big time and I couldnít be happier!
    Iíll link you to the best price youíre going to find on a small WS system, but letís talk some more about the pros and cons so you can better weigh the expense (currently $749) against practicality for YOU. http://www.assistedaudio.com/store/p...x#.VBWVmGwo618
    The link above takes you to a ďpackageĒ deal, which may seem more than you need, but itís the best price no matter what. It comes with enough parts for two people, but if you were to purchase just the transmitter and ONE receiver separately, it would cost you the same anyway, so at least this way you have spare parts, or could accommodate another listener.

Now, if you have not done any research on Assisted listening devices, you should know that there are much lower priced options out there, and probably the closest runner up in quality and function would be the Sennheiser system through Amazon at $250. Like WS, Sennheiser allows the use of different types of head gear, so you have the flexibility of using earbuds, small headphones or full coverage headphones, whichever you prefer, but aside from that, they are vastly different systems. The Sennheiser is an RF frequency system with far less useable range, and is more susceptible to interference than the FM platform of the WS system. The SH is also a rechargeable system, so it requires nightly replacement into itís base and if it goes out while youíre watching a movie, youíre done watching the movie. The WS uses two AA batteries that will last for weeks, so thereís no need to get up and put the receiver in a special holder or charger. Just turn it off and lay in on the coffee table or nightstand.

I also donít care for the large dial around your neck setup at all. The WS receiver is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and if youíre sitting on the couch or laying in bed watching TV, its extremely handy to just lay a finger on the volume wheel so you can instantly adjust TV volume as desired.

The WS receiver is built as a monaural receiver and typically uses only a single ear bud. However, dual buds are available and cheap mono-to-stereo adapters can be used to adapt any headphone or headset to the mono output of the receiver and you canít tell the difference. Personally, my hearing is much worse in one ear than it is in the other, so without single ear adjustability, my preference is to just wear the single earbud that comes with the WS in my good ear. If Iím listening to a music type show or concert, I will sometimes use my double headset just for a bit richer sound to both ears.

There are a couple of issues that you will need to consider:
    1.) Regardless of what type of system you use for TV listening, you will be limited to use at only one TV, so if you have more than one TV in your house that you use (den and bedroom), you will need a complete system for each TV. We have two TV in our house, so thereís a separate WS system hooked up to each one. I considered buying the cheaper SH system for the bedroom, but after some thought, decided to stick with the top dog for all the reasons Iíve already stated. If you travel, or must use one system for multiple TVs, consider buying a WS PPA T46 Personal PA Body Pack Transmitter, which is portable and can be either placed in front of the TV for use with it's mic or coneected to the Audio out port from the TV for direct input (I have one of these and use it for traveling or visiting friends for TV watching.)
    2.) Your TV, or satellite receiver, or cable box must have unmetered or ďLine OutĒ RCA type audio out jacks for optimum use. Hereís a link to a component that has RCA jacks, so you will know what they look like. Unmetered or ďLine outĒ means they are not tied to the volume or mute control of the TV. Using a headphone jack on a TV is possible, but will mute the TV to other listeners and you would have to use the TV volume control.
    3.) Your ears may be too small to comfortably accommodate your hearing aids AND ear buds at the same time. If that is the case, you should consider one of two options:
    a.) Slip the tip out of your best ear so you can wear the single earbud of the WS system while watching TV and still hear ambient sound through the other ear and itís hearing aid. or
    b.) Buy a set of flat headphones that sit just on the outside of your ears (with a mono-to stereo adapter) and enjoy the best of both worlds, You can wear your hearing aids as normal, and use the headphones, allowing you to hear TV through both ears AND hear ambient room sounds through your hearing aids. This works amazingly well with behind the ear/open dome type hearing aids like the ones you are trialing right now.
    Most high end hearing aids today come with some kind of optional streaming system so the hearing aids themselves can tap into those audio out jacks of your TV or Sat/cable box. This lets the TV sound play directly from your hearing aids as if THEY were earbuds themselves. This all sounds great, but in reality, itís a huge, frustrating, and sometimes painful compromise. Hereís the thing,
    a.) the streamer setups work just fine, but you have no practical volume/mute control, so when the action gets loud (or the stupid commercials come on) you canít turn your remote control down fast enough! (remotes are all touch screen or digital push button and donít have volume wheels for instant control). (painful)
    b.) the remote must be worn around your neck because distance from the remote to your hearing aids is critical and very short, although range from the TV to the remote is usually more than adequate.
    c.) While the TV to the remote signal is bluetooth, the signal from the remote to your hearing aids is a proprietary signal and is very weak and finicky so just turning your head can cause one hearing aid to momentarily cut out. (frustrating)
    d.) You will have to have a program setup for your hearing aids so they can deliver something close to what you might hear through a set of headphones. This is VERY difficult to achieve for users that have tone loss hearing rather than overall volume loss hearing. When your Pures are setup for hearing people and sounds, they are programmed to amplify or change the tones that you canít hear, and leave the ones you can hear alone. If youíre using them to stream TV or other audio, the sounds you can normally hear wonít be there because they are ignored by the program. So they have to completely set them up differently for streaming, THEN , when someone begins to speak to you while you are streaming, they not only sound really weird, but they blend in with the audio from the TV!! Life is sooo much better if you just spend some money on a top quality listening system and learn to use it along WITH your hearing aids so you have normal conversations and watch TV at the same time.

Iíve learned the hard way that hearing is part of your health, just like eyesight, dental work, diabetes, and anything else. The best way to approach the issue is to find out what you need, figure out what you want, add up what itís going to cost, then work out how youíre going to pay for it. Setting limits to your budget first is cheating yourself out of the best solution. You wouldnít choose a doctor because he was cheaper than all the rest, so donít treat your hearing any differently!

Moccassin, Thanks for the analysis. Was a loop something you considered? I'm considering installing a loop to use with HAs tcoil. It's notably less expensive than your FM system, but once it's installed would just require my HAs. Downside is that I wouldn't have a quickly available volume control. What I'm hoping for is that I'll have a better SNR and will be able to listen at lower volumes and won't get be blown over by big volume changes. I know it's old tech and not near as nice as the Williams system.

Regarding the buyhear.com question. I haven't bought anything from them, but they have been responsive to email and have been pleasant and helpful on the phone. Several on the forum have made positive comments about purchasing hearing aids from them. If Costco is convenient for you, they have pretty good prices on Resound streamers.

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    Moccasin... Was a loop something you considered?.....
    Thought about, yes. Seriously considered? No.

I was using a dedicated TV listening system well before I started using hearing aids. I absolutely love having total instant and discreet control over the TV volume. I've never had any experience with T-coil, as my original aids didn't even have that capability, but with my WS system, I have the ability to travel with it, so I really have no interest in a coil system.

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    I have a TV program on my KS7s (similar to Trax 42) that I'm not particularly happy with, but it sounds like you've had something change. Is while watching TV the only times your HAs reboot? I don't have a story to connect the feedback with the reboots, but if you can get the reboots fixed, I'm guessing the feedback is fixable too.
    Haven't had anything change, just my HA's reaction to having the headphones on. Before, when wearing the headphones, I had no problems with feedback or reboots. I had used my Noise/Party program with the volume turned down. Now, with the same setting, I get feedback and reboots. I've been taking out my HAs when using the headphones, but I think I'll mention the problem next time I go to Costco's HA Dept. Thanks for your reply.
    Rexton Trax 42 RIC (312) w/open domes (October, 2015)

-----250-----500-----1K-----2K-----3K-----4K-----6K-----8K
    L-----30------35-----35-----30-----40-----65-----65-----55
    R-----25------35-----35-----30-----60-----60-----60-----55

L: SRT=30dB, WRS 100% at 75dB
    R: SRT=45dB, WRS 100% at 75dB

ďBlindness separates us from things but deafness separates us from people.Ē
    ~ Helen Keller