Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Some tip after OPN new firmware update

Ah! Finally saw this post for the first time. I've had odd issues with Autophone. It seems to sporadically *detect* a magnet and kick in to my Program 3, then drop it, go back to default, pick it up again ... in short, exactly what my aud-guy had warned me about: other users had also complained that if the phone is moved even a fraction from the aid, their Opn will do likewise.

What I can't detect as yet is whether my Program 3 is identical to the Autophone set-up! That's cuz the magnet-triggering is just utterly sporadic - there seems no way to lock it in so it triggers automatically every time I'm on the phone. I've had it trigger a few times with my Ooma landline phone, but I'm not sure it's happened with my Samsung Galaxy.

Well, if the Sennheiser headsets work out, and are comfortable to wear on long phone calls, that would be a good test to see if Autophone is triggered and if the right aid volume is turned down. Will post reults when all is tested out. Cuz I would definitely want volume the SAME in both left & right aids for headset use. Augh.
    ===============

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    ^^^Thanks for explaining your audi's procedure to set the dedicated custom phone program for you, 1Bluejay.

Since you said that you saw the audi select "Phone" for that program, I now suspect it's one and the same phone program that the Autophone will switch the OPN to automatically if the magnet is detected. The only difference is that Autophone detects the presence of a magnet and puts the OPN into that phone mode. But now without the detection of a phone magnet, you can still manually go to that dedicated phone mode since the audi has already set up for you. In my case, however, the only way I can go to that phone mode is through Autophone since my audi didn't set up a phone program for me.

Now what would be interesting to learn is if or when you find a phone handset that has a magnet that triggers Autophone on your OPN, whether the phone mode it takes you to is that same dedicated phone mode the audi set up for you already (with the diminished volume on the right HA and upped volume on the left HA), or whether Autophone will take you to a different default phone mode where the left and right volume is still the same.

The reason why it's interesting to know is because while you may want to have more volume on the left and less volume on the right for a single-sided phone situation, if you happen to come upon a dual-speaker phone headset later on, then you would want equal volume on both the left and right ear. So if you're taken to the same phone mode that's been programmed by your audit either by Autophone automatically or by you manually, you now won't have an option to use a dual-speaker phone headset in case you ever want to.

And yes, I also had to reprogram my HAs to the TV streamer 3.0 again after the firmware update. It looks like you haven't used the Android OPN program yet because if you did, you'd probably also have to unpair and repair your OPNs on your Android phone again.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

2. Default

I was having the same phone program problem with my Siemens aids. I don't know if this is applicable to Oticon's, but the solution was to change the magnet from a small round one to a long strip of magnetic material, about 1 1/2 inches long by about 3/16 wide. This gives a much wider more uniform magnetic field for the aids to sense, and I can now move the phone around quite a bit and the aids stay in the phone mode.
    Last edited by bob h; 03-01-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    Freq 250 500 1K 2K 4K 8K
    Right -15 -35 -50 -60 -60 -90
    Left -20 -40 -60 -55 -65 -75

Quote Originally Posted by Gery_R View Post
    so newest fw is 2.0? Had a glipmse over the screen today and that's what my have installed...
    Was that you Gery who ordered a Fitting Link 3.0 from aurem.dk? If yes, it looks like you got it and were able to get it working with your OPN now? Can you share with us how it's working out for you? Did you have to pay any import taxes on it when it got through custom?
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

That is a very good tip to know! Makes total sense, too, that increasing the magnetic field would improve stability for the Autophone. Thanks for sharing!
    ========================

Quote Originally Posted by bob h View Post
    I was having the same phone program problem with my Siemens aids. I don't know if this is applicable to Oticon's, but the solution was to change the magnet from a small round one to a long strip of magnetic material, about 1 1/2 inches long by about 3/16 wide. This gives a much wider more uniform magnetic field for the aids to sense, and I can now move the phone around quite a bit and the aids stay in the phone mode.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    Was that you Gery who ordered a Fitting Link 3.0 from aurem.dk? If yes, it looks like you got it and were able to get it working with your OPN now? Can you share with us how it's working out for you? Did you have to pay any import taxes on it when it got through custom?
    nope I have an audi, however seeing how simplistic the software is, I kinda am not so shy anymore to try out a DIY attempt in the future. They just enter your audiogram and have a couple of options, DIY with OPNs seems to be a walk in the park.

There's a place here in germany that sells the fitting adapter for 265 so I wouldn't have to deal with importing it.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB Power Mold with Canal Lock

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

Default Totally unimpressed with iPhone to OPN connection reliability

I've switched to the iPhone 7 Plus from a Samsung Note 4 for 3 days now and I'm totally unimpressed with the reliability of the syncing and pairing between the iPhone and the OPN. A lot of good the last firmware did fix, or more like didn't fix!

Today my left HA dropped the connection several times and could not reconnect, and I could only hear out of the right HA from the iPhone. Forgetting the device and trying to repair was only successful once. After that, I had to forget device, then reboot the iPhone, and go through the complete re-pairing process again before I could reconnect. I tried to connect the left HA first because it was the one that got dropped out all the times. Don't know why the right HA didn't drop out but the left one did. I tried to swap batteries between the 2 but it didn't help. The batteries are still quite fresh anyway.

I use the TV Streamer in conjunction with the iPhone a lot. I wonder if maybe switching back and forth between TV streaming and iPhone streaming caused the dropped connection on the left HA. Also wonder why it's always the left HA that's problematic but the right HA is always OK.

The OPN seem to reboot randomly a lot more often now that I'm streaming directly from the iPhone. But even before the iPhone it would still reboot randomly every other day.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

I have the iPhone 7 plus as well as the opn 1. I had that issue once but when I opened the Opn app both connected without the need to reboot. I have not had any dropped calls (some issues with answering them) but overall no issues. I am a light phone user so that may be a difference. I seem to have had more issues with the Rexton Onyx mini pro streamer with an android phone my old phone would not connect to the Opn's at all.

8. Default

I only have one HA, so my experience will not equate to yours. I started with the OPN 1.5 months ago. It paired with the iphone 7 perfectly. When I tried to pair with my ipad, it wouldn't work until I turned off the bluetooth on the iphone. When I tried to revert back from the ipad to the iphone, it would only work if I turned off the bluetooth on the ipad and turned the bluetooth on on the iphone. When I have more than one device streaming bluetooth, the HA doesn't know who to listen to. It seems like sometimes it will change its mind and switch back and forth or drop and pick up.

I wonder if your using the TV Streamer at the same time as the iphone is causing the issue for you.

Also, it was reported in the media that the reason that Apple had to delay the release of the new wireless airpods was because of synchronization issues between the 2 airpods. That says to me that Bluetooth LE still has some kinks to be fully ironed out. Maybe your issues are related.

Thanks for sharing, both JustEd and Brilliant. To clarify, I didn't experience any dropped call on my iPhone 7 Plus because of the OPN per se, I only have an issue with the left HA losing connection with the iPhone and I had to "Forget Device" and reboot the iPhone to re-pair the OPNs. So far, I haven't had any dropped call yet, and if I did, it might have been the phone carrier service dropping the call on me and not the OPN.

For Brilliant, I can see how it can get confused if you have your HA paired with both iPad and iPhone simultaneously because ambiguity is presented here. However, I think that this is an Apple limitation and not an Oticon OPN imposed limitation, so we can't really blame this issue on Oticon. Apple is not really treating hearing aids as a full fledged Bluetooth device that has an option to be disconnected (but still paired), so the HAs are always connected to Bluetooth on the device. Otherwise, you would have been able to just go to one device and disconnect the HAs from Bluetooth and connect it to Bluetooth in the other device, then the ambiguity would have been removed.

If you don't want to disable Bluetooth on your iPhone while you're listening from you iPad, perhaps because you have other Bluetooth devices that you may want to stay connected to (like maybe your Fitbit or a headphone or headset so somebody can use your iPhone while you're on the iPad), one thing you can try, although I'm not sure if it'll work because I don't have an iPad, is go to Settings->Accessibility->Hearing Devices->Audio Routing and change from Automatic to Never Hearing Aids. Hopefully this may provide a way to disconnect your HA from the iPhone to remove the ambiguity when using your HA on the iPad. And vice versa.

I'd be interested to know if this suggested workaround will work for you if you want to try it.

You'll love the Momentum 2.0 headsets; I have them also and the mics are built in; two bidirectional mics;
    I use them with my 5 year old Agil pros and they work great for both music, tv listening, and phone calls;
    phone calls are unbelievably clear..could not believe the voice clarity..can only imagine what it would be like to have
    a new set of OPN's to go with them..sigh sigh..technology marches on..
    L........R.........Hz
    N/R...90........8000

Hearing Aid History:
    1992: ReSound
    2000: Siemens Signia CIC
    2010: Acoustitone Pro
    2012: Oticon Agil Pro
    2013: Custom Molds