Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New to all of this, need just a little advice

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jcwoman View Post
    Ah, this may be why I reacted the way I did. My audio said that non-rechargeables only lasted about 3 days at most. I instantly visualized having to change the batteries every other day and that just seemed ridiculous.

I also don't see having to recharge them every night as a negative. I won't be wearing them at night anyway. I have to recharge my ipad every other night, getting close to every night now that it's a couple years old. It's just the way it is with modern technology.

Cost is a valid criteria, so I am considering those comparisons you've posted.
    My regular 312 Costco batteries last me between 4-5 days, and that's with a lot of streaming on my latest HAs. My previous size 10 batteries on my older HAs lasted me about 6-7 days. I've never had any HAs where regular batteries last only 3 days at the most. Nor have I heard from anyone on this forum complaining that their battery last only 3 days. If that's the case, HA mfgs would have done something like go with a larger size battery or designed their HAs to draw less power.

But of course if you buy inferior batteries they may not last as long. Costco batteries are cheaper but I don't consider them inferior at all, even if they don't last as long as other more premium brands.

The issue I have with rechargeables is that eventually they degrade and need to be replaced. You just said so yourself about your iPad, used to be every other night but now almost every night. It's not about having to charge them every night that's a big negative, although for sure it's not a positive either. It's the degradation that's a negative. If my rechargeable battery for my HA starts out lasting all day, but after a few years, it lasts only half a day, then it becomes a big issue to me. Now I have to pay big bucks to send it in for replacement, because it's considered a repair.

So why would I want to be subjected to all that trouble, plus having to remember to charge every night, if it doesn't cost me anymore, and maybe even cost less, to use regular batteries that's guaranteed fresh every time without any worry of degradation? And HA batteries are so small that the waste/trash/environmental factor is not an issue either.

Another way to look at it is that if there's a clear and undeniable advantage of using rechargeables in HAs, then every HA mfg would have already designed every single one their HA models to use rechargeables already. So why aren't they?
    Last edited by Volusiano; 02-04-2017 at 01:40 PM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Are we talking about rechargeable 312 or are you talking about the new built in lithium-ion?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    Are we talking about rechargeable 312 or are you talking about the new built in lithium-ion?
    If you're asking me, I'm talking about the built-in Lithium ion battery. The rechargeable 312 shouldn't even be a consideration in my opinion.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

I think the BIGGER issue here isn't watch vs hearing aid vs standard electronic device. The issue is HEARING, plain and simple. You can live without a watch for a day, and possibly even other "standard electronic devices". But if you truly RELY on hearing aids to HEAR, you simply can't be wondering how long the rechargeable battery will be good for.

It's true that rechargeable devices (face brush, massage wand, toothbrush, Garmin watch, et al,) tend to degrade slow enough so you know ... "SHITE'S GONNA HIT THE FAN in a while" and do something about it. But with aids, it's just too critical to have their performance degrade followed by total failure of device one fine day.

On top of which, even when they are new, rechargeable aids are simply not optimal for all occasions. I traveled with a gal from US to Japan last year, and what with the long flight, layovers, yada yada, her rechargeable aids went KAPUT. She had to announce to the entire group, "Don't talk to me now cuz my aids are dead!" Imagine getting thru Customs when you can't even communicate for lack of hearing? Things are tense enough at int'l borders without giving a Customs agent cause to wonder what-all's going on.

I would absolutely NEVER consider a rechargeable aid, cuz I have zero margin for communication if the aids die on me.

======================

Quote Originally Posted by jcwoman View Post
    Well all of those possible bad things are the same for an Apple Watch, too. Are the odds of the battery or charger suddenly going bad larger than for standard electronic devices?
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

TOTALLY TRUE! And these days, battery life can be depleted even faster with streaming (TV, music, phone). My old Oticon Agil Pro aids with size 13 batteries (and little if any streaming!) last a good 11+ days. LOVE IT! By comparison, my new Oticon Opn aids with size 312 batteries last about 5, and then the TV streaming gets all wonky, so I know: it's time to change the batteries!

I definitely think that jcwoman's audiologist is off in saying batteries would need changing every 3 days. I've never ever had a battery last so little time. And yes, quality brand batteries can give one an extra day or two, but not much beyond that.

===================

============================

Quote Originally Posted by bob h View Post
    Remember, battery life varies all over the place, it depends on the battery, the specific model HA, the exact hearing environment etc. (and probably the phase of the moon too. )
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

I was asking the guy that brought up batteries as only lasting 3 days..

But don't actual give a crap one way or the other..