Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New to all of this, need just a little advice

1. Default

Some hearing aid models can use either rechargeable and non rechargeables. Seimens Pure 7px for one, and likely others.

I just did a VERY crude compare with the first prices I saw using Google. (I know, they're probably cheaper somewhere, but these numbers I think tell the story.) enough.

Non rechargables size 312, 60 batteries for $21, assuming a 5 day life, used in pairs, calculates to $.14 per day, $51.10 per year.

Rechargable size 312, 2 batteries for $25.30, assuming they're good for 1 year, calculates to $.07 per day, or $25.55 per year.

The rechargables might save a bit over a year, but you also must charge them once a day, and you add the potential failure of the charger and associated stuff on the H aids.

The non rechargables might cost a bit more but you get 5 or so days of continuous use without a nightly ritual.

The significant difference is only in how you view the differences.

And yes, the search for the perfect battery goes on. No different that anything else, if they could just pack more power into a smaller space.........
    Last edited by bob h; 02-03-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob h View Post
    Some hearing aid models can use either rechargeable and non rechargeables. Seimens Pure 7px for one, and likely others.

I just did a VERY crude compare with the first prices I saw using Google. (I know, they're probably cheaper somewhere, but these numbers I think tell the story.) enough.

Non rechargables size 312, 60 batteries for $21, assuming a 5 day life, used in pairs, calculates to $.14 per day, $51.10 per year.

Rechargable size 312, 2 batteries for $25.30, assuming they're good for 1 year, calculates to $.07 per day, or $25.55 per year.

The rechargables might save a bit over a year, but you also must charge them once a day, and you add the potential failure of the charger and associated stuff on the H aids.

The non rechargables might cost a bit more but you get 5 or so days of continuous use without a nightly ritual.

The significant difference is only in how you view the differences.

And yes, the search for the perfect battery goes on. No different that anything else, if they could just pack more power into a smaller space.........
    You're estimating the regular battery cost at $0.35 each. But if you can buy HA batteries from Costco, their per battery cost is only $0.177, or half of your estimate.

So with the Costco regular battery price, and you'll probably be able to find online comparable battery prices, then the per year cost between the regular batteries and rechargeable batteries is the same.

Also, there's a huge difference between the built-in rechargeables that come with the HA, vs the removable rechargeable that you buy online to substitute for the regular batteries. The built-in rechargeable that comes with the HA may last you a full day, but the removable rechargeable that you buy online (the kind you quoted above for $25.30) very unlikely will last you a full day because their capacity is dismally small. You'd be lucky if those lasts you even half a day, especially if your HA is more modern with heavy processing power that require a lot of juice. It says so right on the sales description about its limited current capacity.

So the only viable option for rechargeable is to buy the kind that's built-in to the HA to make sure that they're designed for that HA and can last at least up to a full day. And those are not going to be $25.30 to replace, if they can be replaced at all.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 02-03-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

I don't think there's any data, but I'd say no. If you want rechargeables, by all means go for it. My concern is that you're limiting yourself to a Starkey model soon to be released. If you really liked the Starkey then it could be worth the wait. If not, there are others available with the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwoman View Post
    Well all of those possible bad things are the same for an Apple Watch, too. Are the odds of the battery or charger suddenly going bad larger than for standard electronic devices?
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

4. Default

All true.

My overall point, not necessarily stated well, is that the cost of batteries is "relatively" low, but what's more important, at least to me is the differences in how you handle each. They're different, the individual user needs to decide which suits them best based on those differences of both cost and handling.

All true.

My overall point, not necessarily stated well, is that the cost of batteries is "relatively" low, but what's more important, at least to me is the differences in how you handle each. They're different, the individual user needs to decide which suits them best based on those differences of both cost and handling.
    Yep, I would never pick an HA because it has a rechargeable option. I would pick an HA based on everything else, and if it has a rechargeable battery option beside the regular option, I may consider that option, depending on how much more it costs.

Actually I wouldn't even consider a built-in rechargeable HA at all, unless they provide me with an option to use regular battery instead of the built-in rechargeable as well. That way if the built-in rechargeable go bad and is too expensive to replace or not replaceable, I can fall back on regular battery for good.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

Non rechargables size 312, 60 batteries for $21, assuming a 5 day life, used in pairs, calculates to $.14 per day, $51.10 per year......
    Ah, this may be why I reacted the way I did. My audio said that non-rechargeables only lasted about 3 days at most. I instantly visualized having to change the batteries every other day and that just seemed ridiculous.

I also don't see having to recharge them every night as a negative. I won't be wearing them at night anyway. I have to recharge my ipad every other night, getting close to every night now that it's a couple years old. It's just the way it is with modern technology.

Cost is a valid criteria, so I am considering those comparisons you've posted.

7. Default

Remember, battery life varies all over the place, it depends on the battery, the specific model HA, the exact hearing environment etc. (and probably the phase of the moon too. )

Quote Originally Posted by jcwoman View Post
    Ah, this may be why I reacted the way I did. My audio said that non-rechargeables only lasted about 3 days at most. I instantly visualized having to change the batteries every other day and that just seemed ridiculous.

I also don't see having to recharge them every night as a negative. I won't be wearing them at night anyway. I have to recharge my ipad every other night, getting close to every night now that it's a couple years old. It's just the way it is with modern technology.

Cost is a valid criteria, so I am considering those comparisons you've posted.
    My regular 312 Costco batteries last me between 4-5 days, and that's with a lot of streaming on my latest HAs. My previous size 10 batteries on my older HAs lasted me about 6-7 days. I've never had any HAs where regular batteries last only 3 days at the most. Nor have I heard from anyone on this forum complaining that their battery last only 3 days. If that's the case, HA mfgs would have done something like go with a larger size battery or designed their HAs to draw less power.

But of course if you buy inferior batteries they may not last as long. Costco batteries are cheaper but I don't consider them inferior at all, even if they don't last as long as other more premium brands.

The issue I have with rechargeables is that eventually they degrade and need to be replaced. You just said so yourself about your iPad, used to be every other night but now almost every night. It's not about having to charge them every night that's a big negative, although for sure it's not a positive either. It's the degradation that's a negative. If my rechargeable battery for my HA starts out lasting all day, but after a few years, it lasts only half a day, then it becomes a big issue to me. Now I have to pay big bucks to send it in for replacement, because it's considered a repair.

So why would I want to be subjected to all that trouble, plus having to remember to charge every night, if it doesn't cost me anymore, and maybe even cost less, to use regular batteries that's guaranteed fresh every time without any worry of degradation? And HA batteries are so small that the waste/trash/environmental factor is not an issue either.

Another way to look at it is that if there's a clear and undeniable advantage of using rechargeables in HAs, then every HA mfg would have already designed every single one their HA models to use rechargeables already. So why aren't they?
    Last edited by Volusiano; 02-04-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Are we talking about rechargeable 312 or are you talking about the new built in lithium-ion?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    Are we talking about rechargeable 312 or are you talking about the new built in lithium-ion?
    If you're asking me, I'm talking about the built-in Lithium ion battery. The rechargeable 312 shouldn't even be a consideration in my opinion.