Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New to all of this, need just a little advice

I think the BIGGER issue here isn't watch vs hearing aid vs standard electronic device. The issue is HEARING, plain and simple. You can live without a watch for a day, and possibly even other "standard electronic devices". But if you truly RELY on hearing aids to HEAR, you simply can't be wondering how long the rechargeable battery will be good for.

It's true that rechargeable devices (face brush, massage wand, toothbrush, Garmin watch, et al,) tend to degrade slow enough so you know ... "SHITE'S GONNA HIT THE FAN in a while" and do something about it. But with aids, it's just too critical to have their performance degrade followed by total failure of device one fine day.

On top of which, even when they are new, rechargeable aids are simply not optimal for all occasions. I traveled with a gal from US to Japan last year, and what with the long flight, layovers, yada yada, her rechargeable aids went KAPUT. She had to announce to the entire group, "Don't talk to me now cuz my aids are dead!" Imagine getting thru Customs when you can't even communicate for lack of hearing? Things are tense enough at int'l borders without giving a Customs agent cause to wonder what-all's going on.

I would absolutely NEVER consider a rechargeable aid, cuz I have zero margin for communication if the aids die on me.

======================

Quote Originally Posted by jcwoman View Post
    Well all of those possible bad things are the same for an Apple Watch, too. Are the odds of the battery or charger suddenly going bad larger than for standard electronic devices?
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

TOTALLY TRUE! And these days, battery life can be depleted even faster with streaming (TV, music, phone). My old Oticon Agil Pro aids with size 13 batteries (and little if any streaming!) last a good 11+ days. LOVE IT! By comparison, my new Oticon Opn aids with size 312 batteries last about 5, and then the TV streaming gets all wonky, so I know: it's time to change the batteries!

I definitely think that jcwoman's audiologist is off in saying batteries would need changing every 3 days. I've never ever had a battery last so little time. And yes, quality brand batteries can give one an extra day or two, but not much beyond that.

===================

============================

Quote Originally Posted by bob h View Post
    Remember, battery life varies all over the place, it depends on the battery, the specific model HA, the exact hearing environment etc. (and probably the phase of the moon too. )
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

I was asking the guy that brought up batteries as only lasting 3 days..

But don't actual give a crap one way or the other..