Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree 42 HA fails after loud noise... weird situation need advice

Default Trex 42 HA fails after loud noise... weird situation need advice

Here's my problem. I have had my trex 42's one year this coming February. In Sept I had some adjustments made to my HA program. Then shortly after my left HA would fail once in a while, stay low in volume for 30-60 minutes then just come back on. we swapped out receiver for new one, it failed once in a while still, so we shipped my HA back to Rexton for replacement. During the time it was getting replaced they gave me a loaner set of trex 42's. They programmed it coping my original settings. The left HA unit failed in the exact same way. When I got the replacement unit back it came with a new receiver too. so everything has been replaced, yet within a couple days the left HA failed. It doesn't shut off completely but drops volume so low it appears to be off. The only thing common in these three failed units is the program they installed for my hearing levels, so how can three completely different sets of HA fail exactly the same way? Has anyon else experience anything like this? Is it possible the program is causing HA to shut down to save from loud noises? It shuts down whenever wind makes a lot of noise in HA, or if I make a lot of noise (cough or sneeze). Well any idea?
    Last edited by Ratzo; 05-10-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Blog Entries

You might see if Costco would pressure them to replace them with the newer model KS7. I believe that is an updated Trax 42.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Any chance it could be something going on with your ear instead of your hearing aid? I'm not doubting you, but it's the general approach I use with problem solving--If I've tried multiple times and keep getting the same results, consider looking elsewhere for the solution. And to clarify, does the hearing aid "fail," or does it stop working intermittently? Ken's idea is an interesting one. Costco still sells the Trax 42 according to their web page. When I bought my KS7s the Costco HAS said they weren't selling any as the KS7s were a better deal.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Not trying to sound jaded .... but did you check the serial number on all three failed aids? If they were all different, it does sound odd, that the left aid would continue to fail in the same way, with loss of volume temporarily. Is there any other device in your home (phone, headset, etc.,) that you hold up to THAT ear, but not the right one? Maybe this is a multi-factorial situation ... Let us know your resolution! It would be nice if Costco just replaced the aids with a newer model, considering what you've been put through.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

I have a similar situation with new K7s. A quick loud sharp noise will shut down the ha closer to the sound. Sometimes it will come back on, sometimes I have to turn it off and then back on. They replaced the mike wire in one of them but the problem persists. Kind of like a circuit breaker for overload protection. I posted this problem in the general ha forum also. http://www.hearingaidforums.com/show...K7-turning-off

6. Default

I have had many problems with 2 different pairs of the size 13 trax 42s. One acted just like yours where a semi loud noise would shut down the aid. Shortly after that started it would make a clicking sound that would speed up and then the aid would shut down for a long time. I was told that one had a bad chip. Another one had a similar issue where the volume would drop off if it was exposed to moisture. A humid bathroom, humid weather, wet hair, and sweat would trigger it. Costco gave me some socks that helped and I also switched to rechargeables with the dryer / charger that worked until the charger burned up the batteries and aids. I finally got a good pair that has no problems and know how frustrating defective aids can be.

the moisture issue is one I haven't addressed. I switched from the Kirkland K5, which came with the battery charger/dryer, to the K7. I'm ging to ask the Costco HAS ifthendryer wi work with the newer model, if both are made by Rexton and use the same batteries.

OP, next time it happens switch receivers between aids. Does the problem follow the receiver or the aid?

9. Default

The Rexton dryer only works with rechargeable batteries. It will not dry without charging the batteries first, so the only way to try it is to switch batteries also.

Quote Originally Posted by MSCOFF View Post
    the moisture issue is one I haven't addressed. I switched from the Kirkland K5, which came with the battery charger/dryer, to the K7. I'm ging to ask the Costco HAS ifthendryer wi work with the newer model, if both are made by Rexton and use the same batteries.

10. Default

KS5 is the Costco version of the Resound Verso, KS7 is the Costco version of the Siemans 7BX (or Trax42 with updated processor). I believe both have some features removed such as tinnitus feature.

Quote Originally Posted by MSCOFF View Post
    ------250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 1.5k - 2k - 3 k - 4k - 6k - 8k
    L ----- 40 --- 30 ------0 ----25 ---15 -----5 -- 15 --- 45 --50-- 55
    R ----- 40 -- 30-------0 --- 30 ---20 --- 10 -- 20 ---45 ---55 -45

Resound Verso 961's - Open fit