Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Restaurants

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Morton View Post
    Rasmus_Braun,
    That's a very interesting article. I have been using Oticons Agile Pro (BTE) for 3 years, but switched to Signia Silk (CIC, Primax 7) four weeks ago. The universal no-custom-mould CIC is brilliant I think, but that's another story. Back to noise..I have not yet been able to test them in really noisy pubs, but I have used them on flights and in that setting I can tell you right now they are superior to the Oticons. It was easier now to talk to my wife with the noise cancelling/directonal program enabled. But of course, it can be that my Oticons are not optimized.
    And that's the clue here as many have stated in this very good thread. The audis only adjust according to the producers sw preferences. I read an article somewere of an electronic engineer who was fed up with countless visits to his audi so he did an in-depth research on how his HA operated and bought the necessary equipment to adjust them himself. He concluded after a lot of experimenting that the default programs leave a lot to be desired and that most HA users only uses a fraction of the HA's capability. He strongly encourage HA users to invest time and knowledge in this. But this is not for everyone of course..
    Hi Morton, I also want to clarify that the Signia article Rasmus_Braun was referring to was about Signia's Narrow Directionality and Adaptive Directionality vs Omni directionality. They did take a stab at a Competitor A whom they didn't name but it was obvious that it was the Oticon OPN, with its "open" paradigm being synonymous with the omni directionality. But it's not about Signia vs Oticon in general. It's about directional beam forming vs omni with brain hearing.

The reason I want to clarify this is because the Oticon Agile Pro that you have does not subscribe to the OPN's "open" paradigm. The Agile Pro's noise reduction is very much designed in the traditional beam forming directional fashion just like the Signia's approach. Well, maybe I shouldn't say "just like" because Signia claims some special approach like "narrow" and "adaptive", but I guess close enough.

Anyway, my point is that your confirming that the new Signia Silk you have is superior in noise reduction to your old Oticon Agile Pro (at least on the plane so far) is not really validating the results of the Signia article. You've only confirmed that the Signia's beam forming directionality works better than the Agile Pro's beam forming directionality.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Hi Volusiano,
    Yes it'easy to mix apples and bananas when discussing HAs You are right about what you say of course. And I know the Signia test was just done with different directionality setups using the "universal" HA program.
    But my experience was with the noise programs enabled and I noticed among other things that the background cabin noise was more supressed with the Signia. Communication was easier. Whether this is due to the noise cancelling algorithm or the directionality function or both I have no idea. According to my audiologist the Signia is also the only HA which can transmit the actual audio signal between the left/right devices. If this is true it gives maybe some interesting solutions?

I am actually on the waiting list for a trial of the OPN RITE. (Health Dept. pays for a HA set every 6 years). The Signias was bought privately as a CIC alternative to my RITEs. It will be interesting to compare.
    Last edited by Morton; 04-27-2017 at 03:15 AM.

Daft question but how can a single mic CIC have a directional function? The pinna effect is present, but that's it.

Whether the Oticon is 'better' than the other Signia aids (the link to the survey seems to have been pulled) is hugely subjective and based on your measurement criteria.

Problem is with all wearers, that it becomes virtually impossible to resolve the confirmation bias vs. outright performance as you become acclimatised to the settings.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I'm just hypothesizing, but if the CICs communicate wirelessly, couldn't the two individual mikes help determine directionality?

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    Daft question but how can a single mic CIC have a directional function? The pinna effect is present, but that's it.

Whether the Oticon is 'better' than the other Signia aids (the link to the survey seems to have been pulled) is hugely subjective and based on your measurement criteria.

Problem is with all wearers, that it becomes virtually impossible to resolve the confirmation bias vs. outright performance as you become acclimatised to the settings.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    I'm just hypothesizing, but if the CICs communicate wirelessly, couldn't the two individual mikes help determine directionality?
    I don't think they are array beamforming. Their 'spatial configurator' (About 2/3s of the way down on this link- https://www.signia-pro.com/silk-primax/) specifies the conditions for beamforming, which seems to be way more than you get in a normal CIC.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content

6. Default

According to my audiologist the Signia is also the only HA which can transmit the actual audio signal between the left/right devices. If this is true it gives maybe some interesting solutions?
    I know the OPN claims binaural communication between the left and right HAs using NFMI (Near Field Magnetic Induction). I've always wondered whether this is just sharing program/volume commands between the left and right HAs, or whether this includes sharing actual audio data between the two sides as well. Can any of our experts share their knowledge on what "binaural" communication means exactly?
    Last edited by Volusiano; 04-27-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

That is interesting about the Signia possibly being the only HA that transmits actual audio signal between the left/right devices. Hope someone else can chime in on that, too.

I find that my old Agil Pro ITC aids do a better job in the noise program than my new Oticon Opn aids. I have a directional mic set for noisy places on both sets of aids, but I find that the old Agil Pro aids really dampen down the ambient noise to enable better speech discrimination for me. Oh well!
    =================

Hi Volusiano,
    Yes it'easy to mix apples and bananas when discussing HAs You are right about what you say of course. And I know the Signia test was just done with different directionality setups using the "universal" HA program.
    But my experience was with the noise programs enabled and I noticed among other things that the background cabin noise was more supressed with the Signia. Communication was easier. Whether this is due to the noise cancelling algorithm or the directionality function or both I have no idea. According to my audiologist the Signia is also the only HA which can transmit the actual audio signal between the left/right devices. If this is true it gives maybe some interesting solutions?

I am actually on the waiting list for a trial of the OPN RITE. (Health Dept. pays for a HA set every 6 years). The Signias was bought privately as a CIC alternative to my RITEs. It will be interesting to compare.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

8. Default

I am pretty sure that Phonak can share audio signals between aids (called Stereo Zoom)
    Freq 250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    L 35 40 50 60 65 80
    R 30 35 30 40 60 75

Speech Discrimination
    L 48
    R 84

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    I find that my old Agil Pro ITC aids do a better job in the noise program than my new Oticon Opn aids. I have a directional mic set for noisy places on both sets of aids, but I find that the old Agil Pro aids really dampen down the ambient noise to enable better speech discrimination for me. Oh well!
    =================
    In my case, my old Rexton CIC can mute more noise in directional mode compared to my OPN in directional mode as well. I can't tell if my OPN in directional mode is anymore ambient-noise-dampened than in its default mode, although it's supposed to. My audi who also wears the OPN tells me her OPN directional mode works just like the traditional HA for her, but I don't notice that in mine. Don't know why.

But I don't need the ambient noise to be dampened down in order to help better speech discrimination for me on the OPN. Even with the ambient noise in the background, I still get speech clarity just fine in the OPN.

I definitely hear more static floor noise with the OPN in directional mode when in a quiet room.