Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: New Hearing assist devices better than hearing aids

1. Default

It seems that , in spite of the hype , none of the new devices currently available are category killers.
    For folks with mild impairment , the likes of NuHeara buds may suffice.

For hearing aid wearers, where the brain is already adapted to strong amplification feeds, the devices may lack enough power.

My search for functional hearing in noise continues , and I will continue to monitor new products and update this thread.
    I have already written to NuHeara and will attempt a dialogue to understand the options and the future prospects for an improvement in capability.

A question for those with the product , have you experienced any feedback ?
    A lot of engineering in hearing aids goes into minimising feedback and the lack of strong feedback circuits may prevent buds from increasing the amplification.

With a money back guarantee , there is little risk in trying the IQ buds.

Quote Originally Posted by tgh View Post
    It seems that , in spite of the hype , none of the new devices currently available are category killers.
    For folks with mild impairment , the likes of NuHeara buds may suffice.

For hearing aid wearers, where the brain is already adapted to strong amplification feeds, the devices may lack enough power.

My search for functional hearing in noise continues , and I will continue to monitor new products and update this thread.
    I have already written to NuHeara and will attempt a dialogue to understand the options and the future prospects for an improvement in capability.

A question for those with the product , have you experienced any feedback ?
    A lot of engineering in hearing aids goes into minimising feedback and the lack of strong feedback circuits may prevent buds from increasing the amplification.

With a money back guarantee , there is little risk in trying the IQ buds.
    Now that you have tried all the assisted devices and found none that work to well it's time to go back to your audiologist. As I said much earlier in this thread, write down all the problems you are having and when you are having them and go back to your audiologist and get them to make the necessary adjustments. If they have problems doing it, get the rep involved to help make the adjustments. I went to Applebees last night for dinner with friends and activated my speech in noise program and most of the background noise disappeared and I pretty much heard everything that was said at the table; it can be done.
    Last edited by seb; 07-04-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

3. Default

You are extrapolating your results across an ocean of variables.
    If you can hear.. congratulations.. lucky you.. :-)
    Do you have closed domes ?

There are probably thousands of disaffected aid wearers who cannot functionally hear in noise.
    You are suggesting that every one of them can hear.. it's just a case of getting the right audiologist.
    I say that's puerile crap.
    Read Grey wolf's post…

You are extrapolating your results across an ocean of variables.
    If you can hear.. congratulations.. lucky you.. :-)
    Do you have closed domes ?

There are probably thousands of disaffected aid wearers who cannot functionally hear in noise.
    You are suggesting that every one of them can hear.. it's just a case of getting the right audiologist.
    I say that's puerile crap.
    Read Grey wolf's post…
    I have custom vented molds. I've also seen both ends of the spectrum: an audiologist who is able to practice and program HA's but isn't able to do any more than program the aids by putting in the parameters into the computer and letting it do the programming and someone who not only knows how to program the aids but go in and tweak various frequencies to give you a HA that functions very well in various challenging settings.

So much is dependent on degree of hearing loss and the skill of your audiologist. You said your audiologist was well respected, however, that doesn't mean they know what they are doing or are even very good at programming HA's. You've probably paid a lot of money for your HA's and you deserve better than what your "well respected audiologist" has given you! Good luck!
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

5. Default

I have had at least five audio's fiddle with my aids since I started.
    I really wish you were right Seb that would be great , but my experiences , and the experiences of others , are different to yours.
    On their most aggressive settings, my aids amplify garbage in heavy noise.
    In noise the aids cannot separate the wheat from the chaff and I find it hard to believe that the solution is as simple as bit of inspired tweaking.
    I still expect that the solution is in shutting out the racket, heavy moulds in aids , or a combination of passive and active noise reduction a la NuHeara.
    NuHeara seem to have missed an opportunity , however a category killer will appear.. sometime.. :-)

6. Default

On the other hand.. :-)

this :

Nuheara Limited (“Company” or “Nuheara“) (ASX: NUH) is pleased to announce that Americas leading Consumer Electronics (CE) bricks and mortar retailer Best Buy (www.bestbuy.com) will extend IQbuds™ into 210 of their leading stores in the USA. This expansion follows the completion of the initial 90 days of sales via Best Buys on-line store and at their Ignite Store where sales take-off and consumer sentiment were closely monitored.

Commenting on this significant retail expansion, Nuheara’s Global VP of Sales, Mr Bruce Borenstein, said, “This opportunity speaks to the strong consumer demand for IQbuds™ and the potential of the hearables category in general. Nuheara is committed to work with the top CE retailers globally, both on-line and brick & mortar and Best Buy is a fitting example of what these partnerships are able to achieve for all stakeholders.”

or this…

Lewis Hilsenteger is a 33 year-old Canadian technology entrepreneur, and one of the best-known “YouTube millionaires” out there. His Unbox Therapy YouTube channel, created in 2010, today boasts over 8 million subscribers and collectively his videos have accrued over 1.4 BILLION views. In September of 2014, Lew famously posted his “bend test” of the newly-released (at the time) iPhone 6 Plus. Today that video alone has nearly 70 million views.

This past week, the Unbox Therapy team took a look at our very own IQbudsTM. Lew prides himself on highly honest reviews, and his videos involve no advance preparation in order to provide an unfiltered reaction to the product under review. Per the reactions in the video below, Nuheara’s earbuds that “give you super powers” clearly impressed the Unbox Therapy team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcnzA1WUI8Q

Have you ever tried a remote microphone? From my reading, Resound MultiMic or Phonak Roger Pen seem like the best, although any remote microphone is likely to give you better signal to noise ratio. The resound setup is far more affordable and seems like it would be pretty slick.

I have had at least five audio's fiddle with my aids since I started.
    I really wish you were right Seb that would be great , but my experiences , and the experiences of others , are different to yours.
    On their most aggressive settings, my aids amplify garbage in heavy noise.
    In noise the aids cannot separate the wheat from the chaff and I find it hard to believe that the solution is as simple as bit of inspired tweaking.
    I still expect that the solution is in shutting out the racket, heavy moulds in aids , or a combination of passive and active noise reduction a la NuHeara.
    NuHeara seem to have missed an opportunity , however a category killer will appear.. sometime.. :-)
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    Have you ever tried a remote microphone? From my reading, Resound MultiMic or Phonak Roger Pen seem like the best, although any remote microphone is likely to give you better signal to noise ratio. The resound setup is far more affordable and seems like it would be pretty slick.
    Yeah, I have tried the Resound mini mic and the Roger Pen. I could detect some improvement with the noise suppression but there was no wow factor for me. And they are not really practical in use – I placed the Roger pen in the middle of a large table during a board meeting and then suffered loud noises every time someone knocked the table or when they placed their cup down. I also have no real desire to give the mic to a speaker and then ask them pass it to the next person to speak during a group conversation.

With me, I recognise closed domes or molds would probably offer some improvement with noise suppression – maybe as good as the IQbuds – but my main gripe is without anything in my ears I cope with noise far better.

My HAs do help me hear quiet talkers/mumblers better when there is little background noise. And they also enable me to hear high frequencies but really all I want them for is to be able to hear speech more clearly when it gets a bit noisy – I can live without the birdsong!

In the last two years I have had three audiologists and two reps play with the settings on my HAs but the best device to date I have found for noise suppression is the IQbuds. Go figure.
    My Audiogram
    0250Hz R-45 L-50
    0500Hz R-15 L-15
    1000Hz R-15 L-15
    2000Hz R-15 L-35
    4000Hz R-50 L-55
    8000Hz R-80 L-70

Speech in noise is a really tough nut to crack. Your hearing in the typical speech frequencies is near normal, but you've clearly got abnormal hearing. I mention this as partial explanation why aids may not help much in noise. As you've realized, there is no easy fix. I think my solution would be to try to avoid those situations that are really challenging, but if you keep trying, you might find something that works.

QUOTE=Grey Wolf;153085]Yeah, I have tried the Resound mini mic and the Roger Pen. I could detect some improvement with the noise suppression but there was no wow factor for me. And they are not really practical in use – I placed the Roger pen in the middle of a large table during a board meeting and then suffered loud noises every time someone knocked the table or when they placed their cup down. I also have no real desire to give the mic to a speaker and then ask them pass it to the next person to speak during a group conversation.

With me, I recognise closed domes or molds would probably offer some improvement with noise suppression – maybe as good as the IQbuds – but my main gripe is without anything in my ears I cope with noise far better.

My HAs do help me hear quiet talkers/mumblers better when there is little background noise. And they also enable me to hear high frequencies but really all I want them for is to be able to hear speech more clearly when it gets a bit noisy – I can live without the birdsong!

In the last two years I have had three audiologists and two reps play with the settings on my HAs but the best device to date I have found for noise suppression is the IQbuds. Go figure.[/QUOTE]
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Blog Entries

As to the table knocks from coffee cups etc., Something like a mouse pad under the mic would help isolate the resonance past by the table.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare