Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hearing assist devices better than hearing aids

It was an extremely noisy venue for sure so not the typical restaurant. I was with a group of 100+ people and in a relatively small dining area. Everyone was having loud conversations on top of each other. I do have a separate directional program which I tried, but it didn't help unfortunately. The thing is since I hear the highs and mediums pretty good, I hear all the other extraneous conversations and they overpower the one or two people Im trying to converse with. That's why I figured I'd try active noise cancelation to see if it makes any difference. Probably won't, but then I'll return them within the 30 day trial. If Oticon ever releases a clip on mic or if the Roger Pen works with the ConnectClip, I will likely try that combo in the future.
    Last edited by Abarsanti; 03-31-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abarsanti View Post
    It was an extremely noisy venue for sure so not the typical restaurant. I was with a group of 100+ people and in a relatively small dining area. Everyone was having loud conversations on top of each other. I do have a separate directional program which I tried, but it didn't help unfortunately. The thing is since I hear the highs and mediums pretty good, I hear all the other extraneous conversations and they overpower the one or two people Im trying to converse with. That's why I figured I'd try active noise cancelation to see if it makes any difference. Probably won't, but then I'll return them within the 30 day trial. If Oticon ever releases a clip on mic or if the Roger Pen works with the ConnectClip, I will likely try that combo in the future.
    OK, thanks for the clarification. I agree that your reverse slope hearing loss plus the extremely noisy venue make strange bedfellows.

In my experience with the Bose noise cancellation, which is widely recognized as having the best noise cancellation performance in the market, I notice that the noise cancellation on the Bose is unfortunately still limited to the low frequency ranges and the mids and highs seem to come through without much noise cancellation at all. I think they focus on maximizing noise cancellation on airplane rides, hence the focus on cancelling the low rumbling airplane noise at lower frequency levels. So I'm not optimistic that the new device you ordered will help, but I guess there's nothing to lose to try it out since you have 30 days to return.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

3. Default

Noise cancellation COULD be made programmable to suit an individuals needs.
    There seems a logical opportunity to extend the capacity of the early production buds.
    Hearing aids plus , ie devices with more power across all functions, may well be a new string to the bow of the bud makers

I was at a VERY noisy bar and restaurant yesterday and didn't make out too good with my aids on.

Evidently your non-aided friends weren't doing so well either once the screaming to be heard starts its time to go out for a smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by tgh View Post
    Noise cancellation COULD be made programmable to suit an individuals needs.
    Can you elaborate and give more details? I don't see any any details at all on the Nuheara web site except for general but meaningless buzz words like "Super Intelligent Dynamic Noise Control", "Advanced Speech Amplification".
    Last edited by Volusiano; 04-01-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    Can you elaborate and give more details? I don't see any any details at all on the Nuheara web site except for general but meaningless buzz words like "Super Intelligent Dynamic Noise Control", "Advanced Speech Amplification".
    They have to be careful with what they say, and my comment was a more generic observation.
    I did a bit of reading on noise cancellation a few years ago and it is my assumption that cancellation is "tuneable".
    I do opine that a platform like the buds already appears to have the capacity to target different noise bands.
    To that end it seems a short jump to more specific frequencies

How long will this nuheara dog and pony show go on?

Quote Originally Posted by tgh View Post
    They have to be careful with what they say, and my comment was a more generic observation.
    I did a bit of reading on noise cancellation a few years ago and it is my assumption that cancellation is "tuneable".
    I do opine that a platform like the buds already appears to have the capacity to target different noise bands.
    To that end it seems a short jump to more specific frequencies
    Ideally, if easily doable (meaning cheap to do), I would think that you don't need to "tune" noise cancellation. You would just want to do it in ALL frequency bands because the source (the audio from the device where your headphones/earbuds are connected to) is already completely separate from the noise (the mics that pick up the sound from around you). So if you can already isolate the noise from the source easily, why not cancel the noise altogether? The only reason for "why not" is due to cost. It must be much more expensive to build a wider-band noise cancellation circuitry, hence it is bandwidth limited to control the cost or else nobody can afford your product.

So when Nuheara claims noise cancellation, it's actually not a single approach they have to do, but they have to deal with noise cancellation for 2 different situations. For the situation above where the source is easily separated from the noise, we'll see if their noise cancellation will really be any better than the Bose noise cancellation or not (which is currently the industry's golden stick to measure against). The new Bose QuietComfort 35 Bluetooth one is $350 right now, and the IQbuds are $299. Somehow I doubt that the IQBuds will have better noise cancellation than the Bose given that it comes in at a lower price point than the Bose QC35 when Bose have been making the best NC headphones in the market for decades already.

For the other situation where the source and the noise are not separated (listening to speech in a restaurant), the IQBuds will now have to compete against hearing aids and I suspect they use the same directional beam forming noise reduction approach like the hearing aids do. Note that this directional beam forming noise reduction approach is entirely different than the noise cancellation approach we talked above above where the source and the noise are already separated. It's a MUCH tougher challenge to separate and reduce the noise from the source in this situation where they are part of the same signal in the first place. It's actually the holy grail in the hearing aid industry to obtain, so I'd be VERY interested to see if Nuheara can really crack it like they claim when all the big names in the hearing aid industry have been trying to solve it for years and are still trying to solve it.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 04-01-2017 at 07:31 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    How long will this nuheara dog and pony show go on?
    Perhaps until we have a winner, would you like to offer a prize, or are you just here for the free beer ?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    Ideally, if easily doable (meaning cheap to do), I would think that you don't need to "tune" noise cancellation. You would just want to do it in ALL frequency bands because the source (the audio from the device where your headphones/earbuds are connected to) is already completely separate from the noise (the mics that pick up the sound from around you). So if you can already isolate the noise from the source easily, why not cancel the noise altogether? The only reason for "why not" is due to cost. It must be much more expensive to build a wider-band noise cancellation circuitry, hence it is bandwidth limited to control the cost or else nobody can afford your product.

So when Nuheara claims noise cancellation, it's actually not a single approach they have to do, but they have to deal with noise cancellation for 2 different situations. For the situation above where the source is easily separated from the noise, we'll see if their noise cancellation will really be any better than the Bose noise cancellation or not (which is currently the industry's golden stick to measure against). The new Bose QuietComfort 35 Bluetooth one is $350 right now, and the IQbuds are $299. Somehow I doubt that the IQBuds will have better noise cancellation than the Bose given that it comes in at a lower price point than the Bose QC35 when Bose have been making the best NC headphones in the market for decades already.

For the other situation where the source and the noise are not separated (listening to speech in a restaurant), the IQBuds will now have to compete against hearing aids and I suspect they use the same directional beam forming noise reduction approach like the hearing aids do. Note that this directional beam forming noise reduction approach is entirely different than the noise cancellation approach we talked above above where the source and the noise are already separated. It's a MUCH tougher challenge to separate and reduce the noise from the source in this situation where they are part of the same signal in the first place. It's actually the holy grail in the hearing aid industry to obtain, so I'd be VERY interested to see if Nuheara can really crack it like they claim when all the big names in the hearing aid industry have been trying to solve it for years and are still trying to solve it.
    You are certainly providing some interesting input , thanks….
    Bose qc's provide significant passive reduction , there is probably some research somewhere, but one assumes that passive muffling also negates bone conduction to some extent.

Is the failure of hearing aids to provide better performance in noise, or indeed better performance overall, a function of the cosmetic demands of purchasers ? ( all who will happily wear glasses and yet appear to demand invisible hearing assist devices)
    Hearing aids are manufactured to the invisible model, and it's surely reasonable to assume that a hearing device that was ten times the size and weight of a conventional aid would have very serious grunt.

NuHeara and Hear one are getting lots of publicity as the first out of the blocks, but there is still the Bose product to be released .
    Bose have heaps of experience , a stable business that won't fail if one product fails and the benefit of watching how the early adopters perform.

Hearing aid manufacturers may attempt to protect their pitch by also producing similar products depending on the market uptake.
    They have a pile of research and manufacturing experience and capability , not to mention the loyalty tens of thousand of audiologists worldwide who have a vested interest in their continued employment.

Interesting times