Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 108

Thread: New Hearing assist devices better than hearing aids

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d'Wooluf View Post
    I still think this class of consumer electronics will be huge. Maybe in the second or third generation?
    I'm not sure it'll become huge because the Apple Airpods will probably squash it like a bug. I think it serves a very small niche because most normal hearing people would probably go for the Airpods or something similar in the range of $100-$150 and wouldn't want the shell out $300 just for the noise reduction aspect. Remember that people with normal hearing can handle noisy environments well enough without any assistive device in the first place. All they want is a simple wireless headphones like the AirPods and $150 is already a lot of money for those, and they won't shell out $300.

    People who are hearing challenged enough would prefer to wear HAs instead. HAs are a lot more discreet and effective and much more customized for their loss than wearing these airbuds. So the type of people left who fit into the very small niche are people who have very slight hearing loss, not bad enough to need HAs, but slightly bad enough to may be interested in these airbuds. But even a big part of this very small niche will be in denial and want to act like they have normal hearing and won't be caught dead with an assistive listening device like this airbud. They will go unaided for as long as they can, until it becomes a big enough problem that they can't ignore it anymore, at which time they'll have already found that HAs are more effective and discrete for their hearing loss than these airbuds.

    Don't get me wrong, these airbuds may have some following. But for the reasons above, I don't really think they'll become huge. Now 2 or 3 generations later? By then they'll morph into something so close to HAs that they'll then have to compete with HAs and they don't have the decades of expertise in the business as the HAs mfgs have.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I'm not sure it'll become huge because the Apple Airpods will probably squash it like a bug.
    Time will tell. Much more sophisticated than airpods I think. You can mix in the outside world with what you're listening to on your phone. Eventually you'll be able to add in more sophisticated sound processing. They seem to be targeting the slightly-deaf and the 'pub deaf' and gadget-heads in general. Amongst the target crowd visibility is not a problem. There is also talk of helping kids in the classroom- kids with normal hearing but certain types of attention-deficit disorder.

  3. Default

    Thanks for the report, d'Wooluf… (love the nick… )
    NuHeara, as an au public company may well lose it's way facing the challenge of marketing against parochial home brands in the US.
    Other well funded org's are probably watching closely, as the market is conceptually very large.
    There is a lot of pressure to kick a goal early, as it gets plugs in ears quickly; but as time rolls on and reviews appear, there will probably be a clear winner
    Other than being mute in high noise, I'm not under any pressure to buy, and will watch and wait.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d'Wooluf View Post
    Time will tell. Much more sophisticated than airpods I think. You can mix in the outside world with what you're listening to on your phone. Eventually you'll be able to add in more sophisticated sound processing. They seem to be targeting the slightly-deaf and the 'pub deaf' and gadget-heads in general. Amongst the target crowd visibility is not a problem. There is also talk of helping kids in the classroom- kids with normal hearing but certain types of attention-deficit disorder.
    Hearing aid marketing resembles cruise ship marketing…beautiful people having fun… perhaps it's a US centric malady….
    I couldn't care less if my successful hearing assist device is a clown shaped hat (come in seb.. free kick waiting ).
    Folks in my (well heeled) social group couldn't give a raspberry about looking cool.. function rules first second and everything else.
    To that end there is a logical development for passive as well as active NR.
    My Bose Qc headphones do a fantastic job of killing the racket and I can always hear the hostie ask if I would like some more champagne…… :-)

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgh View Post
    My Bose Qc headphones do a fantastic job of killing the racket and I can always hear the hostie ask if I would like some more champagne…… :-)
    I have a pair of Bose QC 2 headphones as well. They do the best job out of all NC headphones I've tried in cancelling out noise in the lower frequency range. But it doesn't cancel out the upper middle frequency range. That's why you can still hear female voices OK even if you have it on. But it's not intended for listening to speech in noisy environments. It's intended for listening to a sound source from a device only, with noise cancellation to help improve your hearing experience with this sound source. Hearing other people talking around you with it on is just the result of it not cancelling out sounds in the upper middle range.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I have a pair of Bose QC 2 headphones as well. They do the best job out of all NC headphones I've tried in cancelling out noise in the lower frequency range. But it doesn't cancel out the upper middle frequency range. That's why you can still hear female voices OK even if you have it on. But it's not intended for listening to speech in noisy environments. It's intended for listening to a sound source from a device only, with noise cancellation to help improve your hearing experience with this sound source. Hearing other people talking around you with it on is just the result of it not cancelling out sounds in the upper middle range.

    Perhaps all all I need is a couple of directional remote mikes and a little sound processor strapped on the headband of my QC's and my hearing problems will be solved…. or maybe some new age earbuds…… :-)


  7. #68

    Default

    from the article

    and they don't claim to be hearing aids.

    So what is the point?

  8. #69

    Default

    Saw the same type of junk on the back pages of magazines 50 years ago right next to the xray vision glasses and the sea horses.

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgh View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Good article. I think these gadgets will be good for people who want some sound isolation in noisy places more than people who have the need to hear and understand speech better. The article kind of confirms this with the reporter trying out the Starkey Halo 2 and confirming that he feels more engaged with people with the Halo 2 on, instead of slightly removed with the Doppler Here One on.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •