Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hearing assist devices better than hearing aids

Quote Originally Posted by tgh View Post
    Hearing aid marketing resembles cruise ship marketing…beautiful people having fun… perhaps it's a US centric malady….
    I couldn't care less if my successful hearing assist device is a clown shaped hat (come in seb.. free kick waiting ).
    Folks in my (well heeled) social group couldn't give a raspberry about looking cool.. function rules first second and everything else.
    To that end there is a logical development for passive as well as active NR.
    My Bose Qc headphones do a fantastic job of killing the racket and I can always hear the hostie ask if I would like some more champagne…… :-)
    You don't need a device that is clown shaped, all you need is to go to an audiologist who knows what they are doing. Being well respected in the community is is one thing, but knowing what you are doing and knowing how to set up HA's so they work is another thing all together. Your hearing aids are only as good as the person programming them.
    Last edited by seb; 02-25-2017 at 12:52 AM.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    You don't need a device that is clown shaped, all you need is to go to an audiologist who knows what they are doing. Being well respected in the community is is one thing, but knowing what you are doing and knowing how to set up HA's so they work is another thing all together.
    I do believe that you are asking much an audi with talent over hearing buds that make no claim to be substitutes for hearing aids.

Personally I would go to the audi wearing the clown suit if he/she was the most talented.

Quote Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
    I do believe that you are asking much an audi with talent over hearing buds that make no claim to be substitutes for hearing aids.

Personally I would go to the audi wearing the clown suit if he/she was the most talented.
    Exactly. I edited my above post, I forgot to add that your HA's are only as good as the person programming them.

L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

4. Default

My original post header had a ? and it seems to have disappeared.. or maybe what I intended didn't happen...
    The ongoing diatribe by the "chattering class" seems to support and reinforce the premise that I am arguing that these gadgets will replace hearing aids.
    I am not.

A gadget may appear that will suit users who require a higher level of noise to signal separation than is currently available in HA's
    The current crop of ear buds is a move in this direction.

Hearing aids have a possible level of ambient noise reduction that allows most users to achieve functionality.
    Some users do not achieve functionality.
    Blaming the product, or the programmer, or the moon phase.. doesn't help.. what is … is.

Quote Originally Posted by tgh View Post
    My original post header had a ? and it seems to have disappeared.. or maybe what I intended didn't happen...
    The ongoing diatribe by the "chattering class" seems to support and reinforce the premise that I am arguing that these gadgets will replace hearing aids.
    I am not.

A gadget may appear that will suit users who require a higher level of noise to signal separation than is currently available in HA's
    The current crop of ear buds is a move in this direction.

Hearing aids have a possible level of ambient noise reduction that allows most users to achieve functionality.
    Some users do not achieve functionality.
    Blaming the product, or the programmer, or the moon phase.. doesn't help.. what is … is.
    Sorry to pop your balloon but I have seen first hand what can be done with the same HA's by someone who doesn't know what they are doing or doesn't fully understand what needs to be done to allow you to hear in difficult situations and someone who understands what needs to be done. The difference is night and day. My advice still stands: go to another audiologist or buy better HA's from an audiologist who isn't just well respected but actually knows what they are doing. But hey, if your assistive device ends up working for you, you've found your solution to your problem. Good luck!
    Last edited by seb; 02-25-2017 at 11:48 AM.

L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

6. Default

A very positive review for Nuheara

The IQbudsí primary purpose is to simultaneously help people control ambient sound and boost speech, and they exceeded our expectations.
    The earbuds donít pretend to be hearing aids ó they are not medical devices and wonít restore hearing.
    But if you could use a little boost in othersí speech volume and in separating speech from background noise (like this reviewer), these are the wireless buds for you.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/headpho...#ixzz4alitfn6D
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | DigitalTrends on Facebook

Buy them if you need help hearing what other people say but donít think (or want to think) you need a real hearing aid. The IQbudsí music playback is very good and they are great for hands-free phone calls, but they shine brightest in settings where ambient noise makes it tough to hear others.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/headpho...#ixzz4alrMhV1d

Donít buy the IQbuds if you are deaf or have severe hearing loss; they are not medical hearing aids and will not restore hearing. They do not reduce or cancel tinnitus. If you need more than 3.5 hours of music playback or 5.25 hours of speech enhancement, either lower your expectations or give these a pass.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/headpho...#ixzz4alrSB7TT

So the things are only good if you are not hearing impaired> I can not tell from the article that they are better than properly adjusted real hearing aids. It simply does not state that.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
    So the things are only good if you are not hearing impaired> I can not tell from the article that they are better than properly adjusted real hearing aids. It simply does not state that.
    There's a constant dance going on between suggesting that they can help you understand speech in noisy situations and telling that they aren't hearing aids. Legalities? Managing expectations? Simply won't do the job for people with significant hearing loss? There is that 30 day return though... Still thinking about it.

9. Default

What would be useful is a table that indicated the noise cancellation capacity of a hearing aid -v- bud.
    In my case , I have open fit ha receivers, but will have a plugged canal with a bud, so the bud should perform better in aggressive noise.

I guess the bud promoters are better to say they are not hearing aids, avoiding all sorts of legal implications.

Otoh , they may cut a huge swathe through the hearing aid take up market as folks with marginal hearing find that casual bud use in challenging environments meets their needs.

For au buyers, I think it likely that Nu Heara will probably price the bud in aud as soon as the initial rush abates.
    This would give them a big advantage over the US based competition.

I guess the bud promoters are better to say they are not hearing aids, avoiding all sorts of legal implications.

or they could just be saying so because they are not hearing aids.