Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hearing assist devices better than hearing aids

since I have been using hearing aids every year there has been a new solution that was going to revolutionize the industry and/or cure hearing loss and make hearing aids cheaper or obsolete. In that time my hearing aids went from $3,000 to $4,000 to $6000.

2. Default

Market forces are extremely powerful and interesting but it's hard to see a dedicated audio practice selling them as most will be tied to the ha industry.
    Costco and other shopfront type retail operators would probably happily do so.

Commenting on the retail expansion, Nuheara’s USA based Executive Director and SVP Sales & Marketing, David Cannington said “Brookstone is a great retail partner for IQbuds™. Their stores are primarily based in airports and major shopping malls throughout the USA, which are perfect high traffic locations for IQbuds™ consumers. Alternatively, Amazon offers IQbuds™ a different consumer reach. Amazon is without peer as an online retailer. As such, our initial Amazon marketplace presence in the USA, Canada and Europe will significantly enhance the Company’s prospects of increasing sales volume throughout the course of 2017.”

By total sales, Amazon is the world’s largest online (internet) based retailer. Nuheara’s IQbuds™ will initially be available on amazon.com sites in USA, Canada and Europe.

Brookstone, owned by Sanpower Group, is a leading specialized nationwide retailer of innovative and lifestyle products designed for smart living and have over 200 stores in the USA, Puerto Rico and China. Brookstone also sells products via an online store and its catalog. Brookstone will initially sell IQbuds™ in 41 airport stores and 10 mall stores.

“Together with the recently announced partnership with Best Buy, these new retail partnerships will strategically position Nuheara for rapid consumer adoption across the North American consumer electronics retail market. Furthermore, it lays a very credible retail foundation from which the Company will seek to globally boost IQbuds™ market awareness and increase sales volume.” said Nuheara CEO, Justin Miller.

The Company is continuing to work on further geographical expansion with various distributors and consumer electronics retailers. This expansion is also expected to include some channel diversification into major Telecommunication service providers and Audiological practitioners/hearing chains.

Quote Originally Posted by tgh View Post
    Thanks for your support Grey Wolf, but seb has beaten me with experience… ( to paraphrase a well worn urban saying,.. )

I had another opportunity today to consider the performance of my aids.
    In a noisy suburban coffee shop , I heard a person <1m away as well or better without my aids than on any of the available profiles or volume settings.
    I did not hear well enough with either option to maintain a continuous thread of conversation

It is my understanding that I have access to all the features the aids can offer and that they are competently professionally optimised for my hearing profile.
    My aids are contract maintained by a very well respected audiologist in au , ie not a franchised corner store outlet (which is a common source of hearing aids in au)
    I used to notice something similar when I was earlier in my hearing loss. In loud situations, I could hear speech better without my aids in. The answer was simple...when going into somewhere loud I would just take the aids out and put them back it in when I left. My loss has always been most noticeable in quiet situations anyway. As my hearing loss has progressed over the years, I've found that I can leave the HA in for (most) loud places and the noise reduction works quite well. I don't know if I would be comfortable wearing NR headphones in a restaurant/cafe/bar

[cut part about audiogram] Your brain has already grown accustomed to less sound from background noise so when the HA adds those frequencies back in, it can be overwhelming

Which brand/model of HA have you been using?
    Last edited by mcantu; 03-12-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    ----------------------------------------
    AC
    Freq.---L---R
    250----50--50
    500----65--55
    1000---75--75
    2000---65--60
    3000---65--55
    4000---65--60
    8000---65--70

BC
    500----45--40
    1000---55--55
    2000---65--60
    4000---45--55

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    I used to notice something similar when I was earlier in my hearing loss. In loud situations, I could hear speech better without my aids in. The answer was simple...when going into somewhere loud I would just take the aids out and put them back it in when I left. My loss has always been most noticeable in quiet situations anyway. As my hearing loss has progressed over the years, I've found that I can leave the HA in for (most) loud places and the noise reduction works quite well. I don't know if I would be comfortable wearing NR headphones in a restaurant/cafe/bar

Looking at your audiogram, it seems like the frequencies you're low in are those present in background noise and not so much in speech tones. Your brain has already grown accustomed to less sound from background noise so when the HA adds those frequencies back in, it can be overwhelming

Did I miss something? Did tgh post his audiogram somewhere?
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    Did I miss something? Did tgh post his audiogram somewhere?
    I was wrong about that. Corrected
    AC
    Freq.---L---R
    250----50--50
    500----65--55
    1000---75--75
    2000---65--60
    3000---65--55
    4000---65--60
    8000---65--70

BC
    500----45--40
    1000---55--55
    2000---65--60
    4000---45--55

6. Default

I don't know if I would be comfortable wearing NR headphones in a restaurant/cafe/bar

Why ?

I don't get the group hug thing about sharing their disability with everyone here and yet feeding the hearing aid function problem by demanding invisible devices to pretend to the world that we are just as beautiful as everyone else.

[cut part about audiogram] Your brain has already grown accustomed to less sound from background noise so when the HA adds those frequencies back in, it can be overwhelming

My hearing low to mid range was 100% , so my hearing aids are open fit and just try to add the higher frequencies that challenge me.
    I suspect that it may have changed a little and will have another hearing test sometime.
    I was hoping to have tried out the new buds before I went back , so I could share my excitement or disappointment with my audiologist
    I have already said that in heavy noise I can hear local conversations slightly better wearing my bose qc's than I can with my open fit ha's, whenever I have done it nobody laughs and they are all interested.

Phonak Audeo Q90's

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post

I appreciate you were directing the above to the OP however as I have the same issue I am wondering if you think my problems in noise are also due to my level of hearing loss - brain struggling to adapt? I have been wearing HAs approximately 8 hours a day for 18 months (currently the Rexton Trax 42) but only find them a benefit in quiet environments - and only a little benefit at that! I can hear better in pubs, social gatherings etc. without my aids but not nearly well enough to play an active part in group conversations. That is the reason I am very interested in the new hearing assist devices and the reason I follow this thread. There are people contributing here with obviously much greater knowledge of this than myself and they are saying that if hearing aids are adjusted correctly then all should be well - maybe not in so many words but that's how I interpret it. However, my experience with several audiologists has not born this out - I have been for numerous adjustments without any noticeable improvements. Now, based on the advice received here I have insisted on an appointment with the rep. This is taking place next week but I wonder if I could be wasting my time? From what you are suggesting I need to wait for my brain to acclimatise?
    Last edited by Grey Wolf; 03-12-2017 at 05:28 PM.
    My Audiogram
    0250Hz R-45 L-50
    0500Hz R-15 L-15
    1000Hz R-15 L-15
    2000Hz R-15 L-35
    4000Hz R-50 L-55
    8000Hz R-80 L-70

Quote Originally Posted by tgh View Post

Phonak Audeo Q90's
    It would be very helpful if you posted audiogram results.

Did your test include both air and bone measurements? After my last test, my HAS forgot to change my BC scores when editing my audiogram in the Resound software. When I went back for an adjustment I pointed that out and once she made the changes, there was a noticeable improvement in what I was hearing
    AC
    Freq.---L---R
    250----50--50
    500----65--55
    1000---75--75
    2000---65--60
    3000---65--55
    4000---65--60
    8000---65--70

BC
    500----45--40
    1000---55--55
    2000---65--60
    4000---45--55

9. Default

I don't recall having a copy of my test results, if I find them I will post them.

"My hearing low to mid range was 100% , so my hearing aids are open fit and just try to add the higher frequencies that challenge me."

Just wondering how you will expect a one size fits all approach to this type of hearing when it appears that you only need help in the higher areas.

which lies my concern in most OTC hearing solutions