Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hearing assist devices better than hearing aids

1. Default New Hearing assist devices better than hearing aids

My AudeoQ90's are quite useless in noisy environments.
    No amount of fiddling by the Audiologist helps.
    I am extremely sensitive to mid range and quite insensitive to higher sounds.
    My general hearing is good enough to get by daily without aids.

I actually hear better in noise with a pair of nr headphones than I do with the aids.

Soo.. from my point of view at least , salvation approacheth..

Three competing products , all promising super aggressive noise cancellation and good speech recognition and processing.

Nuheara, Doppler Labs and Bose.

The first two have crowd funded and have or are bout to fulfill the cf pre orders.
    Both are accepting retail orders with delivery in the next few months.
    Strangely.. they are both the same price $299 usd
    Bose are showing and telling but availability will probably q3.. and the price will probably be … $299

Some of these products are already in ears and out and about , would love to hear some real world experiences

I'd be shocked if these things helped you more than properly fit hearing aids. Sounds to me like you need different/better HA's/audiologist.

IMHO.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by tgh View Post

I actually hear better in noise with a pair of nr headphones than I do with the aids.

Three competing products , all promising super aggressive noise cancellation and good speech recognition and processing.

The first two have crowd funded and have or are bout to fulfill the cf pre orders.
    Bose are showing and telling but availability will probably q3.. and the price will probably be … $299

Some of these products are already in ears and out and about , would love to hear some real world experiences
    Marc

Hz 250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 1.5k -- 2k -- 3k -- 4k -- 6k -- 8k
    R: 20 -- 25 -- 35 -- 35 -- 45 --- 50 -- 55 -- 60 -- 55 -- 70
    L: 15 -- 25 -- 35 -- 40 -- 45 --- 60 -- 50 -- 60 -- 55 -- 65
    [Opn]

I would second getting a different audiologist.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

4. Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    I would second getting a different audiologist.
    I have been through a few audio's and the current practitioners seem to know their stuff.
    If newer aids would help they would so advise.. but they do not.

They have given up in terms of getting me to hear in strong noise.
    The aids just amplify garbage, I can hear better without them.

Anyway this post was asking if anyone had tried the new devices, rather than seeking to discuss the trenchant belief systems of professional hearing aid marketers… :-)

I have been through a few audio's and the current practitioners seem to know their stuff.

Anyway this post was asking if anyone had tried the new devices, rather than seeking to discuss the trenchant belief systems of professional hearing aid marketers… :-)
    If you look at post #20 on this thread http://www.hearingaidforums.com/show...highlight=bose, poster LisaC54 said she had a chance to try out the Bose Hearphones and she liked it a lot. There are more posts that ensued in the thread that discussed it further.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    If you look at post #20 on this thread http://www.hearingaidforums.com/show...highlight=bose, poster LisaC54 said she had a chance to try out the Bose Hearphones and she liked it a lot. There are more posts that ensued in the thread that discussed it further.
    Thank you very much , exactly what I was looking for.
    I did a search before posting but clearly did not set the right parameters.

For the audio's reading this.. I have a pocket with a raft of selectable options.
    Of course the aids work really well as the din starts to escalate and only quit when it reaches a certain threshold.
    Maybe the new devices will help where the aids do not….and maybe they will not .. we shall see

I will buy myself one of the two currently available and see how we go.

Sorry, but since no one here knows the degree of your hearing loss, you may be at about the best hearing you are going to get. OR you audiologist isn't as good as your think they are. Hearing aids are going to help, but they won't cure your hearing loss and allow you to hear like you have no hearing loss. I also know that HA's can be set up to work quite well in noisy environments because I have a pair that works really well in that environment. So I guess you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, so either your hearing is too far gone, too sensitive at certain frequencies(recruitment or Hyperacusis) or you need to see another audiologist IMHO.
    Last edited by seb; 01-28-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

You should really post your audiogram in your signature to begin with, so at least we know what your hearing loss is like to get an idea of why you're having issues with HAs in noisy environments.

But you did describe it here a little bit: extremely sensitive to the mid range (which I assume to be very normal hearing in low range, and maybe even better then normal hearing mid range), quite insensitive to higher frequency sounds, good enough to get by daily without aids -> sounds like a typical curve loss, but maybe the ski slope is a bit further out at 2 or 4 KHz maybe? And that's probably why you can get by without aids, because if your ski slope is quite far out, you have normal hearing in the majority range of speech, except maybe you miss out on the s and sh'es, but there's still plenty of content in the speech for you to catch to make sense of without needing the HAs. Maybe you just can't hear the birds tweeting or crickets chirping on the high ends.

I'm no audi but I'm just guessing here that in noisy environments, maybe the HA's amplification of the high frequencies (needed to compensate for your high end loss) is interfering with your being able to hear the mid range somehow, therefore causing your hearing to become ineffective in noisy environments. This is not your HA's fault because it's doing its job like it's supposed to do (amplifying the high ends for you), but maybe you have some kind of special hearing condition/issue where too much high end amplification of the noise mess up your mid range hearing. This may be a rare condition that you have but most other folks don't have and that's why the HAs work out OK for them in noisy situation but not for you. And I'm not talking about "ear" hearing here, I'm talking more about "brain" hearing, meaning that maybe your brain is wired a little differently and it just can't process sounds in the mid range properly if there's too much high end interference due to noise.

Of course all this is just guessing, who knows for sure. But maybe these special devices from Bose or Nuheara or Doppler Labs will work better for you in noise, just because they're more generic and focus more on noise cancellation/reduction and beam forming but don't amplify high ends like your HAs do, so they won't interfere with your mid range hearing for the speech in noise.

If you find that these devices actually indeed work out better for you in noisy environment after all, maybe one thing to try with your HAs is to lower amplification on the high ends but only when in noisy mode, but retain normal high end amplification in all other modes (like regular or quiet or music modes, etc). I don't know, just something worth tinkering with if there's nothing to lose to try it out. The idea here is that your HAs have noise reduction and beam forming features just like those devices, maybe even better. So if those devices work for you in noise and the only difference is that your HAs also amplify the highs, then remove that amplification in noise to make your HAs behave more like those devices.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 01-28-2017 at 02:00 AM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

9. Default

I have to concur with tgh and I too am desperate to find a hearing device which helps me in noise. I am going to investigate the devices mentioned - in fact, I sent an email to Bose a few weeks ago asking when they will be available in Australia but have not yet heard anything back. q3? Thanks for the info.

I have tried four different hearing aids over the last two years and have had numerous adjustments from three different audiologists.

I do get a slight benefit from my current hearing aids in quiet environments, e.g. I can hear my own voice a little clearer.

However, in noise - no chance - I was at a wedding reception last week and the background noise was overbearing! I eventually took out my aids and I was at least able to tune in to the people close to me, albeit with some difficulty.
    My Audiogram
    0250Hz R-45 L-50
    0500Hz R-15 L-15
    1000Hz R-15 L-15
    2000Hz R-15 L-35
    4000Hz R-50 L-55
    8000Hz R-80 L-70

I'm actually surprised and disheartened that in 2017 folks here are not getting the aids they need that work in many environments. I don't know if it's a brand issue or technology issue or maybe just proper fitting.

I've worn aids for over 30 years, and at least from 1990s onwards, have been able to set a program for noisy environments (weddings, parties, restaurants, busy shopping malls, large auditoriums, etc.,) to help me hear as good or better than those with normal hearing. My brands have varied from Phonak to AGX to Oticon, and all got the job done for me.

I agree with posts here that say tinker with the frequencies & gain. It could be that with some adjustments, the "shatter" of noisy places can be diminished a bit. Of course, directionality also helps, cutting out sound from behind.

I hope anyone here with trouble hearing in noisy settings (or on the phone for that matter) can be persistent to find better aids. GOOD LUCK to all.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90