Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Siemens Aquaris Discontinued??

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
    I'll go one further - at least two HA mfg's, including my Widex Beyond, claim "IP68", but in the fine print, and if you speak to a factory rep directly, they are HORRIFIED at the thought of their HA's getting wet and strongly recommend against it. The Aquaris was the only HA I found that would "officially" support actual submersion and getting wet in general. I have gone snorkeling, swimming, splashing around, and general all around salt-water sports with my Aquaris and it has been solid.
    How long can you wear the Aquaris before it goes out? Doesn't it stop after 30 minutes because the battery runs out of air? Thanks.

I can't stay underwater that long! It has a air-permeable membrane in the battery door. So long as I come up for air here and there, it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by jljones1 View Post
    How long can you wear the Aquaris before it goes out? Doesn't it stop after 30 minutes because the battery runs out of air? Thanks.
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

3. Default

Thanks, this is very helpful. I've also seen the aids on Ebay but I just don't have the stomach to pay that much money for something that may not work out of the box, let alone not offer any warranty.

I mainly want the IP68 aids so I can kayak, go white water rafting, and take surfing lessons. Kayaking without hearing, while it's possible, is pretty dangerous for someone new to the sport like me.

When I swim at the beach I usually just put my aids into a waterproof bag.

I'll start looking at all the aids you mentioned and pass along any new information I get. Thanks.

4. Default

iHear Medical has a Facebook page where people comment on their experiences with iHear products or ask questions. The experiences have been mostly positive and iHear seems to be a good, responsive company to deal with.

5. Default

Found something else that might be useful. A company called Hal-Hen that's been around since the 1940s makes hearing aid accessories. They have a product called Super Seal for BTEs. It's a water proof protective sleeve you can put on a BTE. I don't think they sell directly to consumers so their products would have to be ordered through a hearing aid dispenser or audiologist. http://www.halhen.com/cgi-bin/info.c...96&ls=sw~seals

Have you figured it out yet?

7. Default

Thanks for the link. I wondered where those seals had gone :-)

I used to use those seals when playing soccer. They're basically like a condom that fits over the hearing aid. You have to use the tool pictured to stretch out the seal enough to put over the hearing aid. They actually work pretty well -- despite being difficult to put on the hearing aids -- but they definitely don't totally encase the hearing aid. I really doubt they'd work for swimming or water dunks of more than a few seconds.

I did call iHear the other day and they said no way they'd use their aids in the water.

Also, the UK manufacturer of IP 68 hearing aids seems to produce "shooters" hearing aids -- hearing aids for competitive shooters that have a hearing loss. If you could get them, they might work but their settings are all tied to different types of shooting competitions. So, I'm not thinking that's much of a solution either.
    Freq 250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    Right 50 60 80 90 90 120 120 115 110
    Left 50 70 75 80 85 NR NR NR NR

Resound Enzo2 988s since April 2017

8. Default

No solution yet. Haven't called about the rechargeable Siemens aids that are supposed to be IP68, but don't think there's anything on the market that specifically says "you can take this hearing aid swimming, kayaking, surfing and it will be ok."

9. Default

Perhaps using a combination of things might work. For example, an iHear Max (or some IP68 aid) plus a swim cap or ear band.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jljones1 View Post
    Perhaps using a combination of things might work. For example, an iHear Max (or some IP68 aid) plus a swim cap or ear band.
    Well, that's certainly possible. I would think using the sealer plus a swim cap or ear band that is waterproof but allows airflow might work. I don't know how the hearing could function if it doesn't have air access for the batteries and blocks out all sound.

iHear Max according to customer service isn't 8 rated against water (I think it's 7). But the iHear aids are inexpensive enough that it could be worth the experiment. Or maybe they would provide one for the experiment. I'll take a look at different swim caps / bands and see if there's a possible way forward.