Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Phonak Rechargeable BR

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Posts
    16

    Default Phonak Rechargeable BR

    Is any one bothered that the rechargeable battery in The Phonak BR range is expected to last only 4 years...after which the aid is "dead". Do people think this is acceptable. In my mind that's not long enough but was wondering if I was an exception. According to Phonak after the warranty period if that happens the customer has the option of having the aid replaced for the cost of a major repair.
    Last edited by AusMatt; 02-06-2017 at 08:27 PM.

  2. Default

    That's actually amazing that Phonak has developed a battery that does what is does and lasts that long. It will be a simple replacement when the time comes to have that done by Phonak. The opinion of a retired journeyman electronics tech!
    Frequ: L/R
    0250: 35/25
    0500: 45/45
    0750: 65/75
    1000: 70/70
    2000: 75/70
    3000: 65/65
    4000: 65/65
    6000: 70/60
    8000: 65/65

    VA Service Connected; USAF 24 years, HAs since 1980

    Current VA HAs:
    Phonak Audeo B90-R RIC, ComPilot II, TVLink II

    Previous HAs:
    Phonak Naida S IX xP CRT w/ ComPilot & TVLink S
    Starkey S Series iQ Directional RIC AP 312
    Starkey AXENTII PDI DIGITAL HC
    Starkey SA T9 CICs
    Starkey SA C8 Full Shell (1st VA aids)
    Widex SENSOs (Company Ins)
    Zenith BTEs (AF Issued)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G View Post
    That's actually amazing that Phonak has developed a battery that does what is does and lasts that long. It will be a simple replacement when the time comes to have that done by Phonak. The opinion of a retired journeyman electronics tech!
    Actually it's not a simple replacement....but when it does happen, according to Phonak, the customer has the option of new aid with a "Major Repair" charged.
    Last edited by AusMatt; 02-06-2017 at 08:23 PM.

  4. Default

    I've seen the construction and it is an easy exchange. Must be different in Oz.
    Frequ: L/R
    0250: 35/25
    0500: 45/45
    0750: 65/75
    1000: 70/70
    2000: 75/70
    3000: 65/65
    4000: 65/65
    6000: 70/60
    8000: 65/65

    VA Service Connected; USAF 24 years, HAs since 1980

    Current VA HAs:
    Phonak Audeo B90-R RIC, ComPilot II, TVLink II

    Previous HAs:
    Phonak Naida S IX xP CRT w/ ComPilot & TVLink S
    Starkey S Series iQ Directional RIC AP 312
    Starkey AXENTII PDI DIGITAL HC
    Starkey SA T9 CICs
    Starkey SA C8 Full Shell (1st VA aids)
    Widex SENSOs (Company Ins)
    Zenith BTEs (AF Issued)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Posts
    16

    Default

    That's what Phonak HQ has said...be interested if anyone has had a discussion with their dispenser about it?
    Last edited by AusMatt; 02-06-2017 at 08:39 PM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Simply do not buy that particular aid.. easy peasy lemon squeezy

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    Simply do not buy that particular aid.. easy peasy lemon squeezy
    I concur. Vote with your wallet. Not sure why people even want to bother with rechargeable HAs if the economics don't add up compared to using regular fresh batteries. Only reason I can see is for people with dexterity issues and find changing batteries a challenge.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AusMatt View Post
    That's what Phonak HQ has said...be interested if anyone has had a discussion with their dispenser about it?
    I asked my dispenser about this. He said that anytime the HAs are sent to Phonak for repair (regardless of warranty status), they replace the battery at no charge. After the warranty expires, if only the battery needs to be replaced, it's $170 from Phonak plus the dispenser's (nominal) out of warranty charge.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGal View Post
    I asked my dispenser about this. He said that anytime the HAs are sent to Phonak for repair (regardless of warranty status), they replace the battery at no charge. After the warranty expires, if only the battery needs to be replaced, it's $170 from Phonak plus the dispenser's (nominal) out of warranty charge.
    That's pretty steep, probably almost $200 to replace the battery after warranty expires. Is this quote for a pair of HAs or for 1 HA?

    Given that you know about this cost, why would you still want to buy the rechargeable version? Given the per regular battery cost of about $0.18 based on the Costco battery price, it amounts to $16/year battery cost for each HA assuming that it lasts for 4 days (which is a very conservative estimate). Or $66 over 4 years per HA. Compared to almost $200K battery replacement cost.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    That's pretty steep, probably almost $200 to replace the battery after warranty expires. Is this quote for a pair of HAs or for 1 HA?

    Given that you know about this cost, why would you still want to buy the rechargeable version? Given the per regular battery cost of about $0.18 based on the Costco battery price, it amounts to $16/year battery cost for each HA assuming that it lasts for 4 days (which is a very conservative estimate). Or $66 over 4 years per HA. Compared to almost $200K battery replacement cost.
    I feel a bit silly but actually forgot to ask whether that cost was for one or both HAs. I have an appointment tomorrow and will ask then. But I went with the rechargables because, much to my surprise, I like them better. Never thought I would want that feature, but it didn't take long for me to learn to "trust" them, and it is nice not to have to fuss with batteries. Hopefully they will remain trustworthy for a few years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •