Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: RIC wire life

  1. #11

    Default

    When I first got my Trax 42s, they had tulip domes, and I used the wire to help put them in and to take them out. Some months later I got custom molds. My molds look very different from the pictured ones, and the receiver doesn't clip in at all. It has to be pushed inside, and I saw the audi using the wire for some of the pushing. However, the molds have extensions, which I don't know the name of but call whiskers, which I use instead of the wire for removing the mold. The picture provided of the Widex mold is a little blurry, but it looks to me as if there's also a whisker on it.

    For inserting, the base of my molds is wide enough for me to push on it with my index fingernail, so I don't have to use the wire there either.

    From my first months' experience and watching the audi use the wire to push the receiver into the mold, I'd say my receiver wires and their connections at both ends are pretty tough. I've had my aids 17 months without a problem. Unless the Widex wire to receiver connection has some design weakness, it seems to me a wire that needed to be replaced after a month had a defect.
    SRT R 60 / L 55
    WRS R 80dB 72% L 75dB 64%
    250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    L 50 55 55 60 60 65 65 65
    R 50 60 60 55 60 60 65 65

    Rexton Trax 42s - 9/1/15
    Updated Hearing Test as of 11/1/16

  2. #12

    Default

    Thanks for the feedback. I use the wire neither for inserting nor extracting, but it does get squashed when I seat the mold home. I have fat fingers and short nails....


    Quote Originally Posted by tribalrose View Post
    When I first got my Trax 42s, they had tulip domes, and I used the wire to help put them in and to take them out. Some months later I got custom molds. My molds look very different from the pictured ones, and the receiver doesn't clip in at all. It has to be pushed inside, and I saw the audi using the wire for some of the pushing. However, the molds have extensions, which I don't know the name of but call whiskers, which I use instead of the wire for removing the mold. The picture provided of the Widex mold is a little blurry, but it looks to me as if there's also a whisker on it.

    For inserting, the base of my molds is wide enough for me to push on it with my index fingernail, so I don't have to use the wire there either.

    From my first months' experience and watching the audi use the wire to push the receiver into the mold, I'd say my receiver wires and their connections at both ends are pretty tough. I've had my aids 17 months without a problem. Unless the Widex wire to receiver connection has some design weakness, it seems to me a wire that needed to be replaced after a month had a defect.
    ..250..500..1000..2000..4000..8000
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

  3. Default

    I barely have my RIC wires on my OPN for only 3.5 months, so still going strong and no visible sign of kink or dent at all, but that's to be expected.

    I'm also in the habit of pushing my RIC in all the times with my pinky fingers, especially if I start feeling occluded (I have a single vent closed dome).
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

  4. #14

    Default

    1 month is a very quick wire changeover - could have been a faulty wire but I would also recommend to cease pushing the mould in continually as I have a feeling this has played a big part in the minimal lifespan. The Widex RIC wires are Kevlar coated so the wire itself is pretty strong. You're much more likely to get a distorted receiver rather than a physical break in the wire itself - And lifespan, well If you're keeping it clean and dry than a year is a pretty standard timeframe for a wire changeover in my clinic. However, it is dependent on the type of conditions you are wearing the aid in, wax production etc Also, if you're worried about the mould popping out, get the Audi to remake the moulding with a canal / half concha lock - I find them to be much better in terms of retention than the sleeve mould alone

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
    So last night my RIC broke. Started cutting in and out and was sensitive to wire movement, then stopped working altogether. I'm assuming this is a broken wire (Widex Beyond), going in this afternoon to have it fixed. My question is - what is your experience with RIC devices? This is my first, and I suspected that wire would be a weak spot, but I did expect it to last longer than a month...... I don't see how it can not be a weak point - I have a full custom mold, you pretty much have to put pressure on that wire in one fashion or another when putting the mold in your ear.
    is the wire too short in general? Do you still have room to move it once it is behind the ear? maybe is was faulty from the get go.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell with support

    45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

  6. #16

    Default

    Thanks, all. The mold is fine, it doesn't actually come out, just a habit. The wire is plenty long, I'm starting to feel like I just need to modify my years of CIC habits to accommodate the new scenario.
    ..250..500..1000..2000..4000..8000
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    327

    Default

    How robust are RICs? I got mine in July, 2015. My right receiver went last fall over a period of several weeks so it was replaced then. That would have been at about the 15-16 month mark. My left receiver has been fine, but my audi replaced it at my last visit in late January just as a precaution. Mine seem pretty robust. I use only the wire to remove my HAs from my ears, my youngest still tugs at the wire sometimes, and I've fallen asleep laying on my side far more than once (which puts pressure on the RIC wire), yet I'm not experiencing a lot of wear and tear on the wires in my opinion, but then, this is my first pair of HAs so I don't have any experience with other brands. My audiologist seems to think my receiver wires are lasting longer than those of some of her other patients. Perhaps you just got a defective wire?
    November, 2016

    250 500 1K 2K 4K 6K 8K
    R 50
    55
    55
    50
    45
    50
    65
    L
    30 30
    35
    30
    30
    30
    25
    SRT: R-50, L-35
    WR: R-92% at 80 dB, L-100% at 75 dB

    Wearing Oticon Alta 2 Mini RITEs since July 8/15.

  8. #18

    Default

    Thanks. I like to think it was just a defective wire, the feedback up here at least tells me they are more robust than I expected.

    Quote Originally Posted by KerBear View Post
    How robust are RICs? I got mine in July, 2015. My right receiver went last fall over a period of several weeks so it was replaced then. That would have been at about the 15-16 month mark. My left receiver has been fine, but my audi replaced it at my last visit in late January just as a precaution. Mine seem pretty robust. I use only the wire to remove my HAs from my ears, my youngest still tugs at the wire sometimes, and I've fallen asleep laying on my side far more than once (which puts pressure on the RIC wire), yet I'm not experiencing a lot of wear and tear on the wires in my opinion, but then, this is my first pair of HAs so I don't have any experience with other brands. My audiologist seems to think my receiver wires are lasting longer than those of some of her other patients. Perhaps you just got a defective wire?
    ..250..500..1000..2000..4000..8000
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    3,511

    Default

    My receiver wire on my left agil pro just went out after five years, right one is still going strong.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

    -250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

    SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
    So last night my RIC broke. Started cutting in and out and was sensitive to wire movement, then stopped working altogether. I'm assuming this is a broken wire (Widex Beyond), going in this afternoon to have it fixed. My question is - what is your experience with RIC devices?
    I have been wearing RIC HA's for quite a few years now and never had a wire break or be a problem.
    Frequ: L/R
    0250: 35/25
    0500: 45/45
    0750: 65/75
    1000: 70/70
    2000: 75/70
    3000: 65/65
    4000: 65/65
    6000: 70/60
    8000: 65/65

    VA Service Connected; USAF 24 years, HAs since 1980

    Current VA HAs:
    Phonak Audeo B90-R RIC, ComPilot II, TVLink II

    Previous HAs:
    Phonak Naida S IX xP CRT w/ ComPilot & TVLink S
    Starkey S Series iQ Directional RIC AP 312
    Starkey AXENTII PDI DIGITAL HC
    Starkey SA T9 CICs
    Starkey SA C8 Full Shell (1st VA aids)
    Widex SENSOs (Company Ins)
    Zenith BTEs (AF Issued)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •