Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oticon Opn Feedback

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    You absolutely have a point here! Not only do I have the decades of HA use, but even my age of 61, and the lifestyle fact that I live in a SNOW cave for months every year. Ah, I exaggerate a bit on the last one, but I DO think that younger folks (20-something, 30-something) have a natural ability to sit in a maelstrom of noise and keep track of several audio inputs simultaneously - something which would exhaust me in short order.

Also, because my Agil Pro aids do SO WELL in directional mode, I have been wearing them half the day, and really just switching to my Opns at night when I want to stream the TV. So ... I am guilty of simply NOT wearing these Opns round-the-clock until just recently. The past week, I put them in upon rising in the morning (after all, they fit BETTER than the hard case Agil Pro!), and wear them all day now.

In addition to my old Agil Pros doing better in places like Costco, WholeFoods, et al, their size 13 battery was a BLESSING. Dang if I don't get a full 11+ days of use out of them. But they only stream with the phone - no TV streamer ever worked with them.

I will simply have to knuckle down and keep these Opns IN till my lazy ol' brain starts making more sense of all that sound. I have my directional setting and my volumes to play around with. and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the light feeling of these aids. If I had those Comply domes, I would never even know I was wearing aids. By contrast, my old Agil Pros are hard case, difficult to squeeze into my swollen ears in the morning, squeak here! there! You know: HAs are like spouses with their ups and downs, comfort and irritation! I am lucky to have THREE of them - counting my 2-legged companion.
    =======================
    I think you have several challenges in your adaption to the OPN: 1) Maybe you're not out and about enough in noisy environments everyday to give your brain enough time to adapt to the OPN, especially in noisy environment 2) You have your Agil Pro as a back up so when you need to hear better in noisy environments, you revert back to your Agil Pro in those situations like at Costco/WholeFoods, so you don't get a chance to get used to the OPN where you need to train your brain the most, in noisy situations. 3) And of course at your age, you'll probably need longer to adapt to the OPN as well, although I believe your brain can adapt, but how long it takes depends on how immersive you can be with the OPN.

For me, I'm not that young (55), but not too old yet either. And I work in the office all day with all kinds of noise from people talking on the phone, then I eat in the cafeteria every day where it's really loud and noisy as well. So being immersive in noisy places all day long helps my brain adapt to the OPN much faster. I also wear the OPN exclusively 100% all day long and I don't use my old HAs as a fall back as well, so that also helps get me adapt much faster, too.

If your lifestyle is mostly in quiet places most of the day everyday, then I think even normal hearing people who are used to a quiet lifestyle will be bothered a lot every time they're exposed to noisy environment themselves, let alone us hearing challenged people.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

2. Default

The latest issue of The Hearing Review has an excellent article - "Consumer Responses to the Oticon Opn Hearing Aid" - reviewing 700 consumer response cards of new Opn users.

Not a single person was dissatisfied which is pretty impressive.

Here is a link: http://www.hearingreview.com/2017/01/consumer-responses-oticon-opn-hearing-aid

3. Default

Thanks for sharing this article, Anthony!
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by anthony993 View Post
    The latest issue of The Hearing Review has an excellent article - "Consumer Responses to the Oticon Opn Hearing Aid" - reviewing 700 consumer response cards of new Opn users.

Not a single person was dissatisfied which is pretty impressive.

Here is a link: http://www.hearingreview.com/2017/01/consumer-responses-oticon-opn-hearing-aid
    Thank you for sharing. It is very informative.
    Hz...250...500...750...1K...1.5K...2K...3K...4K... 6K...8K
    L.......30......70......75.....80.....110...110..1 05...110...115...105
    R.......35.....45.......80.....80.....105...105... 110...105...115...110

Currently wear Oticon Spirit Synergy P bilaterally supplied by the NHS with thermotec custom moulds made privately by Egger. User of Oticon Streamer Pro.

We recently surveyed over 360 audiologists - in partnership with the investment bank UBS - on their opinions about the various hearing aids brands out there. Here's a snippet from the UBS report about Oticon and the Opn:

Oticon is particularly strong in "Sound quality", which audiologists see as by far the most important attribute in driving brand choice - 33% of respondents believe Oticon has an edge in sound quality, vs. Phonak at 21% ... Audiologists were positive on the Oticon brand as a whole, and cited Opn as a key recent innovation.
    We also did our own write up: What’s Hot and What’s Not? Groundbreaking Audiologist Survey Ranks Hearing Aid Feature Preferences

We have over 20 consumer reviews for the Oticon Opn here: Oticon Opn 1 Reviews

Hi, I purchased the Opn about a couple weeks ago. For reference, I have mild hearing loss in the low and high frequencies. I trialed both the widex unique 330's and the Oticon Opn's and I liked the Opn's a lot more. My previous hearing aids were the resound futures. Coming from the futures, I definitely noticed that the Opn's offer a more natural sound. My audiologist said she usually only needs to fit people with one program on the Opn's since it's such a powerful aid. Of course, depending on your hearing loss, this may vary.

While I don't know all the science and technology behind the Opn's, I can say that it makes sounds sound like how I imagined they would sound if I didn't have hearing loss (hope that makes sense). I tested this in difficult situations like: movie theatres, concerts, and conference rooms. Usually, when people whisper to me in those environments while a movie/music performance/presentation is going on, I can't really hear what they're saying. But I could hear 90% of what they were saying with the Opn's on. As a result, I feel less anxious about missing what others are saying, more comfortable to socialize in noisy environments, and less fatigued at the end of the day (since I don't need to focus as hard to hear speech).

Just my two cents. Let me know if you have any questions.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Hi, I purchased the Opn about a couple weeks ago. For reference, I have mild hearing loss in the low and high frequencies. I trialed both the widex unique 330's and the Oticon Opn's and I liked the Opn's a lot more. My previous hearing aids were the resound futures. Coming from the futures, I definitely noticed that the Opn's offer a more natural sound. My audiologist said she usually only needs to fit people with one program on the Opn's since it's such a powerful aid. Of course, depending on your hearing loss, this may vary.

While I don't know all the science and technology behind the Opn's, I can say that it makes sounds sound like how I imagined they would sound if I didn't have hearing loss (hope that makes sense). I tested this in difficult situations like: movie theatres, concerts, and conference rooms. Usually, when people whisper to me in those environments while a movie/music performance/presentation is going on, I can't really hear what they're saying. But I could hear 90% of what they were saying with the Opn's on. As a result, I feel less anxious about missing what others are saying, more comfortable to socialize in noisy environments, and less fatigued at the end of the day (since I don't need to focus as hard to hear speech).

Just my two cents. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the OPN, Cal. Which OPN level did you purchase? The Opn1, 2 or 3? Did you happen to try out the different OPN levels? And if yes, can you share your impression on them?

Your sharing about being able to understand whispers better in a movie/music/presentation environment is something new I haven't heard mentioned before. Usually people comment on just regular speech in noisy environment, so it's refreshing to hear that it works on whispers, too.

Since you've worn the Resound Futures before, do you find that you needed an adjustment period with the OPN at all?