Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Phonak hearing aids and audiologists

Quote Originally Posted by nativecat01 View Post
    I have been wearing hearing aids for over 20 years. Before, I owned Resound. I bought a pair of Phonak V90 from a audiologist two years ago in Wheat Ridge, Colorado. I am not sure if it is the audi or the hearing aids, I have had to replace the ear molds 6 times because they break or fit improperly. Each time, the ear molds are replaced, I go through major problems getting them readjusted. I have been to the audi at least 20 times in the last two years, because of a lot of echo or background noise. It takes numerous trips to re-adjust the background noise. I finally two months where they were acceptable.
    I went in this past Wednesday to replace the tube on the left ear; it was too short and rubbing the ear raw. I asked her to adjust the right ear down one notch in volume. I have to adjust it on my phone every morning. You would think this would be a simple task. I told her at this time, that I had an echo and the background noise was bad. She argued with me that she had not done anything to change the settings.

When I went to work on Thursday, the noise and echo was too much for me to hear properly. I went in this morning, asking her to re-adjust previous settings that worked before. She hooked up the Bluetooth to her computer and it immediately created more echo and background noise. She argued with that nothing had changed. I finally just left.
    I have contacted Phonak and their customer service is not very good. I talked to another audi that sell Phonak and they said they charge $700 per ear to take over any warranties or adjustments. I am not quite sure what direction to turn now. I not sure if Phonak are junk hearing aids or I have an audi that does not have a clue what she is doing. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Tell your audi that you would like the Phonak rep in the office the next time you come in to help solve this problem and see what they say.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

2. Default

I sent her an email yesterday about doing just that. We will see what she says about that and go from there.

If you don't get anywhere, use the power of social media and post your demand of a phonak rep being present during the next fitting on phonaks Facebook page.

4. Default

When I first got my Oticon OPN and I wasn't happy with it because of misaligned expectation on how I thought the OPN should handle noise reduction like with my old HAs, my audi had an Oticon rep come in and sit with me through 2 of the fittings 3 days apart. But it wasn't like the rep came in specifically just for my fittings. He just happened to be in town checking in on the local audis selling OPN, so my audi asked him to sit in the fitting with me and he obliged. The appointment was at 6pm both times, though, because he had other things going on during the working hours, which was fine with me.

Turned out the Oticon OPN rep and my audi had no idea exactly how the OPN noise reduction really works anyway (that it works very differently than traditional HAs), so the presence of the Oticon rep in both fittings were really useless after all and they didn't resolve the noise reduction issue I raised (that the OPN doesn't reduce steady state noise). But at least he was there, showing his support.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    When I first got my Oticon OPN and I wasn't happy with it because of misaligned expectation on how I thought the OPN should handle noise reduction like with my old HAs, my audi had an Oticon rep come in and sit with me through 2 of the fittings 3 days apart. But it wasn't like the rep came in specifically just for my fittings. He just happened to be in town checking in on the local audis selling OPN, so my audi asked him to sit in the fitting with me and he obliged. The appointment was at 6pm both times, though, because he had other things going on during the working hours, which was fine with me.

Turned out the Oticon OPN rep and my audi had no idea exactly how the OPN noise reduction really works anyway (that it works very differently than traditional HAs), so the presence of the Oticon rep in both fittings were really useless after all and they didn't resolve the noise reduction issue I raised (that the OPN doesn't reduce steady state noise). But at least he was there, showing his support.
    If you get the rep at your fitting you at least have a paper trail so you can bump it up if the HA's aren't working right.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

When my VA audiologist is stumped she phones someone at the hearing aid manufacturer. (Oticon in this case.) I am surprised that the Oticon rep, if stumped, couldn't have phoned someone at the office for assistance. You might have suggested this. If the situation arises again I would get the audiologist or whoever to get help. It makes them more informed too.That is, if they really are interested in solving a problem.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    If you get the rep at your fitting you at least have a paper trail so you can bump it up if the HA's aren't working right.
    I doubt if my audi keeps a paper trail of my fittings and who attended it. It seems all kind of informal. While it feels nice to have a rep sitting through a couple of fittings, it was disappointing that the rep was not helpful.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
    When my VA audiologist is stumped she phones someone at the hearing aid manufacturer. (Oticon in this case.) I am surprised that the Oticon rep, if stumped, couldn't have phoned someone at the office for assistance. You might have suggested this. If the situation arises again I would get the audiologist or whoever to get help. It makes them more informed too.That is, if they really are interested in solving a problem.
    My audi actually did call somebody from Oticon support (she called that person a "trainer") for further help after the rep couldn't resolve the issue I raised. But that was in subsequent fittings without the rep. there anymore. At the 2 fittings with the rep, the rep just had the audi make some tweaks then sent me home to see if the tweaks help, because there's nothing at the audi's office that could duplicate a noisy environment I would need to be in to test out the tweaks.

I don't think even the Oticon "trainer" understood how the OPN noise reduction works differently than traditional HAs either, because there was no explanation from the trainer (passed on to my audi) on how I should have expected to see noise reduction work. The bottom line is that there was nothing wrong with my OPN or its settings. I was just expecting it to have steady state noise reduction but the OPN really doesn't do that. It just does noise reduction differently. So it was really a matter of educating and setting the patient's expectation properly. But neither my audi nor the rep nor the Oticon trainer knew how to explain this to me properly, because none of them actually knew how noise reduction works differently on the OPN themselves. I had to watch an OPN video seminar by an Oticon VP online and read an Oticon white paper before I could figure out what to expect from the OPN noise reduction.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 02-18-2017 at 09:02 PM.

9. Default

The audi did call Phonak one time, and whoever she talked to, sounded like they were reading off the instructions. I think Phonak has very poor training and poor customer service. When I originally got the HAs, I kept relying on my audi to get them programmed properly during the trial period. I regret not returning them during the trial period, I was under the assumption that the audi was tweaking them at the time. But they have never worked to my satisfaction. So, here I am with hearing aids that are not working for my hearing and I am at a loss with the next step if I can't get some help from Phonak.

Hopefully Phonak will be able to offer some help. If not, I'd make clear to your audiologist that you're very unsatisfied. If he's not offering any options, I'd ask if there's another hearing aid you could trial (ideally a Resound since you liked them) and see what he can offer to try to make you a satisfied customer.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40