Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Did you see this astonishing news?

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceIsGolden View Post
    Not sure what or who you are talking about here. Particularly 'Corey'.
    Anyway, the scientific paper was only published in the journal 'Cell' on 21st February 2017, which is only 3 days old, so I would count that as very recent indeed.
    It was a modified doc from 2015.. Didn't bother chasing back beyond that.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    3,510

    Default

    I have been on the HAF for over 5 years and I think every year this topic has come up "saying the cure for hearing loss is just around the corner." So far it still remains years away. Here is an article from June 2015, proclaiming much the same thing as the current article: www.hearingreview.com/.../researcher-develops-new-method-of-cell-regeneration-in-...

    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

    -250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

    SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

  3. #13

    Default

    Author Contributions

    Jump to SectionIntroductionResults Lgr5+ Cochlear Cell Expansion Conversion of Lgr5+ Cells to Hair Cells Expansion and Hair Cell Differentiation of Lgr5-Expressing Cells from Adult Inner Ear Tissue Hair Cell Generation In Situ in Cochlear ExplantsDiscussionExperimental Procedures Mouse Strains Isolation of Stem Cells from the Inner Ear Expansion of Lgr5+ Cells Differentiation of Lgr5+ Progenitor Cells Quantification of Cells In Vitro Cochlear Explant Studies Immunohistochemistry RNA Extraction and Real-Time qPCR Statistical AnalysisAuthor ContributionsConflicts of InterestSupplemental InformationReferences
    W.J.M., X.Y., R.L., J.M.K., and A.S.B.E. designed research; W.J.M., X.Y., L.L., D.R.L., and D.M. performed research; W.J.M., X.Y., D.R.L., J.M.K., and A.S.B.E. analyzed data; and W.J.M., X.Y., D.R.L., J.M.K., and A.S.B.E. wrote the paper.

    Conflicts of Interest

    Jump to SectionIntroductionResults Lgr5+ Cochlear Cell Expansion Conversion of Lgr5+ Cells to Hair Cells Expansion and Hair Cell Differentiation of Lgr5-Expressing Cells from Adult Inner Ear Tissue Hair Cell Generation In Situ in Cochlear ExplantsDiscussionExperimental Procedures Mouse Strains Isolation of Stem Cells from the Inner Ear Expansion of Lgr5+ Cells Differentiation of Lgr5+ Progenitor Cells Quantification of Cells In Vitro Cochlear Explant Studies Immunohistochemistry RNA Extraction and Real-Time qPCR Statistical AnalysisAuthor ContributionsConflicts of InterestSupplemental InformationReferences
    J.M.K., R.S.L., X.Y., and W.J.M. hold equity in Frequency Therapeutics, a company that has an option to license IP generated by J.M.K., R.S.L., and X.Y. and that may benefit financially if the IP is licensed and further validated. W.J.M. is an employee of Frequency Therapeutics. The interests of J.M.K, R.S.L., and X.Y. were reviewed and are subject to a management plan overseen by their institutions in accordance with their conflict of interest policies.

    So the authors also have a conflict of interest?


    Since this was 2015 the clinical trials should be over and I must have an appointment Saturday for this new procedure

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    It was a modified doc from 2015.. Didn't bother chasing back beyond that.
    What did I miss? So the MIT site was reporting two year old news? Seems a bit unlikely.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    I have been on the HAF for over 5 years and I think every year this topic has come up "saying the cure for hearing loss is just around the corner." So far it still remains years away. Here is an article from June 2015, proclaiming much the same thing as the current article: www.hearingreview.com/.../researcher-develops-new-method-of-cell-regeneration-in-...
    I don't think "much the same thing" applies, apart from similar long term goals and both doing stuff with stem cells. Not that anyone should put their life on hold waiting for a cure. Anyway, nice that two teams have reported positive results in the last two years.

  6. Default

    Well I must say this wasn't the reception I expected for such good news. Instant dismissal that it was old news when the evidence shows it was only published in a scientific journal last week, then dismissal of the lead scientist and their work based on a single comment, and introducing the missing 'Corey' as though everyone reading this thread should know who and why this is relevant.

    Any research work that has only just been published will be some years away from clinical trials, and to expect otherwise is, well, odd. I googled the lead author, and despite the insinuations, he is actually a highly accomplished and regarded researcher that exemplifies the good in humanity, which is not something all of us can claim.

    I think I'll retreat away again from this forum. It was very useful to me at one time, and certainly did not carry on like it seems to now.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceIsGolden View Post
    Well I must say this wasn't the reception I expected for such good news. Instant dismissal that it was old news when the evidence shows it was only published in a scientific journal last week
    I agree with you mostly. However, I remember seeing online conversations years ago where person A would say 'consider a cochlear implant' and person B would say 'No way. I've been having a nice talk with a doctor in Russia who assures me that stem cells are gonna cure me. I'm just saving up the 200,000 now!'. That kind of thing might explain the cynicism. In this case, though, it's MIT and Harvard we're talking about. So, why not treat it as a bit of hopeful news? It gave me a bit of a lift. Thanks.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    3,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d'Wooluf View Post
    I don't think "much the same thing" applies, apart from similar long term goals and both doing stuff with stem cells. Not that anyone should put their life on hold waiting for a cure. Anyway, nice that two teams have reported positive results in the last two years.
    My point was that for over 5 years I have seen a number of these studies and trials and everyone says a cure for hearing loss is around the corner. So far all that is happened is some mice have gotten some new hairs in their cochleas that has restored some of their hearing, I have yet to hear about any human trials taking place, so I wouldn't put the current news in the astonishing category, just more of the same and until they have some human trials that show that they can restore hearing in humans using their methods, I won't hold my breath! I believe the last group that said they had "restored" partial hearing to mice said clinical trials on humans would begin taking place in about two years, so they might be close to starting them now, who knows?
    Last edited by seb; 02-25-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

    -250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

    SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    My point was that for over 5 years I have seen a number of these studies and trials and everyone says a cure for hearing loss is around the corner. So far all that is happened is some mice have gotten some new hairs in their cochleas that has restored some of their hearing, I have yet to hear about any human trials taking place, so I wouldn't put the current news in the astonishing category, just more of the same and until they have some human trials that show that they can restore hearing in humans using their methods, I won't hold my breath! I believe the last group that said they had "restored" partial hearing to mice said clinical trials on humans would begin taking place in about two years, so they might be close to starting them now, who knows?
    Isn't that how science works though? When you donate money for cancer research, you're not expecting that every researcher that is funded is working directly on an immediate cure. Someone might be working on understanding the action of a particular gene on one cellular process. Another researcher takes the findings of that study together with the results of other research and moves it forward. Ok, there is the ubiquitous requirement for self-promotion to attract funding that makes scientists emphasise the positives. Other people (journalists looking for a story, those desperate for a cure) embellish things further. But even when taken with the required grain of salt, the news in this case seems pretty good. Just the standing of the researchers and the institutions involved if nothing else.

    When my hearing loss was diagnosed, the ent told me to learn lip-reading because there was no cure and never would be. I don't think anyone would say that now.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    305

    Default

    For me, the hyped title is the problem. It is interesting that the research is going on, but "astonishing news?" I don't think so. Publicists and even scientists impression of when things might reach the application stage are often overly optimistic. Over 20 years ago they thought we'd have a genetic understanding of autism within 5-10 years that would lead to many breakthrough treatments. Didn't happen. Things are often more complicated than they seem.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

    15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •