Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Did you see this astonishing news?

Quote Originally Posted by Psocoptera View Post
    It will come from universities and pharmaceutical companies. Not the HA manufacturers. It will be controlled by government and ENTs.
    You mean the same pharmaceutical companies that are currently gouging us on anything they sell and the same government who allows it to happen? My guess is the treatment will cost over $50 grand, perhaps even more. And it probably won't be covered by insurance!
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    You mean the same pharmaceutical companies that are currently gouging us on anything they sell and the same government who allows it to happen? My guess is the treatment will cost over $50 grand, perhaps even more. And it probably won't be covered by insurance!
    My guess is it would take a lot longer to be available in Australia so I will get to see what happens in the US first. An aging population would lobby the government to subsidize it here but like every new treatment one for hearing loss will go through a very expensive phase. But if something works then eventually it will be more widespread in use and slowly get cheaper - think Penicillin! Just not holding my breath for it to happen.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB

Please do not wait for the US we are far behind the curve when it comes to health cares issues. I would expect to see it in Europe prior to the US.

True! I will EAT MY ANTHEM policy if they cover even a fraction of it. It still boggles my mind what Anthem covers (many conditions which are a function of personal lifestyle choice and plain ol' discipline) vs something like hearing aids or help for hearing impaired - which many are born with, and many others got thanks to environmental conditions outside of their control (e.g., veterans). Yes, younger folks could choose NOT to wear earbuds with music jacked up 24x7, but even in this case: think of how many health issues arise from poor choices made and are still COVERED under health insurance plans?

It could be that my old Anthem policy (now "grandfathered" as they weren't making enough money off folks like me with my low annual maximum) is rare, as I do read many here have some kind of insurance coverage for aids. But with the entire insurance industry stuck on a merry-go-round of federal policy dickering, my own situation won't change any time soon. I rant.

I would hate to see what the companies who will offer the treatment will charge for it.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

LOL! Is this treatment - or even the coverage for hearing issues - covered in China? I have never been there, but would definitely LOVE an ear hair transplant combined with seeing the Great Wall and other sites as one fabulous medical vacay indeed! Too bad India is so far behind in ALL things hearing, cuz I manage to get over there every other year.

Quote Originally Posted by spingee View Post
    Or you will just visit china
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    True! I will EAT MY ANTHEM policy if they cover even a fraction of it. It still boggles my mind what Anthem covers (many conditions which are a function of personal lifestyle choice and plain ol' discipline) vs something like hearing aids or help for hearing impaired - which many are born with, and many others got thanks to environmental conditions outside of their control (e.g., veterans). Yes, younger folks could choose NOT to wear earbuds with music jacked up 24x7, but even in this case: think of how many health issues arise from poor choices made and are still COVERED under health insurance plans?

It could be that my old Anthem policy (now "grandfathered" as they weren't making enough money off folks like me with my low annual maximum) is rare, as I do read many here have some kind of insurance coverage for aids. But with the entire insurance industry stuck on a merry-go-round of federal policy dickering, my own situation won't change any time soon. I rant.
    We all know that hearing loss is a choice. that is why there is so many in the military with the loss as they wish to meet Doc Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post

If your military and go through the VA your HA's will most likely be free, I have yet to hear about anyone who actually had to pay. As far as insurance and HA's are concerned it astonishes me that they won't cover HA's but they will cover new glasses each year, so if you got new glasses every year and only new HA's every four or five years they probably are paying or would be paying close to the same amount for HA's if they covered them. Or perhaps the insurance Co.s could work out a deal with Costco to cover HA's purchased there. The people running the insurance co.s don't think hearing loss is a problem until they have it themselves.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Doubled over now, LMAO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
    We all know that hearing loss is a choice. that is why there is so many in the military with the loss as they wish to meet Doc Jake.

Seb, PLEASE: tattoo your post somewhere - anywhere! - where it can be seen and acted upon.

It has never made sense to me that folks lacking one of their CRITICAL senses (sight, hearing .... um are there any else I'm missing?) are discriminated against. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I thought part of the reason for insurance coverage was to reign in the price of medical care. So does that mean the fact I wear hearing aids is more like a fashion statement? NO! They are a medical necessity that is vital to my safety and sanity! Perhaps I could figure out a workaround whereby I get covered for a "mental health" issue that oh BTW requires HEARING AIDS for complete treatment? Or maybe substance abuse issue that is instantly cured with HEARING AIDS. Or, if I was 30 years younger, maternity leave that necessitates HEARING AIDS so I can hear my baby crying in the next room. Even gastric bypass surgery prevented with HEARING AIDS cuz I can now hear my tummy stop rumbling.

Theatre of the Absurd.

If your military and go through the VA your HA's will most likely be free, I have yet to hear about anyone who actually had to pay. As far as insurance and HA's are concerned it astonishes me that they won't cover HA's but they will cover new glasses each year, so if you got new glasses every year and only new HA's every four or five years they probably are paying or would be paying close to the same amount for HA's if they covered them. Or perhaps the insurance Co.s could work out a deal with Costco to cover HA's purchased there. The people running the insurance co.s don't think hearing loss is a problem until they have it themselves.

As far as insurance and HA's are concerned it astonishes me that they won't cover HA's but they will cover new glasses each year, so if you got new glasses every year and only new HA's every four or five years they probably are paying or would be paying close to the same amount for HA's if they covered them. Or perhaps the insurance Co.s could work out a deal with Costco to cover HA's purchased there. The people running the insurance co.s don't think hearing loss is a problem until they have it themselves.
    In Australia my health insurance pays a maximum of $250 annually for glasses which cost me an average of over $1,000 annually for progressives and separate readers. They pay $1,000 every 3 years for HAs which cost up to $11,000. Glasses are just less expensive and more often purchased so the gap is spread out. At least we have some public cover for pensioners and children. I think part of the problem is the insurance companies also believe the prices are too high. Bundling of services also hides the true cost of those. Audiologists services tend to be poorly valued at least in part because they themselves fail to put a dollar value on those services by way of bundling.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB