Thread: Question about trax 42

1. Default Question about trax 42

Hi, I've had mine for about 2 years and have given up on them. Frustrating, I'm not sure if its the aids, me or my audio tech.

After about a year, my audi listened to them through stethoscope and said they were terrible and sounded like donald duck. That was after a year of trying to tweak them and figuring it was me. Apparently some circuitry was shot so they replaced them. New ones seemed better but not that much. They replaced them again! Still not much better if at all.

In the end, I hardly wear them. I can get by without quite fine but miss a lot and get people po'd at me but wth.

Im curious. They are supposed to have bilateral hearing or some such feature that takes sound from one aid and transfers it to the other. As a test, I take an earplug out and do the scratch test on the unplugged aid. I hope to hear it in the other ear but hear nothing. I stopped by a Costco and the gal there said she had no idea if thats how they were supposed to work. I could have pursued it but had to get going so I let it go.

Anyone hear have a thought on that?

Thanks
    Left Right
    250 20 20
    500 20 15
    1k 10 10
    2k 50 40
    4k 65 55
    8k 60 50

They are supposed to have bilateral hearing or some such feature that takes sound from one aid and transfers it to the other

Huh????????????

I think this article deals with what you're talking about. It doesn't really suggest (at least to me) how one would test to see if one of the features is working.
    http://www.hearingreview.com/2013/05...-aid-features/

Quote Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
    Hi, I've had mine for about 2 years and have given up on them. Frustrating, I'm not sure if its the aids, me or my audio tech.

After about a year, my audi listened to them through stethoscope and said they were terrible and sounded like donald duck. That was after a year of trying to tweak them and figuring it was me. Apparently some circuitry was shot so they replaced them. New ones seemed better but not that much. They replaced them again! Still not much better if at all.

In the end, I hardly wear them. I can get by without quite fine but miss a lot and get people po'd at me but wth.

Im curious. They are supposed to have bilateral hearing or some such feature that takes sound from one aid and transfers it to the other. As a test, I take an earplug out and do the scratch test on the unplugged aid. I hope to hear it in the other ear but hear nothing. I stopped by a Costco and the gal there said she had no idea if thats how they were supposed to work. I could have pursued it but had to get going so I let it go.

Anyone hear have a thought on that?

Thanks
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

I think what the OP is thinking about is the CROS/BICROS stuff, where the mic from one HA (the side of the deaf ear) transmit the sound from that side to the other HA. But that's not binaural ear-to-ear communication. And I don't know what "bilateral hearing" is, never heard of that term for HA.

I don't know anything about the Trax42. The Oticon OPN that I wear uses Near Field Magnetic Induction to enable the 2 OPN HAs to communicate with each other and share data. Below is a short blip on it.

Using near-field magnetic communication (NFMI) for binaural ear-to-ear communication, Opn hearing aids share, mix, and balance sound data from each hearing aid into one cohesive listening experience. NFMI technology is energy efficient and preserves battery power, all the while maintaining a high quality sound experience.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

That doesn't sound like "quite fine." Sounds like you should have returned them before the end of the trial period, but as for now, is there another Costco near enough you that you could go there and see if another audi could make a difference?

Im curious. They are supposed to have bilateral hearing or some such feature that takes sound from one aid and transfers it to the other.
    No, as someone said that's a Cros/Bicros aid, something specific for people who only have aidable hearing on one side.
    SRT R 60 / L 55
    WRS R 80dB 72% L 75dB 64%
    250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    L 50 55 55 60 60 65 65 65
    R 50 60 60 55 60 60 65 65

Rexton Trax 42s - 9/1/15
    Updated Hearing Test as of 11/1/16

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    They are supposed to have bilateral hearing or some such feature that takes sound from one aid and transfers it to the other

Huh????????????
    Sheesh doc, is it too big a leap for you to go from "bilateral or some such feature " to binaural beamforming where audio data is exchanged between hearing aids? Why waste your time replying with a useless reply? At least others figured it out and thank you to them (and apologies )

I forgot the term and apparently read this wrong (see below) where in a description of binaural beam forming, audio data was exchanged between both ha's. Fair enough, I'm not an Audi tech.

"The most recent development regarding directional hearing aid processing involves wireless communication, which allows for the exchange of audio data received by the microphones of both the right and left hearing aids, which then can be used to achieve narrow beamforming. This new beamforming technology from Siemens, termed Narrow Directionality, was described in detail by Kamkar-Parsi et al.6"

Last edited by mjd2k; 02-28-2017 at 02:13 AM.
    Left Right
    250 20 20
    500 20 15
    1k 10 10
    2k 50 40
    4k 65 55
    8k 60 50

7. Default

Tribalrose, I probably should have returned them but it was a year of me thinking I was the problem only to find out even the Audi couldn't hear with them! I must have been back well over 20 times. After awhile you just get frustrated.

I am considering going to another Costco. I'll even pay to have them checked and programmed.

I just thought i had I had devised a test to see if the binaural beam forming worked in the manner I thought it did.
    Left Right
    250 20 20
    500 20 15
    1k 10 10
    2k 50 40
    4k 65 55
    8k 60 50

Blog Entries

I think your confusion is "data" versus sound. The aids exchange data for things like noise reduction. They aren't exchanging sound. You'd need CROS or biCros aids to send the sound from one aid to the other. That's for those who are deaf or very profound. Each aid typically provides only sounds from its microphones.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Straight forward and explained all over the web.. e2e features allow the aids to keep control data synchronized.. Push volume button on one aid and they change volume. Search e2e and read all about it.. don't got nothing to do with sound. Most of your guessing or asking other folk to do your homework you could be answered by leaning how to use a search engine.

E2E WIRELESS 3.0

This Technology allows two hearing aids to work in unison, detecting changes and keeping each other in sync using inter-aural transmission.
    Last edited by Doc Jake; 02-28-2017 at 12:33 PM.