Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: KS7 vs Trax 42 - Directionality and speech in noise

  1. Default KS7 vs Trax 42 - Directionality and speech in noise

    I tried the Trax about a year ago, and it didn't work out for me so I returned them.
    One of the key issues, is that they didn't really seem to do a good job at picking out voices in noisy places (restaurants and meetings). Which I took as the directional not being able to zero in enough.
    I know both of those are difficult environments.

    My hearing isn't too bad, so I'm getting by without, but I am missing things.

    The new TruCore KS 7's advertise as being better a these kinds of scenaio's.
    Does anyone have any direct comparisons, or have moved to the KS7's from the Trax and care to comment?

    Much appreciated!

    [sorry don't have the audiogram handy, but pretty normal on the low end, with the highs slopping off, but not a huge]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    345

    Default

    I can't offer a direct comparison, but I do have the KS7s. I suspect my loss is similar to yours, but probably more extreme in the high end. I think noise reduction is particularly challenging with people like us with near normal hearing in the low frequencies. That goes along with an open fit to take advantage of that decent low frequency hearing. There is really nothing the hearing aids can do about sounds that are directly entering our ears. That said, the manually controlled microphones on the KS7s do have a dramatic effect if put on narrow beam and make it much easier to understand a nearby speaker. The downside is that setting resets if the aids determine that conditions have "changed." I don't know it the Trax 42 had manually controlled microphones or not.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

    15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    I can't offer a direct comparison, but I do have the KS7s. I suspect my loss is similar to yours, but probably more extreme in the high end. I think noise reduction is particularly challenging with people like us with near normal hearing in the low frequencies. That goes along with an open fit to take advantage of that decent low frequency hearing. There is really nothing the hearing aids can do about sounds that are directly entering our ears. That said, the manually controlled microphones on the KS7s do have a dramatic effect if put on narrow beam and make it much easier to understand a nearby speaker. The downside is that setting resets if the aids determine that conditions have "changed." I don't know it the Trax 42 had manually controlled microphones or not.
    I have the Trax 42, and they have the same feature - a very narrow focus, available only using the streamer and phone app. And yes, it resets itself when conditions change, or after 15 or so minutes. It's so annoying; not only does the reset come with a LOUD beep, but that the hearing aids have the technical capability to do just what I want, but they don't make the feature available in any very usable form.

    I tried contacting Rexton about this, but they don't seem to have any access for hearing aid wearers.

    250 - - 500 - - 1000 - 2000 - 4000 - 8000

    L 20 - - - 30 - - - 40 - - - 40 - - - 45 - - - 65
    R 30 - - - 35 - - - 40 - - - 45 - - - 70 - - - 90

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    2,434
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    I'd think the best recourse is to ask for a program setting that is narrow focus that you can use in those situations where you want it for an extended period.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare





  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    345

    Default

    The speech in noise program has a couple of settings (within Connexx) that vary directionality, but it does not seem as directed as the very narrow focus option available in the Auto program that is use controlled. Certainly open to hearing solutions of this issue from other users.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

    15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

  6. Default

    I might be wrong (and i am sure others here will correct me) but as i understood it the Trax 42 and the KS7 are basically the same device. Only the KS7 is considerably cheaper in Costco. Possibly the KS7 may have a slightly newer processor? and some features switched or tweaked, but i understood they were basically the same.

    Similar to Resound Cala8 being a tweaked down Linx2. The Cala has slightly less channels i believe, but its basically so similar most people cant tell the difference between it and the Linx2?

    Would be interestyed to see the specification of both the Trax and the KS7 side by side


    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rat View Post
    I tried the Trax about a year ago, and it didn't work out for me so I returned them.
    One of the key issues, is that they didn't really seem to do a good job at picking out voices in noisy places (restaurants and meetings). Which I took as the directional not being able to zero in enough.
    I know both of those are difficult environments.

    My hearing isn't too bad, so I'm getting by without, but I am missing things.

    The new TruCore KS 7's advertise as being better a these kinds of scenaio's.
    Does anyone have any direct comparisons, or have moved to the KS7's from the Trax and care to comment?

    Much appreciated!

    [sorry don't have the audiogram handy, but pretty normal on the low end, with the highs slopping off, but not a huge]
    ------250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 1.5k - 2k - 3 k - 4k - 6k - 8k
    L ----- 40 --- 30 ------0 ----25 ---15 -----5 -- 15 --- 45 --50-- 55
    R ----- 40 -- 30-------0 --- 30 ---20 --- 10 -- 20 ---45 ---55 -45

    Resound Verso 961's - Open fit

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Here's a link to the KS7 data sheet. http://ge.tt/49bmMNe2

    Somewhere I found a data sheet to the Trax 42 but don't have a link. The differences: The KS7 uses the TruCore Platform whereas the Trax 42 use the QuadCore Platform. KS7 has Voice Ranger, Reverb Reducer and Music Enhancer. Other than that, they are identical per the data sheets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian brittain View Post
    I might be wrong (and i am sure others here will correct me) but as i understood it the Trax 42 and the KS7 are basically the same device. Only the KS7 is considerably cheaper in Costco. Possibly the KS7 may have a slightly newer processor? and some features switched or tweaked, but i understood they were basically the same.

    Similar to Resound Cala8 being a tweaked down Linx2. The Cala has slightly less channels i believe, but its basically so similar most people cant tell the difference between it and the Linx2?

    Would be interestyed to see the specification of both the Trax and the KS7 side by side
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

    15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

  8. Default

    Thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts, anyone else's also welcome. As for trak vs ks 7. I think feature wise they are very similar, with some modest additions,but the trak is a 4 core CPU the ks7 a 6 core. In the back of my head I wonder if they got the architecture right in the trac but didn't have the horsepower to really do the sound processing they wanted to.
    Thus my question looking for a direct comparison.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •