Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Headset = Opn "streamer" of sorts

Default Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Headset = Opn "streamer" of sorts

Well, I got my new Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 headset for Samsung Galaxy from Amazon.com today! This headset comes with a cable that includes a mic/volume switch right on it. Since it's compatible with the Samsung Galaxy phone, I wanted to see if this could possibly pinch-hit for a hands-free streamer until Oticon releases the clip-on streamer compatible with their Opn miniRITE aids some time in my lifetime. If ever.

Does this headset work as a streamer with my phone? Short answer: YES!

UPSIDES
    1. This clearly offers at least a modicum of a solution for streaming phone calls. So I no longer have to put on my old Agil Pro aids and use the Streamer Pro necklace. I can now stream phone calls using the Sennheiser headset. Just plug it into the Samsung, dial a number, and voila! Beautiful sound quality in BOTH ears.
    2. It's reasonably "hands-free" in that I can park my phone on the desktop, call Anthem, relax in my easy chair as a robo-attendant guides me through 150 idiotic steps till I get to speak to a person ... after waiting in a cue for 45 min with obnoxious music playing ... all while I'm working on craft projects, using my hands! Even with a clip-on streamer, you have to be near the actual phone when on a call.
    3. The headset comes with a mic so those on the phone call with me can HEAR ME. Granted, you can't be fiddle-faddling with this mic, as it sits on the cable just under the chin level (see downsides).
    4. The headset is also compatible with my Astell&Kern portable music player that I travel with and my Macbook Pro laptop - so now I can hear anything on the internet or even play music from the music library on my home server.
    5. The cable has a volume UP and DOWN button that works with phone, music player or laptop. How easy is that?
    6. It comes with both a soft cloth and reasonably firm travel case.
    7. Sound quality is EXCELLENT for phone, laptop or music player. WoOoOOOoOooo!

DOWNSIDES
    1. I have a very tiny head - child-sized, even. So it turns out that the Sennheiser headset does not fit, because the headband is not infinitely adjustable. You see, when one wears aids with the mic behind the ear, you have to hoist the headset/headphone UP over that mic to get sound. As a result, the entire headset sits about 1+ inch over my head! My workaround is crude, but effective: I use the cover of my Clarisonic face brush as a perfect *footstool* to hold the headset exactly an inch above my head! Do I look goofy, dorky and completely dim-witted? YES! In fact, one look at myself in the mirror had me weeping with laughter! Do I care? No! I'm going to travel with this headset and let folks take pictures of me. Too bad Sennheiser doesn't make a headset with an infinitely adjustable headband.
    2. The cable is nice and long, but the mic/volume switch sits just at the chin level. That's great for others to hear me on the phone, but it's impossible for ME to see the switch at all! As a result, I end up groping around on the switch, hanging up calls instead of turning the volume UP or DOWN. Duh. I guess some dexterity practice is in order.
    3. The headsets are by no means SMALL. You can Youtube many videos to see how they look on a normal person's head - one who doesn't have a child-sized head and hearing aids that require the headset to be hoisted UP and over the mics. THEY look normal. I look ridiculous!
    4. Given that I have to wear the headset raised up over my mics, these are not truly noise-cancelling! They may let in a fair amount of plane noise after all, but I'll have to try that out later. The good news is that I can hear folks talking to me even with the headphones ON and music playing! With other setups, you typically have to mute the streamer to hear ambient noise/speech.

Altogether, I'm VERY HAPPY with this headset! A bit large, cludgey, but still portable and very flexible in that I can connect to multiple mediums. How many HA streamers do that? Typically you need separate phone and TV streamer at the minimum.
    Last edited by 1Bluejay; 03-01-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

Glad to hear those are working out for you. I have a pair of over the ear Senheisers (headphones only) that I use at work to listen to recordings on my computer. They do a good job cancelling out noise when others are chatting around nearby or on their phones. I also second that it's getting to "if ever" when we talk about the ConnectClip release date...
    Last edited by Abarsanti; 03-01-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Curious if you've ever tried the Sennheisers without the hearing aids? Your loss is pretty flat--it might sound ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    Well, I got my new Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 headset for Samsung Galaxy from Amazon.com today! This headset comes with a cable that includes a mic/volume switch right on it. Since it's compatible with the Samsung Galaxy phone, I wanted to see if this could possibly pinch-hit for a hands-free streamer until Oticon releases the clip-on streamer compatible with their Opn miniRITE aids some time in my lifetime. If ever.

Does this headset work as a streamer with my phone? Short answer: YES!

UPSIDES
    1. This clearly offers at least a modicum of a solution for streaming phone calls. So I no longer have to put on my old Agil Pro aids and use the Streamer Pro necklace. I can now stream phone calls using the Sennheiser headset. Just plug it into the Samsung, dial a number, and voila! Beautiful sound quality in BOTH ears.
    2. It's reasonably "hands-free" in that I can park my phone on the desktop, call Anthem, relax in my easy chair as a robo-attendant guides me through 150 idiotic steps till I get to speak to a person ... after waiting in a cue for 45 min with obnoxious music playing ... all while I'm working on craft projects, using my hands! Even with a clip-on streamer, you have to be near the actual phone when on a call.
    3. The headset comes with a mic so those on the phone call with me can HEAR ME. Granted, you can't be fiddle-faddling with this mic, as it sits on the cable just under the chin level (see downsides).
    4. The headset is also compatible with my Astell&Kern portable music player that I travel with and my Macbook Pro laptop - so now I can hear anything on the internet or even play music from the music library on my home server.
    5. The cable has a volume UP and DOWN button that works with phone, music player or laptop. How easy is that?
    6. It comes with both a soft cloth and reasonably firm travel case.
    7. Sound quality is EXCELLENT for phone, laptop or music player. WoOoOOOoOooo!

DOWNSIDES
    1. I have a very tiny head - child-sized, even. So it turns out that the Sennheiser headset does not fit, because the headband is not infinitely adjustable. You see, when one wears aids with the mic behind the ear, you have to hoist the headset/headphone UP over that mic to get sound. As a result, the entire headset sits about 1+ inch over my head! My workaround is crude, but effective: I use the cover of my Clarisonic face brush as a perfect *footstool* to hold the headset exactly an inch above my head! Do I look goofy, dorky and completely dim-witted? YES! In fact, one look at myself in the mirror had me weeping with laughter! Do I care? No! I'm going to travel with this headset and let folks take pictures of me. Too bad Sennheiser doesn't make a headset with an infinitely adjustable headband.
    2. The cable is nice and long, but the mic/volume switch sits just at the chin level. That's great for others to hear me on the phone, but it's impossible for ME to see the switch at all! As a result, I end up groping around on the switch, hanging up calls instead of turning the volume UP or DOWN. Duh. I guess some dexterity practice is in order.
    3. The headsets are by no means SMALL. You can Youtube many videos to see how they look on a normal person's head - one who doesn't have a child-sized head and hearing aids that require the headset to be hoisted UP and over the mics. THEY look normal. I look ridiculous!
    4. Given that I have to wear the headset raised up over my mics, these are not truly noise-cancelling! They may let in a fair amount of plane noise after all, but I'll have to try that out later. The good news is that I can hear folks talking to me even with the headphones ON and music playing! With other setups, you typically have to mute the streamer to hear ambient noise/speech.

Altogether, I'm VERY HAPPY with this headset! A bit large, cludgey, but still portable and very flexible in that I can connect to multiple mediums. How many HA streamers do that? Typically you need separate phone and TV streamer at the minimum.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

I thought you had terrible feedback when you put your hands over your ears with the HAs on. Has this feedback issue been resolved by your audi yet? If not, I wonder how you're not getting feedback with this headset? I can wear my (completely) over the ear headphones just fine (Bose QuietComfort 2) without any feedback, and even with the HA behind the ear and not really centered to the headphones, but more on the outer edge of the headphones, it still sounds very normal to me. Have you tried to wear your Senheiser just like normal instead and see what happens?

If the feedback issue has not resolved yet, take your Senheiser to the audi next time and have him rerun the feedback management test with the Senheiser on but worn in a normal way.

You were saying that even with a clipon streamer on, you'd still have to be near the phone when on a call. I thought that if the streamer is connecting to your phone via regular Bluetooth, then you can walk fairly far away from your phone and still hold a call just fine. I think Bluetooth range is easily 10 feet, and more like 20-25ft before you lose the connection.

Yeah, I didn't want to hold my breath for the ConnectClip either so I succumbed and bought an iPhone 7 Plus to replace my Samsung Note 4. The streaming so far is very convenient, but the quality of the streaming is not without issues. The sound flutters left and right sometimes, but luckily just momentarily so at least can be dismissed a flukes.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    Curious if you've ever tried the Sennheisers without the hearing aids? Your loss is pretty flat--it might sound ok.
    Haha, good point! Just CRANK IT UP, baby!!! :-)
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

OK MDB, that was interesting! Your post prompted me to put my Sennheisers ON, with the Oticon Opn aids OUT of my ears. Just to give you an idea, my Astell&Kern audio player has a volume dial that goes from "1" to "100" - a HUGE range.

With NO aids in, the volume has to be jacked up to at least "65" for me to enjoy the music. The good part is that the headset sits RIGHT ON my ears - ah, that would be the perfect world! But at that volume, even with the ear cups tight over my ears, my bat-eared hubs can hear the music, too!

With my Oticon Opn aids IN, and the goofy set-up using a footstool to hoist the headset an inch above my head, I can enjoy the music at a volume setting of "35" - which I think approaches someone with normal hearing, seriously! At that lower volume, hubs does not hear the music, even tho there is not a perfect seal over my ears. I, however, am perfectly able to hear HIM talking - even over the music playing. So I think this is still the optimum set-up for me. Wearing these headsets at home or on a plane, I'd *always* (can not emphasize that enough!) want to be able to hear speech, alarms, sounds that normal folks hear, even as I play the music.

But it was worth a try for sure! I simply can't go anywhere (not even in the comfort of my own home) with NO aids in, ever. My loss is that profound.

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post

So, it turns out that my feedback issues are closely tied to WHICH aids I have on. If I'm wearing the older, Agil Pro ITE aids, you betcha there is FEEDBACK when I cover my ears. Perhaps that's cuz the mic + receiver are in the ear together, so covering my ears makes them WAIL like a banshee. In fact, wearing these ITE aids with the Sennheiser headset just made them go "WOO! WOO! WOO!" non-stop, cuz the ear cups on the headset fit too close. I'd need something like a cereal-bowl-sized ear cup on headsets to work with those older aids.

By contrast, when I have my Oticon Opn aids on, I can cover my entire ears AND aids real tight with NO feedback. I got SUPER feedback tho when I tried your trick of tucking the Opn into my ear cup. Once again, the proximity of mic to receiver with no space for soundwaves just made them shriek. But with the Sennheiser headset parked right on top of them (albeit hoisted in a goofy fashion 1 inch over my head), the sound is PERFECT - no feedback, and the music is super.

My hubs asked, "So, seriously, are you planning to wear that little footstool thing on your head when you fly on a plane with these headsets?" To which I said, "SURE!" No one is going to look at me that closely. Maybe I could jerry-rig an inch-thick pad of some sort to fit snug under the headband on these headsets ... we shall see!
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I thought you had terrible feedback when you put your hands over your ears with the HAs on. Has this feedback issue been resolved by your audi yet? If not, I wonder how you're not getting feedback with this headset? I can wear my (completely) over the ear headphones just fine (Bose QuietComfort 2) without any feedback, and even with the HA behind the ear and not really centered to the headphones, but more on the outer edge of the headphones, it still sounds very normal to me. Have you tried to wear your Senheiser just like normal instead and see what happens?

If the feedback issue has not resolved yet, take your Senheiser to the audi next time and have him rerun the feedback management test with the Senheiser on but worn in a normal way.

You were saying that even with a clipon streamer on, you'd still have to be near the phone when on a call. I thought that if the streamer is connecting to your phone via regular Bluetooth, then you can walk fairly far away from your phone and still hold a call just fine. I think Bluetooth range is easily 10 feet, and more like 20-25ft before you lose the connection.

Yeah, I didn't want to hold my breath for the ConnectClip either so I succumbed and bought an iPhone 7 Plus to replace my Samsung Note 4. The streaming so far is very convenient, but the quality of the streaming is not without issues. The sound flutters left and right sometimes, but luckily just momentarily so at least can be dismissed a flukes.

So what happens if you just put on your Sennheiser on the normal way (with the OPN worn the normal way)? You get feedback?

I can put my Bose QuietComfort 2 headphones on the normal way with the OPN worn the normal way and get no feedback. That's why I wonder why you need to raise yours.

The only reason I tuck the OPN inside my ear "well" is for smaller headsets that can only rest ON the ear (like my Plantronics Focus), because obviously they don't cover completely over the ear like my Bose QC2 does.

^^^^ Because the Sennheiser ear muff part may *look* large when it's on the head, but inside the ear muffs the actual cup is quite small - so small that if I put these over my ears in the normal fashion, NO part of the Oticon mic would even be inside that space. As a result: SILENCE! Complete and utter.

That is why I have to lift the ear muff part UP and literally make sure the smaller ear cups inside that muff completely encase the mic part of my BTE unit.

Cludge spelled backwards is egdulc - and that pretty much describes the utility of the design here, but I have my workaround *footstool*.

If I believed in the Tooth Fairy, I would've yanked a tooth out and waited for the Oticon clip-on streamer to be placed under my pillow. Instead, I got the Sennheisers.

10. Default

Bluejay -

I free trialed the Sennheiser Momentium 2, Bose, and Denon headsest from Amazon with my OPNs.
    I wanted bluetooth streaming from my phone and active noise cancellation for flights.

I bought the Denon AH-GC20's as the ear muffs were much more voluminous, sound quality was really good, but the active noise cancellation on flights is just OK compared to my old wired Bose.

The Sennheiser ear muffs were too small inside and pressed on the OPN's although I loved the soft leather and acoustics. I'm tallish and have a big head and ears - oh the the headband also rubbed on the very pointed top of my thinning head until I bent it to conform.

Acoustically, to my ears with OPN's on the Denons and Sennheisers were pretty close.
    My son thought the Sennheiser might have just a hair better acoustics - he uses Pink Floyds "Shine on Crazy Diamonds part 1-7" as his test.

The Bose Quiet comforts fit well too over the OPN's and they have the BEST active noise cancellation by far - bar none.
    But acoustically - well, like they say, "if it has no highs, and it has no lows, it must be a Bose". (they have some highs/lows but nothing like the Sennheisers or Denons)
    Also the Bose were the lightest - important on long international hours flights.

I really like talking on the cell phone with the headsets on - it's like the person is in the room with me.

In short - you should try them all on as each of our heads/ears are different sizes and shapes. (I was surprised).

I'll wear my wireless Denons a few hours a weekend and an hour each night while reading - the music sound quality (as you have found out) is just sooo much better than room acoustics - it's almost like I have my old teenage hearing back!
    Last edited by Rocketmahn; 03-07-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    .....250....500......1k......2k......3k.......4k.. ....8k % SL SRT
    L.....10.....10......35......40......55.......65.. .....65 72% SL50 HTL20
    R.....15.....10......35......40......55.......55.. .....90 68% SL40 HTL25