Thread: OTC hearing aids vs Audiologist supplied - study of hearing aid outcomes in older adults

Default OTC hearing aids vs Audiologist supplied - study of hearing aid outcomes in older adults

Researchers found that hearing aids are effective in older adults for both the audiology best practices model and the OTC model. There were no significant differences in outcome between these two service-delivery approaches for five of the six outcome measures, but the OTC group fared somewhat worse when it came to satisfaction with their hearing aids. Fewer OTC participants were also likely to purchase their hearing aids after the trial (55% for the OTC group vs. 81% for the best practices group, with 36% for the placebo group). Following the initial 6-week trial, both the OTC and placebo groups were offered hearing aids under the best practices model. Satisfaction significantly increased for patients in both groups who chose to continue under audiologist care, and more participants opted to purchase their hearing aids after this continued period of care than after the initial trial.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-...er-adults.html

I wish self-programmed HA's were part of the study. Wonder where that fits on the list. Are self programmers happy with their outcomes?

Feel free to post the article in another forum... Allen
    250 500 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k 8k
    R 30 40 50 60 70 65 60 65
    L 30 35 50 55 65 65 65 80

Tested 2/2017

Starkey WI-110 purchased used in 2013.

^^^You're singin' my song here! I am not a techie person, and would simply not be comfortable buying top-of-the-line aids either OTC or having to adjust them myself (using custom software installed on a laptop, reading the manual, yada yada).

Nope. I have always gone the route of Audiologist "best practices", and been very grateful for the knowledgeable, flexible, helpful aud-guys I've been to. Yes, I got a couple of turkeys over the past 30 years, but by and large, the audiologists I've depended on for setting up the aids, and more important, fine-tuning them to my listening preferences (as well as being there in times of emergency!), have MORE than paid for themselves.

When I lived in CA, and went to Cal Ear in Palo Alto, they charged me for every single office visit. My mother-in-law went the same route, and was really irked with how much money she was "throwing away" on follow-up visits. So much so, that she bought aids at Costco recently. However, that audiologist was simply never there for her! She returned the aids while they were on trial.

My current aud-guy NEVER charges a nickel for one single follow-up visit! I'm welcome to his office like an old family member, my needs are always addressed to the best of his ability. I go away satisfied, knowing that the $5-6K spent on my aids will carry me over to the next pair, and the one after, etc.

I wish there were more comprehensive studies done on HA wearers. Consumer Reports does an occasional piece, but for the most part, customer satisfaction surveys are SHALLOW and lack any useful data for me to make my next informed purchase decision. I have learned more about aids, their features, pros & cons right HERE. This site is a gold mine for us users and for any savvy marketer from HA manufacturing companies. And if they lurk here ... well, they are invisible as far as I know! Missed opportunity for sure.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

The research findings provide firm evidence that hearing aids do, in fact, provide significant benefit to older adults," said Larry Humes, PhD, CCC-A, a distinguished professor in the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences at Indiana University Bloomington and the study's lead author. "This is important because, even though millions of Americans have hearing loss, there has been an absence of rigorous clinical research that has demonstrated clear benefits provided by hearing aids to older adults

Read more at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-...dults.html#jCp

Are they sure hearing aid help deaf people. Shocked literally shocked

4. Default

I am at a loss to understand how 36 percent of the placebo group: "were likely to purchase their hearing aids after the trial". These were aids which did nothing at all???
    What am I missing here?
    Freq 250 500 1K 2K 4K 8K
    Right -15 -35 -50 -60 -60 -90
    Left -20 -40 -60 -55 -65 -75

Quote Originally Posted by bob h View Post
    I am at a loss to understand how 36 percent of the placebo group: "were likely to purchase their hearing aids after the trial". These were aids which did nothing at all???
    What am I missing here?
    Senility??

Quote Originally Posted by bob h View Post
    What am I missing here?
    Maybe they get paid by the study for their time and effort and they wanted to provide some kind of value by saying yes?
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Hi Bluejay,
    I'm taking a little different route than you. I don't have the income to support the heavy cost of these; wish I did and were tied in with a good Audi for the service. I recently tried a local shop and was very impressed with the Dispenser, but they wanted $5,000 (on sale from $10,000). I bought on-line and have had not so great results without a service plan. I'm embarking on a self tuning trial with the help of the DIY forum here. I'm expecting delivery of the equipment as I write and will post on DIY my results. The one time costs of the equipment are about the same I'd pay for a 1 time tune of my HA's. What a luxury it must be to buy and be serviced for the life of the aids by a competent shop. I've never experienced that. Perhaps in a next life...

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    ^^^You're singin' my song here! I am not a techie person, and would simply not be comfortable buying top-of-the-line aids either OTC or having to adjust them myself (using custom software installed on a laptop, reading the manual, yada yada).

Nope. I have always gone the route of Audiologist "best practices", and been very grateful for the knowledgeable, flexible, helpful aud-guys I've been to. Yes, I got a couple of turkeys over the past 30 years, but by and large, the audiologists I've depended on for setting up the aids, and more important, fine-tuning them to my listening preferences (as well as being there in times of emergency!), have MORE than paid for themselves.

When I lived in CA, and went to Cal Ear in Palo Alto, they charged me for every single office visit. My mother-in-law went the same route, and was really irked with how much money she was "throwing away" on follow-up visits. So much so, that she bought aids at Costco recently. However, that audiologist was simply never there for her! She returned the aids while they were on trial.

My current aud-guy NEVER charges a nickel for one single follow-up visit! I'm welcome to his office like an old family member, my needs are always addressed to the best of his ability. I go away satisfied, knowing that the $5-6K spent on my aids will carry me over to the next pair, and the one after, etc.

I wish there were more comprehensive studies done on HA wearers. Consumer Reports does an occasional piece, but for the most part, customer satisfaction surveys are SHALLOW and lack any useful data for me to make my next informed purchase decision. I have learned more about aids, their features, pros & cons right HERE. This site is a gold mine for us users and for any savvy marketer from HA manufacturing companies. And if they lurk here ... well, they are invisible as far as I know! Missed opportunity for sure.

Tested 2/2017

Right there with you allenmoretsky.

Went to a great dispenser and was fitted with bargain HA's. After a day I returned them, not for me. Started doing my homework and wound up with Signia Pure Primax 5PX,
    due in this week. One of the many attraction's for me is the Notch Therapy to help with my tinnitus. Checked local Aud's but the pricing was way to high, even the dispenser
    was high (not mentally). Have downloaded Connexx 8, and have been using the simulation mode to feel my way around the software, very user friendly. Have viewed
    multiple webinars about programming my specific HA's. Also have purchased a wireless 228 Siemens ConnexxLink Hearing Aid Programming Device.
    Right now I feel very comfortable about tuning the aids myself. When all is said and done I will be having the latest technology, and saving a chunk of change.

Pierre
    KH.....(.25)....(.50)....(1.0)....(2.0)....(3.0).. ..(4.0)....(6.0)....(8.0)
    Left......8..........0........10....... 10.......45........60........50.......65
    Right....8..........0........10........10.......40 .......50........45.......50

Signia Pure Primax 5PX 03/2017

Pierre,
    I wish you were working with Starkey's. I don't relish going this alone. I'm determined, though. One of the great things about DIY, for me, has been that I've forced myself to research and go to dispensers who offer marketing seminars and trials. I don't think my hearing issues are as difficult as some so perhaps my findings that there wasn't much difference between HA's is a product of that. I wish I knew more. My take so far is that the basic hearing aid, the type I use, is a small computer with a processor that doesn't differ too much between manufacturers, no more than that between Apple and Microsoft processors. The software is a more personal issue. I've not been impressed with all the modes, but perhaps that's because of the miserable programming of my HA's. I'm way behind. I've added 50Db speakers and I'm still programmed for 40Db. I just had them repaired via an on-line WEB site and lost the ability to use my remote. I'm so looking forward to trying the self programming of these.

Tested 2/2017

Allen,

I found an upcoming webinar at Audiology Online.
    http://www.audiologyonline.com/audio...ype:live%7Crec

Inspire X 2017 is the latest version of Starkey's programming software. With each update, Inspire offers the hearing professional a more intuitive interface;
    allowing them to fit better so their patients can hear better. This session will provide a live demonstration of the Inspire X 2017 software.

This will be live on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 12:00 pm EDT. Then it should be available as a recorded webinar to view afterwards.
    You will have to setup an account to view. Do you have the Inspire X 2017 software?.

Pierre
    KH.....(.25)....(.50)....(1.0)....(2.0)....(3.0).. ..(4.0)....(6.0)....(8.0)
    Left......8..........0........10....... 10.......45........60........50.......65
    Right....8..........0........10........10.......40 .......50........45.......50

Signia Pure Primax 5PX 03/2017