Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Here...

I also wonder if there may be headsets worn with aids to hear sound more naturally. Like, surely in sound mixing booths SOMEONE must wear aids? What do they do to compensate for that flat, tinny sound that aids produce from mic to receiver? Do they just remove the aids, put on headsets and jack the volume up to mix tracks? No idea.

Perhaps some device that hooks up from the amplifier to the headset to the aids? Or - what do musicians like Bono, et al, wear on-stage that look like CIE hard-case aids? Just tossing ideas out here.

It does appear that Pepper can do without his aids except in conversation ... not ideal, but music IS important to him.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

I've been wearing hearing aids for ten years. It took a few years to get used to them. The self-consciousness went away pretty quickly and then they started feeling more and more comfortable. I wear them all the time. Still, after about five or six hours I feel a little ear fatigue, and take them out for thirty minutes. Also, I've tried a lot of programs, but I usually stick to the basic automatic settings. I like BTEs a little better than RICs. Stick with it. It won't be long before it becomes pretty natural.
    Steve

250 500 1K 2K 4K 3K 6K 8K
    L 35 30 20 40 50 55 75 85
    R 35 30 25 50 55 60 80 90
    Speech Discrimination L 80 R 64

Do you have an "open fit?" If so, you could just mute or turn off the aids while playing guitar. If you have the app, there's a mute switch. Otherwise, you'd need Costco to set them up so you could turn them on and off with the buttons on the aids.

For TV, I'm happier with "TV ears" than my hearing aids. Understanding conversations in loud noise is still a challenge for me and I think anybody with fairly good low frequency hearing. There's just no way for the aids to block the noise if the aids aren't amplifying that frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper2013 View Post
    Thanks again to all who have taken the time to respond. I realize that it is going to take some time to get used to hearing aids....the folks at Costco certainly emphasized that. Right now my biggest concern (in addition to the distance to Costco) is playing my guitar and banjo (and singing). From what I've read so far, finding an adjustment that works is going to be a challenge with digital hearing aids. Us "Pickers" are very particular about how our instruments sound. We spend a lot of time, tweaking, and money to get the "right" sound out of our instruments. So, when I pick up one of my guitars that I paid several thousand dollar for and it suddenly sounds like $49 pawn shop special, you can imagine how disheartening that can be. Then when I sing, in my head it seems like I sound like Alvin (one of the Disney chipmunks)... I'll probably just have to take the hearing aids out when I play, which will be a hassle as I play several times a day.

I'm sure I can get used to things sounding tinny and raspy. I don't really need to hear the rustling of paper, every little air leak and rattle in my car, etc... I just needed to understand conversations better in a crowd and the words on tv.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Let me reinforce the suggestion to contact Buyhear. I have purchased hearing aids from Costco, neighborhood dispensers, and online services, but this has been my best experience by far. Buyhear's prices are excellent and they are always available by phone for advice and adjustments. Unlike Costco, they always have the latest technology.

I think Buyhear would be especially good for you because of your remote location. I live in the NYC area and I still prefer them. Please believe I do not work for Buyhear. I am just super pleased and very fond of those guys.

I have never liked domes, so I use earmolds. I know that earmolds come in many different hard and soft plastics, including hypoallergenic materials. My favorite earmold manufacturer is Westone.

Try wearing your hearing aids as many hours a day as possible. It just takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper2013 View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. I'll continue wearing them, but the distance problem is probably going to be a deal breaker. I wasn't aware that a person would possibly need to go back several times for adjustments, etc. I wish the folks at Costco had made this clear before I made the appointment for the hearing test. Such is life. I don't know if the staff is new to Montana or not, but I've found that most people not familiar with the logistics here don't really comprehend what is involved with getting from one place to another. Most travel for us is on two lane highways and it's a long ways to most places. We're used to it and don't think about it all that much, but 450 miles multiple times is a bit much.
    Last edited by simring; 03-09-2017 at 06:19 AM.
    Steve

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by simring View Post
    Let me reinforce the suggestion to contact Buyhear. I have purchased hearing aids from Costco, neighborhood dispensers, and online services, but this has been my best experience by far. Buyhear's prices are excellent and they are always available by phone for advice and adjustments. Unlike Costco, they always have the latest technology.

I think Buyhear would be especially good for you because of your remote location. I live in the NYC area and I still prefer them. Please believe I do not work for Buyhear. I am just super pleased and very fond of those guys.

I have never liked domes, so I use earmolds. I know that earmolds come in many different hard and soft plastics, including hypoallergenic materials. My favorite earmold manufacturer is Westone.

Try wearing your hearing aids as many hours a day as possible. It just takes time.
    Did you get the custom molds through BuyHear.com or did you have it done separately? If separately, did you have to send your HAs (or at least your receivers) in to have the molds made around them? Or do they just have an opening for you to push the receiver in when you receive the molds so you don't have to send your HAs in?

If you had the molds done through BuyHear.com, what is the process for it? You send the impression in to them first before they ship the HAs out to you? What if you try out the domes first, don't like them, and want molds? How would BuyHear handle it after the fact?
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    Did you get the custom molds through BuyHear.com or did you have it done separately? If separately, did you have to send your HAs (or at least your receivers) in to have the molds made around them? Or do they just have an opening for you to push the receiver in when you receive the molds so you don't have to send your HAs in?

If you had the molds done through BuyHear.com, what is the process for it? You send the impression in to them first before they ship the HAs out to you? What if you try out the domes first, don't like them, and want molds? How would BuyHear handle it after the fact?
    I have used molds both for BTE aids and for RICs, but I had the molds before I found Buyhear. I know I'm going to need some new molds soon. I just wrote Buyhear to ask if they do the mold fittings by mail. I know that in the old days, Lloyds used to send a fitting kit with the impression to be returned. I'll let you know what they say.

As far as trying out the domes first, that is never a problem. Hearing aids with thin tubes always come with domes, which can be snapped off and replaced with different size domes or with molds. I just don't like domes at all.

My hearing loss is mainly high frequency. The trick with molds for me is to have the molds made with wide open vents for a non-occlusive fit. With more low frequency loss, you need more occlusion and molds are perfect for that.
    Steve

I have used molds both for BTE aids and for RICs, but I had the molds before I found Buyhear. I know I'm going to need some new molds soon. I just wrote Buyhear to ask if they do the mold fittings by mail. I know that in the old days, Lloyds used to send a fitting kit with the impression to be returned. I'll let you know what they say.

As far as trying out the domes first, that is never a problem. Hearing aids with thin tubes always come with domes, which can be snapped off and replaced with different size domes or with molds. I just don't like domes at all.

My hearing loss is mainly high frequency. The trick with molds for me is to have the molds made with wide open vents for a non-occlusive fit. With more low frequency loss, you need more occlusion and molds are perfect for that.
    Okay, I just received the following reply from Buyhear. You can write directly to Mark Sorensen <mark@buyhear.com>. Or send me a private message if you'd like to discuss further. I do not (yet) have a "more severe hearing loss," but I have always preferred molds even when my hearing was better.

What if I need custom ear molds?
    95% of the clients who receive hearing aids from us use the replaceable "rubber" domes on their receivers. Only those who have a more severe hearing loss usually need molds and we have several ways to assist with that request. 1. Get impressions done locally and send them to us to be made for your new hearing aids. 2. Send is a pair of your current molds and we can have them duplicated for your new hearing aids. 3. We can contact the manufacturer of your current hearing aids and give them the serial number so they can send us a copy. 4. We can send you the material, the applicator, a video and instructions to create your own impressions if you are able. Give me a call and we can visit about the best options that will still offer you significant savings.

Steve

8. Default

Okay, I just received the following reply from Buyhear. You can write directly to Mark Sorensen <mark@buyhear.com>. Or send me a private message if you'd like to discuss further. I do not (yet) have a "more severe hearing loss," but I have always preferred molds even when my hearing was better.

What if I need custom ear molds?
    95% of the clients who receive hearing aids from us use the replaceable "rubber" domes on their receivers. Only those who have a more severe hearing loss usually need molds and we have several ways to assist with that request. 1. Get impressions done locally and send them to us to be made for your new hearing aids. 2. Send is a pair of your current molds and we can have them duplicated for your new hearing aids. 3. We can contact the manufacturer of your current hearing aids and give them the serial number so they can send us a copy. 4. We can send you the material, the applicator, a video and instructions to create your own impressions if you are able. Give me a call and we can visit about the best options that will still offer you significant savings.

3. We can contact the manufacturer of your current hearing aids and give them the serial number so they can send us a copy

Wow, I didn't know that the mfg keeps around the impression of each and every single molds they make for their customers. That doesn't make any sense. Where would they get the room to store all of it, and why would they want to? They can always make new impressions if they need to. Or am I missing something here?
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

I bought through BuyHear as well and I wanted the molds made. They sent me the material and the applicator (like a syringe). My fear though is that they won't come out right (either impression not deep enough or not snug enough) and I don't want to waste money on them. So I'm still mulling it over. The domes in my opinion just aren't comfortable.
    Tony
    ---------------------
    Oticon OPNs
    Previously: Bernafon Juna 9s with Soundgate 3
    ----------------------
    55 55 50 10 60 25
    250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    55 60 45 15 20 10

Word Recognition, 60% at 70 db (left), 96% at 65db (right)
    <Tested 1/2/17>

It's all digital they receive the impressions from your AuD scan them then cut a mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    3. We can contact the manufacturer of your current hearing aids and give them the serial number so they can send us a copy

Wow, I didn't know that the mfg keeps around the impression of each and every single molds they make for their customers. That doesn't make any sense. Where would they get the room to store all of it, and why would they want to? They can always make new impressions if they need to. Or am I missing something here?