Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Here...

1. Default New Here...

Well, I just found this forum. I got my first hearing aids yesterday at Costco. I'm 66 years old. So, I've been messing around with the volume and trying to figure some stuff out and get used to them. This is going to take some time.................

Welcome! Yep, definitely takes some getting used to. I got my first ones a few months ago at Costco at age 62.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper2013 View Post
    Well, I just found this forum. I got my first hearing aids yesterday at Costco. I'm 66 years old. So, I've been messing around with the volume and trying to figure some stuff out and get used to them. This is going to take some time.................
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    Welcome! Yep, definitely takes some getting used to. I got my first ones a few months ago at Costco at age 62.
    My biggest problem is that it's a 450 mile round trip for me to Costco if I have questions are need adjustments, etc. So, I can't just drop by. It's 8 hours of driving on good roads. Yesterday about 100 miles of it were slicker than snot, so it was more like 10 hours of driving.

I'm guessing many of your questions can be answered via the forum, although it's buyer beware. You need to evaluate answers with your judgement. There may not be any need for adjustments. If you don't have any situations that the aids don't work for you, you can just leave things alone. If you do get adjustments, it might be a good idea to try things out as much as possible before driving home.

My biggest problem is that it's a 450 mile round trip for me to Costco if I have questions are need adjustments, etc. So, I can't just drop by. It's 8 hours of driving on good roads. Yesterday about 100 miles of it were slicker than snot, so it was more like 10 hours of driving.

5. Default

Thanks for the tips... I wish now I'd stayed in Billings overnight to test them out before heading home. I'm really unsure of the adjustments...changing modes, the volume, etc. I just don't see any difference when I change anything. I play music (guitar, banjo, etc....bluegrass) and I absolutely cannot play my guitar or banjo with the Hearing Aids on. Everything is very sharp and very raspy. I mentioned this to the audiologist and he said he'd put in a music mode, but I see no difference at all. I really wasn't very impressed with the person who fitted me... He did a ton of explaining but it was information overload. I learn by doing....not by someone telling my how to do something. When I asked a question he just said, "Don't worry...it's all in the manual if you forget"... I kept telling him things were too raspy and sharp, but he said I just needed to get used to them. Time will tell.......

If your Costco HAs work out for you then that's great. If not and you decided to return them for a refund before your trial period is up, or if the reason for the refund is because you need adjustment and they're just too far away, there's another option to buy remotely and get fitted remotely. BuyHear.com is an example of this. They preprogram your HAs and mail them to you. If you need adjustment within the 60 days MBG, they'll send out the programming device to your home so you can hook them up and they'll do the adjustment online/over the phone with you. After you're all satisfied, you mail the programming device back to them.

If you live very far away from a local audiologist, or Costco in this case, this remote online purchase model may work out for you better.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

There's a lot to be said to getting used to them. Depending on your hearing, you might be happier playing guitar without them. (That's my preference) General advice is to leave things on automatic and if things are too loud, turn the volume down, but keep wearing them. Might be able to offer more help if I knew which hearing aids you had and what your audiogram looks like.

Thanks for the tips... I wish now I'd stayed in Billings overnight to test them out before heading home. I'm really unsure of the adjustments...changing modes, the volume, etc. I just don't see any difference when I change anything. I play music (guitar, banjo, etc....bluegrass) and I absolutely cannot play my guitar or banjo with the Hearing Aids on. Everything is very sharp and very raspy. I mentioned this to the audiologist and he said he'd put in a music mode, but I see no difference at all. I really wasn't very impressed with the person who fitted me... He did a ton of explaining but it was information overload. I learn by doing....not by someone telling my how to do something. When I asked a question he just said, "Don't worry...it's all in the manual if you forget"... I kept telling him things were too raspy and sharp, but he said I just needed to get used to them. Time will tell.......

Not sure if staying in Billings overnight would have helped unless your Costco HA department is not very busy or you have a prior appointment. The Costco HA center at my house is so busy that they have to add another HIS and another fitting booth.

Since this is your first HAs, beside giving it time to get used to the HAs, maybe you don't know how to tell the differences between the programs yet, and that's why they all sound the same to you, which is fine. There's a first to everything. First off, you'll need to be in the environment the mode is designed for, and in a different environment where the mode isn't designed for, to be able to start recognizing the difference. For example, if you're in a noisy restaurant, if you put the HAs in the noise reduction mode, you'll probably hear the noise volume lessened, so you can focus on hearing the speech sound in front. But if you turn on the music program in the same noisy restaurant, you'll start hearing everything, noise included. That's how you can tell the difference. But if you sit in the quiet living room at home, toggle back and forth between the Noise program and the Music program isn't going to sound any different.

Conversely, if you turn on the music for listening, in the Noise program, you'll probably notice that the sound is stifled a bit. But switching it over to the Music program, you'll start hearing the sound opened up a bit more and you can hear more of it, including a lot of nuances like echos and reverbs and the smaller detailed sounds, like perhaps the sound of the cymbals, bells, etc. That's how you can begin to tell the difference.

As for playing guitar and the banjo live, that's not the same as listening to the music. The music from your sound system is already compressed and tempered for easy listening at any volume level. But the guitar and banjo played live will be louder with a LOT of attacks and dynamics. Whether they will sound great through your HAs or not depends on whether the mic inputs of the HAs can handle that much dynamics or not. Not all HAs are designed to sound great for live music. Most HAs are designed and optimized for speech mostly. Some of the higher end ones may be designed to be able to handle live music better. But this should be the expectation you need to have with regards to how live music may sound through HAs.

Like MDB said, the volume button is your friend for the next few months until your brain can adapt to this new change gradually. But after a while, you should be able to turn the volume back up a little more at a time until you can leave it at the default level and be comfortable with that all day long.

Costco has a great 180 days trial period in the US, so just take advantage of that and take your time getting assimilated to the new HAs.

And like MDB said, if you can share your audiogram and your HA make and model, it'll help give people a better idea so they can give you better advice. Good luck!
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

9. Default

Thanks for all the suggestions. My hearing aids are Kirkland 7.0. I don't know what my audiogram is. All they said was that I couldn't hear the higher frequencies well (like some women and children). Maybe I'll just have to not use the hearing aids when playing my guitar and banjo and maybe not in the vehicle also... Just have to mess around and see what works best.

One other thing: The Hearing Aids make my ears itch like crazy. I tried a bit of anti-itch cream, but after a while it wears off and they start itching again. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Last edited by Pepper2013; 03-03-2017 at 03:56 PM.

I would also second considering BuyHear.com with you being that far from Costco. All the adjustments are done over the phone and in the comfort of your own home. All you need is a wifi connection and they supply a tablet to connect the aids to for them to adjust. In all reality, it takes several adjustments before things are going to be tuned in properly. Also the first month or two takes time for you to get used to the way things sound.