Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Here...

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    3. We can contact the manufacturer of your current hearing aids and give them the serial number so they can send us a copy

Wow, I didn't know that the mfg keeps around the impression of each and every single molds they make for their customers. That doesn't make any sense. Where would they get the room to store all of it, and why would they want to? They can always make new impressions if they need to. Or am I missing something here?
    I believe nowadays the manufacturers really can duplicate earmolds I don't think they store actual impressions. My understanding is that they digitize the impressions, and can easily recreate the molds from the digital blueprint.
    Steve

250 500 1K 2K 4K 3K 6K 8K
    L 35 30 20 40 50 55 75 85
    R 35 30 25 50 55 60 80 90
    Speech Discrimination L 80 R 64

Quote Originally Posted by Abarsanti View Post
    I bought through BuyHear as well and I wanted the molds made. They sent me the material and the applicator (like a syringe). My fear though is that they won't come out right (either impression not deep enough or not snug enough) and I don't want to waste money on them. So I'm still mulling it over. The domes in my opinion just aren't comfortable.
    I couldn't agree more about the domes. Theoretically, domes should work best for my hearing loss, but I don't like wearing them. The major problem with molds is to make them wide open. I plan to order my next set of molds from BuyHear and I'll let you know how they turn out.
    Steve

250 500 1K 2K 4K 3K 6K 8K
    L 35 30 20 40 50 55 75 85
    R 35 30 25 50 55 60 80 90
    Speech Discrimination L 80 R 64

Like Pepper2013, I too am about to head to CostCo (about 120 miles away) next week. I had my hearing tested last year and got sticker shock from the two options given by my Audiologist - so I decided to tough it out. I am now excited about it this time primarily because of the information that I've gotten for this forum. So thank you for all the good scoop. I feel more prepared than I was last year but am confident that I will be overwhelmed once I get there.
    HAs - TBD

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0
    Left ..20....20....40....40.....55....50....60....70
    Right 15....15....35....40.....55....70....65....65

It may pay you to try and find someone local - even if it costs more. You will almost certainly need to have your new HA "fine tuned" a few times in the first 2-4 months.
    Mike
    250 --500-- 1000-- 1500-- 2000-- 3000-- 4000-- 8000
    35 --- 25----- 30---- 45----- 55----- 65----- 80----- 95
    (Both ears almost identical)

Thanks. After reading this forum, I fully expect that there will be some trips for additional tuning. To me, the issue is financial. My local Audi gave me two choices: $6K and $8K. Sam's Club locally had something slightly less in their HA section, but I figure that the HAs plus the trips should more than likely still result in less cost.

Quote Originally Posted by miket View Post
    It may pay you to try and find someone local - even if it costs more. You will almost certainly need to have your new HA "fine tuned" a few times in the first 2-4 months.
    HAs - TBD

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0
    Left ..20....20....40....40.....55....50....60....70
    Right 15....15....35....40.....55....70....65....65

Quote Originally Posted by Imageezer48 View Post
    Thanks. After reading this forum, I fully expect that there will be some trips for additional tuning. To me, the issue is financial. My local Audi gave me two choices: $6K and $8K. Sam's Club locally had something slightly less in their HA section, but I figure that the HAs plus the trips should more than likely still result in less cost.
    6 to $8K!!!!??? That is ridiculous!. Your numbers aren't unusual.
    Mike
    250 --500-- 1000-- 1500-- 2000-- 3000-- 4000-- 8000
    35 --- 25----- 30---- 45----- 55----- 65----- 80----- 95
    (Both ears almost identical)

7. Default

Well, I'm two weeks into the hearing aids. I'm still having trouble with music (playing an instrument or listening to the radio in my truck, etc.). My brother-in-law has hearing aids like mine from Costco and he said to just turn them off when I'm listening to or playing music. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to turn them off, so I called Costco. I had some other questions for them also. The gal at Costco pulled up my info on her computer and said my hearing aids were not programmed to turn off and on....that the only way to turn them off was to take them out and open the battery compartment. She had no idea why the person doing my hearing aids didn't set them up so I could turn them off, but said to bring them in and they'd reprogram them so I could turn them off. I again explained it wasn't that simple as it was a 450 mile trip for me. I then told her the little manual that came with the hearing aids was terrible...that it didn't explain how to switch to the different modes, what the tones meant, etc. She said the person who set me up should have written that all in the manual for me. I saw that there was places in the manual for making notes, but didn't know it was for Costco to make the notes. I also explained that everything was still extremely sharp and tinny sounding and that the music mode was terrible... I see no difference whatsoever in the different modes. She said it sounded like they needed to be adjusted again.

I know it's only been two weeks and they said it would be 4 to 8 weeks for a person to get used to them, but with the current settings I don't see that happening and I don't know when I can get back to Costco. Understanding speech is better when I don't have the hearing aids in. The clanking of dishes, barking of a dog, squeaking of a door, etc. all override people talking. In my truck I can only understand about half of what people are saying on the radio, if that. I really don't need to hear all of those little annoying sounds like water running, paper crinkling, etc.

I'm very frustrated and annoyed with Costco. They are extremely busy in Billings....very, very busy. They were running behind schedule the day I was there and I think the person who set me up was in a hurry as there were people waiting outside his door. I felt like it was "get me in, get me out, and get the next one in here"....

It will take time to get used to hearing the small annoying sounds again, your brain can adjust to a large degree so that issue might be better for you after some time. As for turning the aids off, I'm not certain any modern hearing aid has an on/off switch. For at least the last two and a half decades my HA's have been "switched off" by opening the battery door either a little or all the way.

Music mode - there's an area digital HA's are not as good as last century's analog aids. I hated music on all my digitals until my current aid. Best way to use the HA with music is to have the music mode cease as much processing as possible and mimic analog. Shut off compression, feedback cancellation, frequency shifting, etc. Some aid designs will not allow to go this far, depends on the aid, and I am not familiar with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper2013 View Post
    Well, I'm two weeks into the hearing aids. I'm still having trouble with music (playing an instrument or listening to the radio in my truck, etc.). My brother-in-law has hearing aids like mine from Costco and he said to just turn them off when I'm listening to or playing music. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to turn them off, so I called Costco. I had some other questions for them also. The gal at Costco pulled up my info on her computer and said my hearing aids were not programmed to turn off and on....that the only way to turn them off was to take them out and open the battery compartment. She had no idea why the person doing my hearing aids didn't set them up so I could turn them off, but said to bring them in and they'd reprogram them so I could turn them off. I again explained it wasn't that simple as it was a 450 mile trip for me. I then told her the little manual that came with the hearing aids was terrible...that it didn't explain how to switch to the different modes, what the tones meant, etc. She said the person who set me up should have written that all in the manual for me. I saw that there was places in the manual for making notes, but didn't know it was for Costco to make the notes. I also explained that everything was still extremely sharp and tinny sounding and that the music mode was terrible... I see no difference whatsoever in the different modes. She said it sounded like they needed to be adjusted again.

I know it's only been two weeks and they said it would be 4 to 8 weeks for a person to get used to them, but with the current settings I don't see that happening and I don't know when I can get back to Costco. Understanding speech is better when I don't have the hearing aids in. The clanking of dishes, barking of a dog, squeaking of a door, etc. all override people talking. In my truck I can only understand about half of what people are saying on the radio, if that. I really don't need to hear all of those little annoying sounds like water running, paper crinkling, etc.

I'm very frustrated and annoyed with Costco. They are extremely busy in Billings....very, very busy. They were running behind schedule the day I was there and I think the person who set me up was in a hurry as there were people waiting outside his door. I felt like it was "get me in, get me out, and get the next one in here"....
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

[QUOTE=JeffBowser;150133]It will take time to get used to hearing the small annoying sounds again, your brain can adjust to a large degree so that issue might be better for you after some time. As for turning the aids off, I'm not certain any modern hearing aid has an on/off switch. For at least the last two and a half decades my HA's have been "switched off" by opening the battery door either a little or all the way.

Don't know about other aids, but the KS7s definitely can be set up to have an off switch, but it needs to be programmed that way as mentioned by the Costco person. I find it helpful when the battery warning starts chiming and it's not convenient to change batteries right then or in the rare occasions that I want them off without needing to remove them.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mdb View Post
    Don't know about other aids, but the ks7s definitely can be set up to have an off switch, but it needs to be programmed that way as mentioned by the costco person. I find it helpful when the battery warning starts chiming and it's not convenient to change batteries right then or in the rare occasions that i want them off without needing to remove them.
    Usually I find that if it's not a physical on/off switch (other than opening up the battery compartment to disconnect the battery), it's more likely to be a mute function but it doesn't really turn the HA off. It only turns the mic off. That is the case for my OPN. A long push mutes the mic, and another quick push re-enables the mic again. The difference is that the mute continues to drain your battery because your HA is still ON.

I wonder if the KS7 can really be turned off simply via a programming switch where it doesn't actually continue to drain the battery. Or if it's simply a mute function? I highly doubt you can disengage the battery totally via a programming switch.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100