Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noob at Costco, plus Made for iPhone, how important?

1. Default Noob at Costco, plus Made for iPhone, how important?

Hello to all, can you hear me in the back?

After a life of loud music, loud machinery and hunting it's come time for HA's.

My ENT told me that there's no reason HA's should cost so much and advised me to go to Costco. I did some reading up, especially about Made for iPhone (MFI) which seems to me like a great idea, an entire extra level of options.

I went for my test at Costco this week and tried out their Phonak Brio 2's. I had asked if they were MFI and was told they were. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well they sounded and how I adjusted to them. I was ready order but then when going over how to program I found out the audiologist was wrong, that they were APP compatible, not MFI.

I had to leave but am going back next week to try out they're MFI offerings, namely the ReSound Cala whihc seems to be the only MFI they offer. Apple's web page shows the Kirkland Signature 6.0 as being MFI but not the newer 7.0.

Ultimately I will go with the one that I adjust to best but this begs the question of how much more versatile the MFI's are. To use a cell phone the Brio's need a special device that hangs around the neck which will not work for me.

I really like the idea of being able to do adjustments through the phone and that feature where you may use the phone as a remote mic in seminars and such.

Any advice here as to which direction I should go?

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0....3.0....4.0. ....6.0....8.0

Left ...5......7......10.....15....30....55.....65..... 80......90.....90
    Right .0... ..7......10.....10....30....45.....60.....70...... 90.....95

WRS 88/80 at 45/40

My Oticon OPNs are MFI and I find this feature to be invaluable for phone calls and even streaming media. Ultimately I would suggest going with the aid that works best for you in all settings. The KS7 and the Cala both seem like fine aids. The Cala is the only MFI aid that Costco carries. They are based on the Resound Linx2 9 series. I think the KS7 is similar to the Rexton Trax 42. If you check the sub forums here, there are several threads on each with users experience.
    Last edited by Abarsanti; 03-04-2017 at 02:17 PM.

If you already have an iPhone and you're on the phone a lot, or stream media from the phone a lot, then MFI can be very handy. But if you've been using a nice pair of headphones for media streaming, beware that the HAs simply cannot match and deliver the kind of sound quality a nice set of headphones can, especially in the low range if you like nice deep bass (and seems like you still have fairly normal hearing on the low ends so I'm sure that's important to you).

So if you want to still use quality headphones for media streaming even after you start wearing HAs, then that cuts down on the value of MFI a bit.

If you're not on the phone that much (like constantly for work/business), then that cuts down on the value of MFI a bit more. For your level of mostly just high frequency loss, I don't think you'd have too much trouble hearing on the phone even without HAs in the first place.

If you have an Android phone and would have to switch over to an iPhone to take advantage of MFI, then that makes MFI even less alluring.

Having said all that, I still dumped my Samsung Note 4 and bought an iPhone just so I can get MFI, even though I'm not on the phone a lot (except for business calls which I use a soft phone on my laptop), nor do I stream media from my phone a lot. So go figure. I didn't pick my current OPN HAs for MFI, but because it has MFI, I want that MFI nice-to-have convenience, just to have.:-)
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

4. Default

Thanks to both. I already have an iPhone, iPad, Macbook, etc. so the convenience seems an important feature. I'm not a streamer , I do use good headphones for watching television but thought they might be unnecessary once I had my HA's.

As for actual phone use I do a fair amount of calling while driving, I feel that might be a good reason for MFI. I also like the extent of the MFI app with the phone as far as customizing sound to different situations. I like the idea I can do it from the phone without having to use another interface. I have also looked at the app that comes with the Brio, it seems pretty simplistic, just adjusting bass and treble.

I'm going to try the Cala's and see if the performance is as good as the Brios. Costco's 180 trial is great to test out units.

WRS 88/80 at 45/40

One thing to keep in mind if you're on the phone is that you still need to hold the phone up close to your mouth while on the phone to keep your voice quality/clarity good for the other end. Especially while driving when it's noisy and you have your phone on a dashboard holder or somewhere far away from your mouth. So while's it's convenient for you to hear, it's still inconvenient for you to talk, compare to a neck streamer that has a built-in mic like the Brio's. Because of this, some folks would still prefer a neck streamer for a totally hands-free phone call. Of course in a more quiet place where you can rest the phone on a table only about a foot away from your mouth then it can be hands-free that way.

I believe the Resound Cala comes with a Phone Clip streamer for Bluetooth devices on the other end that you clip on somewhere on your body and don't necessarily wear around your neck. And the Cala also has MFI as well as we all already know. So you can definitely use this Phone Clip for a total hands-free phone call experience if you need to as well. So that should work out very well for you.

For watching TV content, direct streaming is fine because the emphasis is more on speech than full spectrum music with heavier bass. But if for music with heavy bass, you'll probably still going to want to use the headphones. Instead of buying a separate Resound TV Streamer to the tune of around $300, you can just use your Phone Clip to watch TV as long as your TV is Bluetooth enabled. Even if not, you can be a generic Bluetooth device around $50 that the TV can drive audio out to (via wiring) and this device broadcasts Bluetooth to your Phone Clip which then streams to your HAs. But I don't know if the Phone Clip streams to the Resound Cala in stereo or mono, though. Hopefully in stereo.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 03-04-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

The Kirkland Signiture models are now made by Sivantos aka Siemens. Resound stopped making them in 2016 hence why the kirkland 6.0 is iphone compatible and the 7.0 isn't. I'd definately go with the Resound even though the Siemens is "newer". Resound make a better quality product in my opinion.

7. Default

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to answer my question, great community here to answer a newcomer so well. I think I'll be trying out the Resound Cala's next week and promise to report back on my experience at Costco for others who may follow.

Rob
    Last edited by Recoil Rob; 03-07-2017 at 04:02 PM.

WRS 88/80 at 45/40

any update on the cala's?

9. Default

For those of you who have used iPhone apps, would you fill out this survey? http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3429866/Student-Survey-HA-Forum

I'm a student working on a project, and I'd love your feedback on what you use apps for, if they help you, and if there are any features you wish they had. Based on this feedback, we can identify what is working, what isn't, and potentially develop an app that is better suited to real user's needs.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AudioStudent View Post
    For those of you who have used iPhone apps, would you fill out this survey? http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3429866/Student-Survey-HA-Forum

I'm a student working on a project, and I'd love your feedback on what you use apps for, if they help you, and if there are any features you wish they had. Based on this feedback, we can identify what is working, what isn't, and potentially develop an app that is better suited to real user's needs.

Thanks!
    Your link seems to require some kind of a sign in for Outlook web app. Nobody would bother in this case.