Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this and to forum

Default New to this and to forum

I am 63 and recently had my hearing checked at Costco which confirmed what I kind of knew and that is that I need to get hearing aids.

Costco suggested taking a look at the KS7 and the ReSound Cala and I will going back in April 3rd for more testing and to demo both. I know enough from reading on here that a short demo around the store is not the best way to check out the hearing aids but it is a start and with Costco's trial period it should make it easier.

Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to when doing the initial demo? Are the ReSound Cala worth the extra money over the KS7's? I was told by the person who answers the phone at the hearing center that the ReSound Cala would offer more adjustability if my hearing deteriorates any more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tasdisr; 03-07-2017 at 02:21 PM.

I think the big selling point of the Calas is that they can stream directly to iPhones. If that's not important, I'd try the KS7s first. Not sure that I buy the part about them having more adjustability if your hearing deteriorates more. The KS7s come with multiple receivers that can fit a pretty broad range of hearing. However, I'm just speculating as I haven't seen your audiogram.

Quote Originally Posted by tasdisr View Post
    I am 63 and recently had my hearing checked at Costco which confirmed what I kind of knew and that is that I need to get hearing aids.

Costco suggested taking a look at the KS7 and the ReSound Cala and I will going back in April 3rd for more testing and to demo both. I know enough from reading on here that a short demo around the store is not the best way to check out the hearing aids but it is a start and with Costco's trial period it should make it easier.

Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to when doing the initial demo? Are the ReSound Cala worth the extra money over the KS7's? I was told by the person who answers the phone at the hearing center that the ReSound Cala would offer more adjustability if my hearing deteriorates any more.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    I think the big selling point of the Calas is that they can stream directly to iPhones. If that's not important, I'd try the KS7s first. Not sure that I buy the part about them having more adjustability if your hearing deteriorates more. The KS7s come with multiple receivers that can fit a pretty broad range of hearing. However, I'm just speculating as I haven't seen your audiogram.
    Thanks, the only thing they gave me is the attachment in my post.

Blog Entries

Your loss approaches sever in the higher frequencies. Either aid should work well. Choosing will be a matter of personal choice. One is likely to sound a bit better for you. The Cala is size 13 can install a higher receiver (speaker) should you loss continue lower. I have the KS6 which is an earlier version of the platform the Cala uses and have a sever loss and find the aids adequate. With a severe loss, how they work in noisy situation can be problematic. Try to review that during the demos. It is likely to be loudest in the snack bar area.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Streaming directly to an iPhone is not a concern as I use an Android phone and really have no intention of moving to an iPhone. I am more concerned about which HA will help my hearing problem and enable me to hear better.
    I do like the idea of having a phone app to control volume on the HA and to make other minor adjustments. Not sure if the optional Smart Connect is needed to use the phone app with the KS7 or not, same with the remote they offer.
    My plan is to demo both at the store to get a quick feel for both, but I will probably end up getting the KS7's. With Costco's return policy I figure if they do not seem to do the job I can try the Cala.

The KS7 has a phone app called Smart Remote. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rtremote&hl=en It does not require the Smart Connect (There's a separate app for the Smart Connect. Lots of info on the KS7s on the forums (a fair amount on the Calas too) I suspect the KS7s wiil serve you well.

Streaming directly to an iPhone is not a concern as I use an Android phone and really have no intention of moving to an iPhone. I am more concerned about which HA will help my hearing problem and enable me to hear better.
    I do like the idea of having a phone app to control volume on the HA and to make other minor adjustments. Not sure if the optional Smart Connect is needed to use the phone app with the KS7 or not, same with the remote they offer.
    My plan is to demo both at the store to get a quick feel for both, but I will probably end up getting the KS7's. With Costco's return policy I figure if they do not seem to do the job I can try the Cala.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

I don't see a severe lost in that audiogram either would handle your lost with power to spare if the iPhone feature holds no attraction for you then the KS7 would be excellent. IMO, without the Smart Connect you are missing out. You need it if you want the app to do the spatial control function with a few more option than the onboard rockers. If will also allow you to pair 2 phones, 2 TVLinks and multiple BT devices. It gives you total hands free phone, gives you your own TV volume while other folks can run the TV at a normal volume. Don't like what they are watching watch whatever you like without going to another room. Even with the additional cost you are still out the door for less money than the Cala. I would bundle the package it will give you 180 days on the aids and the accessories.
    Last edited by Doc Jake; 03-07-2017 at 04:45 PM.

8. Default

Hi tasdisr, I suggest you check threads under: Forum>Hearing Aids>Digital Hearing Aids>GN ReSound.....and Rexton.
    ReSound being mfgr of Costco ReSound CALA and Rexton mfgr of KS 7. Many in-depth discussions in each of these threads.
    I began trialing CALA's on 2-10-17 and very pleased with their performance and convenience of the MFi (made for iPhone) feature...EXCEPT
    Whenever I turn my head left or right, either at my desk or out walking...what occurs is that the BT seems unable to transmit through or around my head and one or the other earpiece loses contact and goes dead.
    Granted I like to carry my iPhone in my shirt breast pocket, rather than on my forehead. The Costco HAS had blown off my mention of such, saying that others had mentioned the same. I would appreciate your comments on this matter when you get HA's in your ears. Floyd
    L 15 15 60 70 75 75 50 55 80
    R 35 35 55 65 85 95 45 60 80

Hz25.50 1...2...4...8...Sr..Wr1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    I don't see a severe lost in that audiogram either would handle your lost with power to spare if the iPhone feature holds no attraction for you then the KS7 would be excellent. IMO, without the Smart Connect you are missing out. You need it if you want the app to do the spatial control function with a few more option than the onboard rockers. If will also allow you to pair 2 phones, 2 TVLinks and multiple BT devices. It gives you total hands free phone, gives you your own TV volume while other folks can run the TV at a normal volume. Don't like what they are watching watch whatever you like without going to another room. Even with the additional cost you are still out the door for less money than the Cala. I would bundle the package it will give you 180 days on the aids and the accessories.
    Thanks for information! Very helpful. I just downloaded the manual for the Signia Easy-Tek which I am guessing is the same as the Smart Connect and it does look like it adds a quite a bit of functionality. I think they told me the Smart Connect was $209 and the remote was another $89 but am I correct in thinking if I have the Smart Connect the remote would not be needed.

Correct, the Smart Connect (exactly the same as the easyTek) will handle all you remote functions. Several 'be sure they' things to mention to them. You want the rocker switches programmed.. The right one has to be spatial control and the left needs to be set short touch volume control, longer touch program change and long hold mute. I would also have them turn the extended notifications so you know what's happening you can have them turned later if they annoy you.

Also stick with the default/auto program.. Don't load it up with extra.

Pro side..
    https://www.bestsoundtechnology.com/...eless/easytek/

Also head over here and nose around. (It's free unless you want the ceu)
    http://www.audiologyonline.com/audio...ignia-siemens/
    Last edited by Doc Jake; 03-07-2017 at 05:28 PM.