Thread: Resound Tinnitus masking built-in v. w/o and Resound Relief Tinnutus App

Question Resound Tinnitus masking built-in v. w/o and Resound Relief Tinnutus App

I'm considering the Cala 8 BTE from Costco. Have moderate-severe notch at 4K but severe tinnitus and am hoping I'm one of those that will benefit from white noise masking.

None of Costco's HA have tinnitus masking enabled, according to the Audi at my Costco.

But the Resound Relief App for iOS will stream any kind of white noise/soothing sound one chooses into the Cala's.

Question: Anyone with tinnitus experienced the difference between the built-in masking function and the Relief App's streaming sounds? Does the built-in masking have any of the flexibility/tuning that the app does?

Sure would be nice to get them for half the price of the private practice Resound HA with the masking circuit enabled. I understand limitations as to iPhone only; I'm good with that. For $2,600 savings can buy lots of iPhones and spare battery chargers.

Thanks for your help!

I had my audi delete the tinnitus program from my Linx2's. Adding a hissing noise to mask my tinnitus did nothing but irritate me. It seemed to block a wider range of frequencies than the tinnitus does.

I've never done anything more than play with the iPhone app.
    ReSound Linx² LS962-DRW

Hidden Content

Blog Entries

Many report that just wearing the aids can reduce and even eliminate tinnitus. Mine is gone.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Thanks, TexasBob. I've been told that only a fraction of tinnitus sufferers benefit from the masking. Since my tinnitus has gotten worse, and these will be my first HA, and a large part of getting them is to try the masking--I'm interested in the differences between the built-in masking programs/sounds and those available by streaming from the Resound Relief app.

Trying to decide whether to go with the Cala 8's from Costco, with their superior replacement policy and six-month refund period--but no built-in masking; vs paying 2x cost at Audi for Lynx? with built-in. Both can use the Resound Relief app of course, and I understand the cons of iPhone battery drain taking that path. But for the $ difference I can buy a dedicated iPhone and several pocket battery chargers. Every year.

Just want to give myself best shot at seeing if I'm in the fraction that benefit from masking.

Hope someone that has experienced both will chime in.
    Cala 862 RIE w T-Coil, Phone Clip+
    Freq - 250 - 500 - 1k - 1.5k - 2k - 3k - 4k - 6k - 8k
    -- R -- 10 -- 10 - 20 -- 22 -- 20 - 50 - 60 - 50 - 45
    -- L -- 15 -- 22 - 22 -- 22 -- 25 - 55 - 60 - 45 - 40

Speech R 55/100% L 60/100% / Severe tinnitus ~6300Hz, binaural, sawtooth

Blog Entries

Go on utube and search for "noise"; there's white, pink, brown etc. These are the standard tinnitus programs for many aids. See if that helps.

Some aids can do a bit more if your tinnitus is a single tone. One of the fitters here can explain that better than I can.

As mentioned, tinnitus suffers are different and what works for one won't work for another. It is really hit or miss.

I had tinnitus and it is gone because I started wearing aids; but, that's me. I'm not alone in this though. Many report lower occurrence just from wearing aids. When more sounds are present, there is a tendency for the brain to adjust and sometimes that adjustment positively affect the tinnitus.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Thanks, KenP. I have tried some of the online tinnitus noise generators; haven't found one yet that I can match to my ears. And I do appreciate that we all vary a good deal.

What I'm trying to narrow down before purchasing is whether spending 2x to get the Audis full version of the Resounds with built-in tinnitus masking will have any potential benefits not available through, e.g. the Resound Relief app.

I just called Resound customer support, and rep said it is a very different process; that the built-in masker works almost like a noise-cancelling headset does. I queried how that could be since the tinnitus noise is all in my brain; he's having a more technical person call me back. But he was confident that there were measurements and adjustments an Audi could take and make to the built-in program that are qualitatively different than what one would get just streaming. And in fact he knew of cases where users had both the built-in enabled and used the Relief app.

So now I'm back to considering going back to the Audi and losing the Costco trial period. If the built-in masker has a chance of relieving my tinnitus, the extra $2600 won't look like a big expense.

BTW, for other newbies, KenP's blog post on not over-obsessing is pretty good! "Stop and take a deep breath"

Blog Entries

Well, with the iffiness that tinnitus suffers have with tinnitus programs, I'd want the audiologist to give a reasonable trial period. Those are normally 30 days but clinics are often marketers more than fitters. If they want the sale, they should adopt to your specific situation and be a bit more flexible about the trial. Make it contingent on it helping your tinnitus. If they aren't willing to do that for their substantial markup, I think you have an answer on how they think you'll succeed.

In the past, many clinics ran things as "my way or the highway" because they were the only game in town. That was never the dedicated people like the fitters we have visiting here and helping. These are people that go out of their way to address our concerns. If the clinic you are working with isn't a bit flexible concerning your needs, you are going to be disappointed -- after sale -- with their services. If they won't work with you now then they aren't going to later when they've got your money.
    Last edited by KenP; 03-11-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Default Tinnitus Tuner and Nature Sounds-advantage to Lynx over Cala

I tried the Resound Cala 8's RIC at Costco again this weekend. I had the Resound Relief Program loaded, and they paired the HAs with my iPhone so I could test all aspects.

Indeed I could stream sounds, from Relief or any of the other tinnitus masking programs, to the HAs. HOWEVER, doing so put the Calas in iPhone program mode. Streaming anything to them puts them in iPhone mode. I guess this makes sense, but I was hoping for a combination, to be able to have the Party, or Restaurant mode with all its features and then stream in some masking.

So I guess this is what the full-price Lynx 2's can do the the Costco Cala's cannot, since the Lynx sends the tinnitus masking signal directly from the HA and not streaming.

From the Resound Smart Hearing Brochure:

Tinnitus Tuner and Nature Sounds™
    During a personalized fitting, your clients can choose from tinnitus therapy sounds, new Nature Sounds, or their preferred sound streamed directly to their hearing aids. And now, with the help the ReSound Smart™ and ReSound Relief™ apps, you can empower your clients with more options for managing their tinnitus with a wide range of soothing background sounds.
    So I'll be giving this up on the Calas I've ordered. As several have said, just wearing HA ameliorates tinnitus for many. And I'll be able to stream masking, just not as flexibly as I'd wished. But because of some relocation issues, and because now that hope may be in sight (or hearing!) my tinnitus toleration is slipping away. I don't have time to search for and start over with a new Audi with a flexible trial period for the Lynx. If the Calas don't provide relief in the next, say, four months, I'll spend the last two months of trial period searching for an Audi that will let me trial the 2x$ Lynx.

9. Default

I suffer from a single tone ringing tinnitus in my right ear. However since wearing aids it has markedly improved. As long as i set the focus ear for my resounds to the left (non tinnitus ear) it is fine. However if i set the focus ear to the right (the default setting on the aids) i get a quiet annoying hiss that almost enhances and makes my tinnitus worse.

i put this down to the focus ear actually doing what it says, focus on the sounds from that ear and process accordingly. However i believe it may be more like your last statement. Because i am focusing on what is going on in the ear with tinnitus, it appears worse in my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by niceoldguy View Post
    I tried the Resound Cala 8's RIC at Costco again this weekend. I had the Resound Relief Program loaded, and they paired the HAs with my iPhone so I could test all aspects.

Indeed I could stream sounds, from Relief or any of the other tinnitus masking programs, to the HAs. HOWEVER, doing so put the Calas in iPhone program mode. Streaming anything to them puts them in iPhone mode. I guess this makes sense, but I was hoping for a combination, to be able to have the Party, or Restaurant mode with all its features and then stream in some masking.

So I guess this is what the full-price Lynx 2's can do the the Costco Cala's cannot, since the Lynx sends the tinnitus masking signal directly from the HA and not streaming.

From the Resound Smart Hearing Brochure:

Tinnitus Tuner and Nature Sounds™
    During a personalized fitting, your clients can choose from tinnitus therapy sounds, new Nature Sounds, or their preferred sound streamed directly to their hearing aids. And now, with the help the ReSound Smart™ and ReSound Relief™ apps, you can empower your clients with more options for managing their tinnitus with a wide range of soothing background sounds.
    So I'll be giving this up on the Calas I've ordered. As several have said, just wearing HA ameliorates tinnitus for many. And I'll be able to stream masking, just not as flexibly as I'd wished. But because of some relocation issues, and because now that hope may be in sight (or hearing!) my tinnitus toleration is slipping away. I don't have time to search for and start over with a new Audi with a flexible trial period for the Lynx. If the Calas don't provide relief in the next, say, four months, I'll spend the last two months of trial period searching for an Audi that will let me trial the 2x$ Lynx.
    ------250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 1.5k - 2k - 3 k - 4k - 6k - 8k
    L ----- 40 --- 30 ------0 ----25 ---15 -----5 -- 15 --- 45 --50-- 55
    R ----- 40 -- 30-------0 --- 30 ---20 --- 10 -- 20 ---45 ---55 -45

Resound Verso 961's - Open fit

Can you explain what you mean by "set the focus ear?" I've never heard this mentioned before (or at least not in this way). Thanks.

[QUOTE=Ian brittain;150081]I suffer from a single tone ringing tinnitus in my right ear. However since wearing aids it has markedly improved. As long as i set the focus ear for my resounds to the left (non tinnitus ear) it is fine. However if i set the focus ear to the right (the default setting on the aids) i get a quiet annoying hiss that almost enhances and makes my tinnitus worse.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40