Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cala 8 after 2 months (kinda LONG)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    24

    Default Cala 8 after 2 months (kinda LONG)

    A few impressions of the Cala 8 RIC hearing aids I've been using for a couple of months now. Mostly aimed at newbies like myself.


    Sound
    - I use the "Normal" program 95% of the time. The aids help a lot in most situations. Really noticeable with TV voices. Sometimes I mute the aids to get a flavor of what I'm missing without them, and can almost always tell they make a difference for the better.
    - Music mode works very well for listening to the stereo or a classical concert. The additional high frequency information makes the music seem louder and clearer.
    - Party or "Noise" mode helps in restaurants, but isn't a cure all. It is somewhat better than Normal mode (or muting the aids), but is a subtle improvement, not a big one. My "Noise" mode has maxed out 'Focus' and 'Comfort in Noise', but a restaurant or crowd can still be the most difficult situation to deal with.
    - It has taken a while to get used to some sounds - the tinny sound of the microwave door closing, the dog's nails on our hardwood floors.. But much better now than when I started. These unexpected sounds really do normalize as time goes by, you just need to be patient.
    - In some situations, with loud talkers or hollow room acoustics, voices can still seem too loud or kind of raspy. I'm still wondering if I need to take the gain down a notch. I do use the phone app to lower or raise the gain in certain situations, but not often - down for loud talkers, up for some TV shows.
    - I can sometimes hear the aids adjust themselves - walking into a new environment, there may be high pitched background noise that disappears after a second or two. The aids are filtering out noise as they are supposed to do, but it can be a little disconcerting.
    - Every once in a great while I hear a high pitched noise that doesn't sound right, but I can't tell if is a problem with the aids or just something I'm not used to hearing. Hard to explain, and it happens so rarely that I haven't worried about it.
    - The Calas have had no effect on my tinnitus as far as I can tell.


    Daily Use
    - I mostly don't notice them - kinda like my glasses. This took awhile, at first they itched and I was just generally conscious of wearing them.
    - One thing I do notice from time to time is noise from my hair rubbing against the aids. Freshly cut hair is worse than longer hair. Also leaning back against a pillow or cushion can make noise.
    - No one has yet commented on them. I was very self conscious at first, but apparently no one notices. Or doesn't think it is worth commenting on.
    - Changing to a slightly longer wire fixed any comfort issues I had. At first the wire going into my ear canal caused some pain by the end of the day.
    - I wear them at the gym, no problems. I can even wear headphones in the normal way. The gym is one of those places where there is a lot more high pitched noise going on than I realized until I got the Calas.


    iPhone
    - I mostly change modes and volume using my phone. I find doing so by pressing buttons on the aids a bit awkward.
    - I route sounds from my phone - phone calls, videos - through the aids. This is great. For instance, I can watch TV and play a game (with sound) at the same time, without disturbing my wife.
    - Music streamed through the aids isn't great, but boosting the bass using the phone app helps.
    - When streaming, walking around with my phone in my jeans pocket, sometimes the sound cuts out. With my phone in my jacket pocket, which is just a few inches higher, it never cuts out.
    - Phone calls are fine - the sound is in my ears, and I either hold my phone or put it down on a table. And I'm happy to not have to carry around another device to make this happen. I use our landline phone normally, no adjustments necessary - that works with the iPhone too, but at least for now I like the sound in my ears.
    ..250..500..1000..2000..3000..4000..8000
    R 10....10...05....15....45....45....55
    L 10....10...10....30....55....60....65
    WRS
    R-100%, L-84% at 50 dB; Cala 8

  2. Default

    I've had my Cala 8's for just a month and you describe my thoughts as well. I have high pitch sound loss and also am amazed by the high frequency sounds that come to life with these aids. Dog claws on hardwoods, forks on plates, electronic beeping, even the clicking of the turn signals.

    My initial preset loads were: All Around; Party; Outdoors and Music

    I used All Around for 70% of the time, experimenting with the others. I really like the Outdoors version, not sure why, but it seems to dim the harshness of some of the sounds, yet brings in more vibrancy for me in many situations.

    I recently had my Audi sub in Restaurant for Music, I want to test the difference between Restaurant and Party (which similar to you, seems to bring in too much noise).

    I did find out that the 8's support the following programs:
    All Around
    Acoustic Phone
    Demo
    Music
    Outdoors
    Party
    REM Test
    Restaurant
    Traffic

    I've been told that Music is the same as All Around, just bumps up the tolerance level for sudden loud sounds (makes sense to me).
    Also been told that Party and Restaurant are very similar, I haven't experimented enough to give input.

    Lastly, the iPhone app allows for Speech Enhancer, Noise reduction and Wind reduction. "Out of the box" each of the above mentioned programs only allowed 2 of the 3, but not usually all 3 "enhancers". My Audi called into tech support and learned how to turn on all 3 for each program. So, I can now adjust (via iPhone) all 3 settings, for all 4 programs currently installed.

    Hope this helps others. I'd like to hear what Programs are working for others on the Cala 8s.
    --------L-----R
    250 - 20 - 15
    500 - 20 - 20
    1k - 25 - 25
    1.5k - 30 - 30
    2k - 35 - 30
    3k - 40 - 35
    4k - 50 - 45
    6k - 45 - 50
    8k - 30 - 40

  3. #3

    Default

    This Resound blog post breaks down what the different programs do:

    https://gnresoundblog.com/2012/07/18...ogram-options/
    ----------------------------------------
    AC
    Freq.---L---R
    250----50--50
    500----65--55
    1000---75--75
    2000---65--60
    3000---65--55
    4000---65--60
    8000---65--70

    BC
    500----45--40
    1000---55--55
    2000---65--60
    4000---45--55

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    Posts
    1,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    This Resound blog post breaks down what the different programs do:

    https://gnresoundblog.com/2012/07/18...ogram-options/
    That's a somewhat outdated description from 5 years ago that doesn't necessarily describe what the current All Around program in the Cala 8 does.
    Phonak Brio 2, ComPilot II, TVLink II from Costco

    Freq R L
    250 30 35
    500 40 40
    750 40 40
    1000 40 40
    1500 25 35
    2000 35 30
    3000 50 40
    4000 50 50
    6000 75 60
    8000 80 80

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
    That's a somewhat outdated description from 5 years ago that doesn't necessarily describe what the current All Around program in the Cala 8 does.
    Just opened up Aventa 3 and you're right. There are four additional feature settings for the Cala 8/Linx2 in All Around (directional mix, time constants, low frequency boost and sound shaper)
    Last edited by mcantu; 03-17-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    ----------------------------------------
    AC
    Freq.---L---R
    250----50--50
    500----65--55
    1000---75--75
    2000---65--60
    3000---65--55
    4000---65--60
    8000---65--70

    BC
    500----45--40
    1000---55--55
    2000---65--60
    4000---45--55

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks for the post with such good details. I'm back to the Cala 8's after trying the Phonaks for some months. I could never get them to work for me in noisy environments to hear speech. One additional program is the t-coil--for t-loops. I do use this periodically. The latest was my grandson's graduation. It made a difference.

    The current programs I have are

    all-around
    restaurant
    music
    t-coil

    Using the restaurant program, I can be in noisy environments and hear speech pretty well. With the Phonaks I could not at all. My audi did a lot of tweaking during that time, but to no avail. When I use the restaurant program I need to use the software on my iPhone to narrow the sound focus, filter out background sound. I also use the wind program. I set all three of these to the maximum, narrowed sound focus, max filtering, max wind reduction. This enables me to hear much, much better in those settings. This is important in my work (teaching) and also in social settings like restaurants.
    Last edited by Dash; 06-17-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    Fr 250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 8000
    L 30 35 30 25 25 35 60
    R 25 30 40 15 20 20 55

    Most recent hearing test. Link here.
    Hidden Content

    Resound Cala 8 hearing aids and phone clip+

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Curious if you've ever tried using your smart phone microphone in a restaurant setting to stream directly to your hearing aids. Although it's not the point of the article, it suggests that it might be as effective as an omnidirectional mic, although not as good as a directional mic like the MultiMic. To access, Google: Benefit of the ReSound Multi Mic. It will take you to a pdf. I was unable to link to the forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Thanks for the post with such good details. I'm back to the Cala 8's after trying the Phonaks for some months. I could never get them to work for me in noisy environments to hear speech. One additional program is the t-coil--for t-loops. I do use this periodically. The latest was my grandson's graduation. It made a difference.

    The current programs I have are

    all-around
    restaurant
    music
    t-coil

    Using the restaurant program, I can be in noisy environments and hear speech pretty well. With the Phonaks I could not at all. My audi did a lot of tweaking during that time, but to no avail. When I use the restaurant program I need to use the software on my iPhone to narrow the sound focus, filter out background sound. I also use the wind program. I set all three of these to the maximum, narrowed sound focus, max filtering, max wind reduction. This enables me to hear much, much better in those settings. This is important in my work (teaching) and also in social settings like restaurants.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

    15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

  8. #8

    Default

    I use my KS6s with my iPhone a lot; audible books, phone, tv streaming...
    curious how to use the iPhone as a mic. I found the app but still confused how to use it...
    Baywood kS6s (TV streamer)
    50 <750> 55
    60 <1.5k> 65
    60 <3k> 65
    65 <4k> 75
    70 <6k> 85
    80 <8k> 90

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    508

    Default

    I'm not sure if your iPhone mic question is technical or asking what kind of situation you might use it. I can't answer the technical, but situationally, you could sit iPhone on table in noisy restaurant close to people speaking to you. It could stream voices to you with less background noise than your hearing aid mics might pick up. The aim is to increase signal to noise ratio.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baywood View Post
    I use my KS6s with my iPhone a lot; audible books, phone, tv streaming...
    curious how to use the iPhone as a mic. I found the app but still confused how to use it...
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

    15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    Curious if you've ever tried using your smart phone microphone in a restaurant setting to stream directly to your hearing aids. Although it's not the point of the article, it suggests that it might be as effective as an omnidirectional mic, although not as good as a directional mic like the MultiMic. To access, Google: Benefit of the ReSound Multi Mic. It will take you to a pdf. I was unable to link to the forums
    Thank you! Haven't done that but it sounds like something good to try next time I'm in a restaurant. Especially because the restaurant plays loud music. It might also de-emphasize the loud music and background noise (clatter and chatter) and let me hear people I'm with better. I'll try it next time I'm in that setting and will report back here. I'll remember to fully charge my phone first, too I love the things I can do with my iPhone and iPad but they eat batteries.
    Fr 250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 8000
    L 30 35 30 25 25 35 60
    R 25 30 40 15 20 20 55

    Most recent hearing test. Link here.
    Hidden Content

    Resound Cala 8 hearing aids and phone clip+

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •