Thread: Can someone explain to me how the CROS works?

1. Default Can someone explain to me how the CROS works?

I've read it on the internet but still don't understand. The aid on the bad ear is a microphone, which transmits the sound to the transmitter on the good ear. I just don't understand how you can hear out of the bad ear.

How does the microphone on the bad ear let you hear from that side? How does transmitting it to the good ear do anything with the bad ear? Does the good ear "hear" sound just on its own?

im currently wearing Siemens wireless 7mi, about 4 years old. Word discrimination is getting worse in bad ear, but I hear well in noisy environments due to the speech in noise factor. That is extremely important to me in social settings. Does the CROS work as well with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu348 View Post
    I've read it on the internet but still don't understand. The aid on the bad ear is a microphone, which transmits the sound to the transmitter on the good ear. I just don't understand how you can hear out of the bad ear.

How does the microphone on the bad ear let you hear from that side? How does transmitting it to the good ear do anything with the bad ear? Does the good ear "hear" sound just on its own?

im currently wearing Siemens wireless 7mi, about 4 years old. Word discrimination is getting worse in bad ear, but I hear well in noisy environments due to the speech in noise factor. That is extremely important to me in social settings. Does the CROS work as well with that?
    You don't hear out of the bad ear. The sound that would normally be heard in the bad ear is transmitted to the good ear, so the sound you would normally hear in both ears is just heard in the ear that you can hear with.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

3. Default

Seb..I understand that there is still no hearing out of bad ear, but why does it sound like it? That's where I'm confused. To Neville, thanks...it's good to know I'm not there quite yet.

4. Default

Ok..I think I sort of get it. The microphone is transmitting sound from the bad side to the good ear, so you hear what is being said. But it still confuses me how it seems like you are hearing it out of the bad ear. Must be the brain that makes it seem so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu348 View Post
    Ok..I think I sort of get it. The microphone is transmitting sound from the bad side to the good ear, so you hear what is being said. But it still confuses me how it seems like you are hearing it out of the bad ear. Must be the brain that makes it seem so.
    It seems like you're still hearing out of the bad ear probably because of the localization created by the delay between the sound that arrives at the bad ear and the same sound that arrives at the good ear. Your brain still gets 2 separate signals of the same sound that arrives at different times, which is processed by the brain to see which one arrives before and which one arrives after, and also which one has more volume/intensity (usually the one that arrives first) and which one has less (usually the one that arrives later). With these differentials, the brain determines the direction (or localization) of the sound. So I guess the brain still hears 2 separate signals so it still has the perception of depth and localization and therefore gets the impression that hearing still works from both sides while in reality it only comes from one side.

One thing that puzzles me, however, is that since the CROS setup is entirely mono, although given the impression of stereo through the sound delay, how would the brain know whether the signal that arrives first (or last) comes from the right side or the left side to begin with? Unless there's still some remnant of hearing remaining on the left side, although not much, but still such that it's still enough to help associate and couple the amplified signal with the real unamplified signal that's still being heard naturally on the left side, to help the brain think that the amplified signal comes from the left side although it comes from the right HA.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

6. Default

Neville, I still have moderate to severe hearing loss in my bad ear with 12% word discrimination. I had 28% just 2 years ago. Good ear is still the same. I could tell I was having more issues when people spoke on the side of my bad ear. I currently wear a Siemens 7mi.

My Audi mentioned that down the road I might want to consider a CROS and put one on me. She stood at my bad ear and spoke, and put on somenoise from her equipment. I could hear clear as a bell from my bad ear, where she stood....like I had great hearing from the bad ear. Then she spoke in front of me, and it wasn't the same. The sound was ok, but my bad ear felt really deaf. When she put my regular hearing aid backnin, it felt opened up and not occuluded. Like you said, I don't think I'm ready them yet...thankfully.

7. Default

Neville...that would be a great idea. I asked my audi if the bad ear isn't being amplified and worked by a HA, would that eventually lessen it's ability for word discrimination and she said that's a concern. So, the idea of creating what you mentioned would be ideal! I'd buy it.