Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TV Adapter 3.0

Default TV Adapter 3.0

I purchased the TV Adapter 3.0 for my OPN hearing aids off Amazon for $200. I've been streaming from my iPhone previously mostly to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime, but I do like to watch live sporting events or CNN occasionally.

I've had the TV Adapter now for about 2 weeks. I must say the connection is rock solid and the sound is definitely better than the IPhone or iPad direct. Not a huge difference, but it seems louder and clearer in most cases. When streaming with my iPhone I usually keep the closed captions on to make sure I don't miss anything (which I inevitably do), but with the TV Adapter that has not been an issue (relatively speaking). As for the volume, I've never had to increase it on the adapter where with iPhone streaming I'm about 75% of my ceiling.

I'm planning on trying this to listen to some calls on my laptop as a small part of my job entails doing quality assurance on recorded phone calls which I usually do with a pair of over the ear Senheisers, but would love to stream via my OPNs directly.
    Last edited by Abarsanti; 03-26-2017 at 05:16 PM.

I would agree that rock solid connection is the way I would describe my TV Adapter 3.0 connection to my OPNs as well. I do have the OPN rebooting by itself (without me having to do a forced reboot on it) occasionally (actually more like every few days) while connecting to the TV Adapter, but I'm not sure if it's due to the OPN or due to the TV Adapter. Sometimes the OPN reboots when NOT connected to the TV adapter as well, so I'm inclined to think that it's entirely due to the OPN.

As for the sound quality between the iPhone streaming and the TV adapter streaming, I've tried doing A to B comparison between the 2 on the same content, in this case a music video of some soft music (not rock & roll type) that has clarity and richness, to see how they compare. The TV Adapter in this case is connected to and driven by the laptop. The video player is VLC on both the iPhone and the laptop, the exact same mp4 video file with the exact same audio. I'm also mindful to keep the volume level about the same during the comparison as well. I can tell the difference between the sound coming from the iPhone and the sound coming from the laptop/TV Adaptor combo. I wouldn't say that one sounds better than the other. But I would say that the same music from the iPhone has clarity, and the music from the laptop/TV Adapter has a little more added richness and coloration to it. I would guess that people usually associate added richness and coloration as being better, maybe. But I can also see the argument for simply clean clarity as being quite exquisite. To me they're subtly different, but one not necessarily better then the other. And it's not just on this exact A to B comparison of the exact same content. This observation is consistent in general with most of the contents that I watch/hear as well.

I also agree that the TV Adapter seems to have more headroom on the volume compared to the iPhone streaming. I've had cases where I've had to increase the volume on the iPhone to near maximum on some content that has weaker volume level. But on the TV Adapter there's always plenty of volume and usually I have to turn down the volume on my OPN to keep it at a comfortable level.

I also must say that I never get any kind of artifacts (clicking sounds and noises, etc) coming from the TV Adapter, but I do get sound artifacts from the iPhone quite regularly.

$200 for the TV Adapter 3.0 from Amazon is not bad at all. I had my audi call up Oticon to inquire about the price and she told me she can sell it to me at her cost for $200. The one I bought from eBay was listed originally for $175. Maybe the owner got it as part of a package (I heard from a poster in Canada that his OPN package came with a free TV Adapter 3.0), decided that they didn't need the TV Adapter so put it up for sale to make some money. I was able to make an offer for a lower price and they took it, but I think I was just lucky there that they just wanted to get rid of it. BuyHear.com used to sell it for $299 (List price is $349), but now they're selling it at full $349 retail price. Maybe they're low on supply or something. I checked out FactoryDirectHearing.com and they don't sell Oticon accessories, although they sell the OPN1 for $100 cheaper than BuyHear.com.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 03-27-2017 at 04:05 PM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Yeah I did forget to add the one negative is that occasionally one aid doesn't connect and I have to open and close the battery door. I did ask BuyHear about matching the price on Amazon and that was below their cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Abarsanti View Post
    Yeah I did forget to add the one negative is that occasionally one aid doesn't connect and I have to open and close the battery door.
    The only time this happens to me is when the battery is low on one of the HAs. I would start hearing the low battery warning chime, and shortly later, that HA would no longer connect to the TV Adapter. But I've never had it happen on a full battery or before I start hearing the low battery chime.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

5. Default

I'll ditto the above comments on the TV adapter 3.0 - good stuff.

I haven't figured out how to use the OPN's with both the TV adapter AND also to amplify room sounds simultaneously.
    When someone talks to me with the TV adapter connected I need to change programs or turn the TV volume down and not use the HA's to listen to them.
    .....250....500......1k......2k......3k.......4k.. ....8k % SL SRT
    L.....10.....10......35......40......55.......65.. .....65 72% SL50 HTL20
    R.....15.....10......35......40......55.......55.. .....90 68% SL40 HTL25

Blog Entries

Most apps will let you control volume/mute for stream and ambient separately.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmahn View Post

I haven't figured out how to use the OPN's with both the TV adapter AND also to amplify room sounds simultaneously.
    When someone talks to me with the TV adapter connected I need to change programs or turn the TV volume down and not use the HA's to listen to them.
    Check out post #6 on this thread http://www.hearingaidforums.com/show...n-miniRITE-HAs. It's easily doable if you have an iPhone.

Without an iPhone to control this, I think your OPN mic is still turned on at normal level if you switch to the TV mode. BUT, the caviat is that if your TV level is too loud when you switch over to the TV mode and you have to turn down the volume on your OPN to a comfortable level, this action by default also reduces the volume of the OPN mic as well. If you can leave the OPN volume untouched and lower the volume from the TV that's driving the TV Adapter (if it's the RCA connection), then you can hear the surround room sounds just fine. The caviat with this as I find out for myself is that the volume from the TV (or in my case, my laptop) coming into the TV Adapter's RCA inputs will be below the threshold to keep the TV Adapter being active, so after so many minutes, the TV Adapter goes into standby mode due to undetected threshold level. I don't know whether it'd behave differently if you use the optical SPDIF/Toslink connection or not.

I haven't tried the ON app for Android phones to control this like how you'd do it on the iPhone. Maybe you can control it just the same on the Android ON app as well.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 03-28-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmahn View Post

I think in the fitting software you can change the microphone sound to be lower in streaming mode, or equal the volume of opn mode, that could be checked if you're not in low mic mode while streaming.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB Power Mold with Canal Lock

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

Quote Originally Posted by Gery_R View Post
    I think in the fitting software you can change the microphone sound to be lower in streaming mode, or equal the volume of opn mode, that could be checked if you're not in low mic mode while streaming.
    I think that's how my OPN are set (not in low mic mode while streaming). However, I think a lot depends on the input level coming into the TV Adapter that would have to meet the threshold level so the TV Adapter won't go into standby after a few minutes. If this input level into the TV Adapter makes the streaming sound pretty loud, then you're going to have to lower the streaming volume to a more comfortable level As soon as you start lowering the streaming volume, the mic volume gets lowered in tandem as well. By the time your streaming volume is down low enough to be comfortable for you, the mic volume will become too low to pick up outside sounds. Well, at least that's been my experience.

10. Default

Hello everyone, I am new here.
    I have been 'lured' into this FORUM by the many interesting conversations that popped up while searching for "OPN1 bluetooth problems" on Google. I thank you all so much for providing your experiences with those specific hearing aids because the way it seemed to me was that I had defective products and everyone else was perfectly happy.
    I have disconnects with my OPN1 very frequently, auto reboots for no reason from time to time, and almost constant crackling when switching between apps in my iphone.
    I noticed that toggling on/off the Bluetooth helps with resetting the HA so the crackling stops, but there is no guarantee it will not start again right away.
    On a positive note, I do love the streaming from the TV adapter and it is, in fact, the only real reason why I am still holding on to these hearing aids. Most other brands give terrible TV experiences, so I admit I use OPN for TV watching and Widex Beyond for everything else. Phone conversations with Widex Beyond are amazingly clear and I never even need to adjust the volume.
    That was quite an expensive investment but so far, it is giving me the best experience.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    250-----500-----1K-----2K-----4K-----8K
    15-------10-------10-----40------60-----70
    10--------5--------5-------25-----45------35
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Oticon OPN1
    Widex Beyond