Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd aids: Why "The best" frustration again

ohrob, I totally empathize with your situation! I have a Samsung Galaxy 6S phone and NO streaming device to work with my new Oticon miniRITE RIE aids. My workaround was to buy a pair of Sennheiser headphones that connect to the cell phone. That way, I can sort of "stream" phone calls hands-free. There is simply no firm commitment from Oticon as to whether or IF an Android-compatible clip-on streamer is every coming out. And I, for one, am not interested in using any software app on my phone to stream calls. It's just a personal bug of mine to not want any "Internet of Things" device in my life.

I am overall happy with the Oticon miniRITE aids, BUT! I have to add that being a bit of an audiophile myself, the quality of sound is actually inferior with any RIE or BTE aid compared to the older in-the-ear model (hard case, plastic). The reason is that the position of the mic is back behind the ear, staring up at the ceiling. Unless your circle of friends includes bats hanging from the ceiling, it is always better to have the mic pointing forward as in the ITE aids. I find that I enjoy music more with my old Agil Pro ITE aids than the newer Oticon miniRITE REI aids for that reason. Also, the natural cup of the ear improves the quality of sound.

I also agree that rarely IF EVER do audiologists explain why a particular model of aid is the best for a patient. But when you look at the technology of aids, it should be simple! Each aid has a software program that clearly shows what range of frequencies is covered for the patient's loss curve. Your hearing loss seems well within the range of fitting from multiple models. Therefore, it *could* boil down to the most expensive ones being pushed your way. Good luck and stay persistent till you get a pair of aids that work the best for you and your budget. Let us know what you end up with.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

2. Default

Hi just a thought
    Other than the position of the aids, mics and cup of the ear, there are also a couple of major contributing factors to poor sound when streaming.

1/ low bit rate on bluetooth streaming devices, causing minimal information to be sent. IE Resound phone clip is much better sounding (to me) than Iphone direct connect. Some say its only different. Well different or not the sound on direct connect isweak and tinny. The sound connected via clip is not. I do not like weak and tinny.

2/ If you are using open open domes, stick your fingers in your ears, does the sound drastically improve. If so then you are losing low frequency tones by sounds (leaking out) via the holes in the domes. Look for some domes with smaller or less holes, or alternatively change to tulip domes. However be prepared to have some stuffiness (occlusion) feeling in the ears on tulip or closed domes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    ohrob, I totally empathize with your situation! I have a Samsung Galaxy 6S phone and NO streaming device to work with my new Oticon miniRITE RIE aids. My workaround was to buy a pair of Sennheiser headphones that connect to the cell phone. That way, I can sort of "stream" phone calls hands-free. There is simply no firm commitment from Oticon as to whether or IF an Android-compatible clip-on streamer is every coming out. And I, for one, am not interested in using any software app on my phone to stream calls. It's just a personal bug of mine to not want any "Internet of Things" device in my life.

I am overall happy with the Oticon miniRITE aids, BUT! I have to add that being a bit of an audiophile myself, the quality of sound is actually inferior with any RIE or BTE aid compared to the older in-the-ear model (hard case, plastic). The reason is that the position of the mic is back behind the ear, staring up at the ceiling. Unless your circle of friends includes bats hanging from the ceiling, it is always better to have the mic pointing forward as in the ITE aids. I find that I enjoy music more with my old Agil Pro ITE aids than the newer Oticon miniRITE REI aids for that reason. Also, the natural cup of the ear improves the quality of sound.

I also agree that rarely IF EVER do audiologists explain why a particular model of aid is the best for a patient. But when you look at the technology of aids, it should be simple! Each aid has a software program that clearly shows what range of frequencies is covered for the patient's loss curve. Your hearing loss seems well within the range of fitting from multiple models. Therefore, it *could* boil down to the most expensive ones being pushed your way. Good luck and stay persistent till you get a pair of aids that work the best for you and your budget. Let us know what you end up with.
    ------250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 1.5k - 2k - 3 k - 4k - 6k - 8k
    L ----- 40 --- 30 ------0 ----25 ---15 -----5 -- 15 --- 45 --50-- 55
    R ----- 40 -- 30-------0 --- 30 ---20 --- 10 -- 20 ---45 ---55 -45

Resound Verso 961's - Open fit

But, but.. All the kool kids gotta have open domes and iPhone streaming even if the sound sucks.

YES to both of your points here. Absolutely true in my case. I also find that streaming the phone into my old Agil Pro aids using the Streamer Pro sounds better than just putting the phone up to my left aid (either pair I own) alone. My brain seems to process the stereo sound input better than just having one ear do all the work. I suppose the "direct connect" streams sound into both ears, but if the quality is thin and tinny, that would not be ideal.

I consider myself lucky to have closed, Power domes on my new Oticon miniRITE aids. No way could I have leakage of low freq's with an open dome. Even vented aids have to have a smaller vent to provide as tight a seal as possible. Ideally, I'd have the plastic tube + fitted earmold for a BTE, but happen to be hideously allergic to the plastic material.

=========================
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian brittain View Post
    Hi just a thought
    Other than the position of the aids, mics and cup of the ear, there are also a couple of major contributing factors to poor sound when streaming.

1/ low bit rate on bluetooth streaming devices, causing minimal information to be sent. IE Resound phone clip is much better sounding (to me) than Iphone direct connect. Some say its only different. Well different or not the sound on direct connect isweak and tinny. The sound connected via clip is not. I do not like weak and tinny.

2/ If you are using open open domes, stick your fingers in your ears, does the sound drastically improve. If so then you are losing low frequency tones by sounds (leaking out) via the holes in the domes. Look for some domes with smaller or less holes, or alternatively change to tulip domes. However be prepared to have some stuffiness (occlusion) feeling in the ears on tulip or closed domes.

Pet peeve of mine. With the growth of kool kids streaming music from iPhones, there has been a real decline in the high-end audio industry. Most people seem ok with flat, 2-dimensional music streamed into little ear buds. Not me. I want gorgeous, rich sound coming from a pair of awesome Vivid speakers - no streaming necessary to enjoy that in a room with proper acoustics. But I digress ...

============================

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    But, but.. All the kool kids gotta have open domes and iPhone streaming even if the sound sucks.