Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opn and iPhone: anyone getting good results?

Stereo ! Wow that's a first for Oticon .
    Oticon Alta Pro (2)

0250.HZ L-30 R-15
    0500.HZ L-40 R-30
    0750.HZ L-45 R-20
    1000.HZ L-50 R-15
    2000.HZ L-60 R-40
    3000.HZ L-60 R-60
    4000.HZ L-75 R-70
    6000.HZ L-80 R-80
    8000.HZ L-90 R-80

Speech Reception L-40 R-20
    Presentation Level L-80 R-60
    Discrimination L-60 R-76

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas17 View Post
    Seems like a great hearing aid, but lots of complaints about streaming music from iPhone. Does this work well for any of you using the Opn?
    I bought a set of OPN 1 hearing aids from Buyhear in January and have been streaming music and podcasts to them from my iPhone 6 since then. They have worked quite well for the most part. Pairing them to the iPhone is quick and easy using the hearing aid accessibility feature of the iPhone.

The sound quality is decent but of course there isn't much bass (really not any), just mid range and treble as you might expect. The bluetooth connection seems to be fairly stable but it does drop out occasionally, usually on just one side. To fix the problem I usually just turn off bluetooth on the iPhone and then turn it back on again and the connection is reestablished.

About a week ago I updated the firmware on my OPN 1 hearing aids from version 2 to version 4 (I have an ExpressLINK device and the Genie 2 software so I can do it myself) and so far I think that the bluetooth connection is more stable and improved. Since the update I have had only one dropout on one side which was quickly fixed by turning bluetooth off and on again.

Another problem that seems to have been fixed (at least so far) since the firmware update is having one of the aids reboot spontaneously. I had that happen occasionally before the update but since then it has not happened once.

Do you get bass when you plug you ears with your fingers?

" The sound quality is decent but of course there isn't much bass (really not any), just mid range and treble as you might expect." I'm wondering if an EQ phone app would correct this somewhat ? The EQ included with iPhone music appears to do nothing .
    Oticon Alta Pro (2)

0250.HZ L-30 R-15
    0500.HZ L-40 R-30
    0750.HZ L-45 R-20
    1000.HZ L-50 R-15
    2000.HZ L-60 R-40
    3000.HZ L-60 R-60
    4000.HZ L-75 R-70
    6000.HZ L-80 R-80
    8000.HZ L-90 R-80

Speech Reception L-40 R-20
    Presentation Level L-80 R-60
    Discrimination L-60 R-76

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    Do you get bass when you plug you ears with your fingers?
    Yes! I just tried it and the sound is much better. That's something that I wasn't aware of. My hearing is fine at low frequencies (below about 1,000 hertz) and drops off fairly quickly in the higher frequencies so I just use open domes which allows me to hear unamplified lower frequencies normally.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
    " The sound quality is decent but of course there isn't much bass (really not any), just mid range and treble as you might expect." I'm wondering if an EQ phone app would correct this somewhat ? The EQ included with iPhone music appears to do nothing .
    I tried using the built-in EQ that the iPhone comes with. Tried the bass boost but it didn't make any difference that I could detect.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jferris33 View Post
    Yes! I just tried it and the sound is much better. That's something that I wasn't aware of. My hearing is fine at low frequencies (below about 1,000 hertz) and drops off fairly quickly in the higher frequencies so I just use open domes which allows me to hear unamplified lower frequencies normally.
    Yeah, that's the inherent issue with streaming sound to your HA while wearing open domes. It affects any HA. The receivers are already smaller in the first place, with barely any bass production capability. Add to that large vents of the open domes and all the (already weak) bass would escape out of the vents. If you switch to the closed bass domes with the single vent hole (which is what I use on my OPN, and my loss profile is the ski slope curve similar to yours), it'll help improve the bass by a bit. Even then, plugging my ears with my fingers still improve it a little bit more. I find the closed bass domes with single vent to be a good compromise between still be able to avoid occlusion and being able to get more bass out of the OPN. It also helps with minimizing feedback as well. I can put my hands over the OPN completely and get no feedback at all.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jferris33 View Post
    I tried using the built-in EQ that the iPhone comes with. Tried the bass boost but it didn't make any difference that I could detect.
    I don't notice any more bass either switching to Bass Booster in the Music EQ setting for the iPhone. But if I try other non-bass settings like Vocal Booster or Treble Reducer, I do notice more mids and less highs for example. This means that the iPhone EQ setting does affect how the HA sounds, but it's just that Bass Booster setting in the iPhone EQ is for a range too low for what the OPN receiver can produce.

If I use my regular headphones then I can hear more bass on the Bass Booster, but I can tell that that extra bass is in the very low frequency range. Much lower than anything I could ever hear from the OPN receiver.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Quit screwing around and get yourself a pair at properly vented custom molds.
    Wear them all the time for a couple of weeks bet the echo goes away.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    Yeah, that's the inherent issue with streaming sound to your HA while wearing open domes. It affects any HA. The receivers are already smaller in the first place, with barely any bass production capability. Add to that large vents of the open domes and all the (already weak) bass would escape out of the vents. If you switch to the closed bass domes with the single vent hole (which is what I use on my OPN, and my loss profile is the ski slope curve similar to yours), it'll help improve the bass by a bit. Even then, plugging my ears with my fingers still improve it a little bit more. I find the closed bass domes with single vent to be a good compromise between still be able to avoid occlusion and being able to get more bass out of the OPN. It also helps with minimizing feedback as well. I can put my hands over the OPN completely and get no feedback at all.
    Thanks for that info on the closed domes. I'll give that a try and see how they do.