Thread: Programming - how often? And would you rent a programmer?

Default Programming - how often? And would you rent a programmer?

To the DYI-ers, how often do you actually use your programmer? Is it a few times over a month when you get a new aid, or does it take longer to tune your aids to your preference? After an initial adjustment period, do you go back and play with your settings occasionally? As a new-to-aids person, my first thoughts are that a month would be sufficient for most people. Does that seem about right?

It occurs to me that there are more forum users who'd like to do their own adjustments than who have spent that extra $3-400 to do so. So there might be a little opportunity for some enterprising do-good-er (and I don't really want it to be me) to buy a Hi-Pro and some cables for the popular models and rent it out to others. Just to help the group, I mean. It's not going to be a money maker, of course, but it might pay for itself in a year's time.

I'm thinking that I'd pay $75-$100 for a month's use of a Hi-Pro (or a FittingLink3) to get my new OPN1s in good shape. What about you? What would you pay? And is that enough time? A show of hands from prospective customers would be useful, but just as welcome would be some replies starting with "I don't think this will work because...."

HA since 3-2017: Oticon OPN1

HZ 250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    L 20 20 20 30 45 75 90 95 95
    R 20 15 20 25 35 65 85 85 80

2. Default

I don't want it to be me either. Therein lies your problem
    Click >>Hidden Content << when your post count=10+ or Use Search for "self programming"
    My Hidden Content , My Wife's Hidden Content

Interesting idea! I have a mini pro, cs44 cables and 312 pills that work for my KS7s and should work for Rexton and Signia HAs with 312 batteries and perhaps others. I wouldn't want to ship them but happy to meet somebody in the Fresno area.

How often do they get used? It depends. I used them a fair amount for a few weeks and then ignored for awhile. Recently I used them again to change fitting formula to "Experienced" to see what it would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by TRY View Post
    To the DYI-ers, how often do you actually use your programmer? Is it a few times over a month when you get a new aid, or does it take longer to tune your aids to your preference? After an initial adjustment period, do you go back and play with your settings occasionally? As a new-to-aids person, my first thoughts are that a month would be sufficient for most people. Does that seem about right?

It occurs to me that there are more forum users who'd like to do their own adjustments than who have spent that extra $3-400 to do so. So there might be a little opportunity for some enterprising do-good-er (and I don't really want it to be me) to buy a Hi-Pro and some cables for the popular models and rent it out to others. Just to help the group, I mean. It's not going to be a money maker, of course, but it might pay for itself in a year's time.

I'm thinking that I'd pay $75-$100 for a month's use of a Hi-Pro (or a FittingLink3) to get my new OPN1s in good shape. What about you? What would you pay? And is that enough time? A show of hands from prospective customers would be useful, but just as welcome would be some replies starting with "I don't think this will work because...."

HA since 3-2017: Oticon OPN1

HZ 250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    L 20 20 20 30 45 75 90 95 95
    R 20 15 20 25 35 65 85 85 80
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Great thread! I really would like to self program but there are a few hindrances I see in buying my own Fitting Link 3.0 for my Opn1: the high price, the ROI since I don't know if I'd touch it again often after I've fine tuned it to my liking maybe within the first month or so. If it's something I would use regularly, then the cost may be more justifiable. The other hindrance is that my audi is only 5 minutes away from where I live so it's hard for me to justify the high price just to tinker with it. The OPN also doesn't require too many programs so there's even less of a need to tinker with it once it's been setup. As much as I'd like to tinker with it, I don't see the need to change anything at this moment after I've seen my audi in the first month of owning my Opn1.

Citing the reasons above, I wouldn't want to shell out $75 to $100 to rent one for a month. If it were $50 then maybe I'd consider it more seriously. Otherwise, I'm hoping that over time eventually the price will drop down to hopefully around the $150-$200 range then I would just rather buy one to own.

That's because tinkering is different than adjusting. You can't limit your tinkering to within a month. The 1 month limit would be more like adjusting, which I can just go see my audi to have it done. Tinkering would have to make the programmer always available at any time so I can change anything I want at a whim. For example, I may not be exposed to a new environment (like maybe going to a ball game or concert or whatever) for 3 months later, so renting it out for just 1 month doesn't allow me to tinker with it after my new exposure to a new environment that may not happen until much later.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100