Thread: Audiologist advice needed for setting tone control on my analog hearing aid according to my audiogram.

1. Question Audiologist advice needed for setting tone control on my analog hearing aid according to my audiogram.

Hi,

Could an audiologist please help me set my analog hearing up as I have a replacement and do not know my previous settings. I have a pic of the dials on my hearing aid, green dial says A-Gram and the red dial says UCL.

Here is a pic of it and my audiogram:

It would be great if you can tell me what to set this at. I would be ever so grateful.

Kind regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

Top dial is for the degree of slope, which you haven't got, so it needs to be turned full right. The lower dial is the amount if gain rather than UCL so try it on the 2nd or 3rd notch and then fine tune with the volume wheel.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    Top dial is for the degree of slope, which you haven't got, so it needs to be turned full right. The lower dial is the amount if gain rather than UCL so try it on the 2nd or 3rd notch and then fine tune with the volume wheel.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I will set the A-GRAM to all the way right like it is in the picture already and adjust UCL to 2nd or third notch and see how it sounds. Thanks.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    Amazing. Where'd you get an analogue aid?
    Managed to track one down from a hearing aid shop called Mary Hare. I missed my old analog and couldn't get used to digital no matter what my audiologist did and time I gave it to adjust. I want analog back. I wonder how long it will take me to get used to analog again?

Worn analog for 23 years and then digital for 4 years but 4 years later digital sounds rubbish so surely it wouldn't take me that long for my brain to adjust back?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    What was it about the analogue that you missed? Digital aids can be set up to be pretty linear.

I imagine that your chances to even get ahold of an analogue are shrinking dramatically every year. Hopefully this one will last you for a while.

I had someone come by a while back searching for an analogue because they were "sensitive to EMF". O.o
    I miss the raw amplified sound and linear and the crispness of analog, My Siemens Impact DP digital aid was set up as analog could be and even a technician from Siemens came in and tweaked my aid and I still hated it, I could barely understand people and my own voice sounded weird and it affected my speech when talking to others. I felt deaf with the digital aid and with analog I felt normal if that makes sense.

All the compression and directional microphone is set to mimic analog and it still doesn't sound right, even after 4 years. I put the my old analog in today and instantly my voice sounded better, sounds are really sharp at the moment but hopefully my brain will adapt like it did for 23 years. I just hope that wearing digital for 4 years hasn't messed my hearing up so that I won't get used to analog again.

Blog Entries

http://www.prairielabs.com/BTE.pdf still makes analog aids.

BTE Analog Amplifier Choices: Class A Amplifier Low Drain Amplifier (Class A Only) -- Up to 45 dB H.F.A. full gain -- Up to 35 dB H.F.A. full on gain -- Up to 115 dB SSPL -- Up to 110 dB SSPL -- 0.6 MA battery drain -- Battery drain of 0.3 MA -- Up to 380hours of battery life -- Battery life: up to 716 hours with size 13 zinc air battery with size 13 zinc air battery Push Pull Amplifier AGC Amplifier -- Up to 60 dB H.F.A. full on gain -- Up to 45 dB H.F.A. full on gain -- Up to 132 dB SSPL -- Up to 118 dB SSPL -- Battery drain of 1.5 MA -- Battery drain of 0.5 MA -- Battery life: up to 150 hours -- Battery life: up to 460 hours with size 13 zinc air battery with size 13 zinc air battery Class D Amplifier AGC/Class D Amplifier -- Up to 50 dB H.F.A. full on gain -- Up to 50 dB H.F.A. full on gain -- Up to 128 dB SSPL -- Up to 125 dB SSPL -- Battery drain of 0.7 MA -- Battery drain of 0.7 MA -- Battery life: up to 320 hours -- Battery life: up to 460 hours with size 13 zinc air battery with size 13 zinc air battery

My original audiologist was around when analog aids were the standard. She also knew about my activity here. I asked her about analog and she set my last program to an approximation. It does sound different. It seemed brighter. Didn't make my understanding better or worse that much but it is a very different sound.

The stuff run together is info about the six types of amplifier they can make. Easier to view on the page at the start of this.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare