Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oticon Opn Programming

Default Oticon Opn Programming

I've just been equipped with a set of Oticon Opn 1's through an audiologist. I can definitely hear more, but it feels like I'm hearing a lot of things I don't need to hear and the sounds seem somewhat unnatural. I'd like to know if it's possible for me to do any of the programming myself. If so, how?

It's possible to do programming yourself (See DIY section of this forum), but what your describing sounds pretty typical for anybody with a new hearing aid. Your brain needs some time to adjust. Also, most aids give user some control over volume and treble/bass--unsure of specifics with Oticon. I'm sure others can help you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Atom View Post
    I've just been equipped with a set of Oticon Opn 1's through an audiologist. I can definitely hear more, but it feels like I'm hearing a lot of things I don't need to hear and the sounds seem somewhat unnatural. I'd like to know if it's possible for me to do any of the programming myself. If so, how?
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Ok, I found the references to the FittingLink 3.0. For the price, it seems like it should be included.

Some of the sounds may seem unnatural for you simply because you haven't been able to hear them before but now you can. It just takes getting used to them.

As for hearing a lot of things you don't want to hear, not sure if ANY HA is smart enough to know what you want to hear and what you don't want to hear because it's so subjective and different between individuals anyway. Even a normal hearing person can't pick and choose what they want to hear so you can't expect any HA to do miracle in this department. About the only thing you can have your HA do is put it in a directional beam forming mode so that it'll only pick up the sound in front and not in the back or around you. But in a noisy place, what you don't want to hear is going to be all around you, including the front anyway.

The Oticon OPN in particular is designed to let you hear everything and expect your brain hearing to learn to tune out what you don't want to hear and focus on what you want to hear. If you have expectation that the OPN should do this work for you instead of your brain hearing doing this work, you'll have picked the wrong HA and be greatly disappointed in it. But if you embrace their "open" paradigm and are glad that you can hear everything and give your brain hearing time to adapt and train it to tune out what you don't want to hear, you'll be happy with the result after your brain hearing has been trained well enough for it.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

5. Default

Atom:
    How long have you had the new OPN's?
    IIRC new OPN's will automatically adjust themselves every day so you can hear more sounds each day for the 1st 7 to 10 days or so.
    Kind of like ramping up so your brain gradually gets used to them. At my first follow-up visit after the adjustment time the Audi enabled all of the other functions - directional sound etc...

I too heard heard more 360 degree sounds on day 1 - like the "clicking" of my shoelace tips hitting my shoe leather when I walked down a quiet carpeted hall (now I know why all of my employees always seemed to be working when I came around!!! :-) ). You get used to it and actually enjoy being able to hear sounds if you want to. Give it a month or so. The audi can select the level of loud noise rejection so that if someone drops keys on tile floor you don't jumps out of your chair.
    .....250....500......1k......2k......3k.......4k.. ....8k % SL SRT
    L.....10.....10......35......40......55.......65.. .....65 72% SL50 HTL20
    R.....15.....10......35......40......55.......55.. .....90 68% SL40 HTL25

I just got them a couple of days ago. One thing I've noticed is that the sound is more comfortable if I lower the setting to -3 on the iphone app. I'm going to give it an ample test; after all, I have a 30 day refund option. My hearing loss at high frequencies is severe. One thing I have noticed is that music over the blue tooth does not sound at all right. If I listen to it through ear buds, then it sounds ok. With the Opn's, the bass seems nonexistent. I don't listen to a lot of music anyway, so not a big deal. Mostly, I'm looking forward to hearing better at work. If it does that for me, then it will have been worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atom View Post
    I just got them a couple of days ago. One thing I've noticed is that the sound is more comfortable if I lower the setting to -3 on the iphone app. I'm going to give it an ample test; after all, I have a 30 day refund option. My hearing loss at high frequencies is severe. One thing I have noticed is that music over the blue tooth does not sound at all right. If I listen to it through ear buds, then it sounds ok. With the Opn's, the bass seems nonexistent. I don't listen to a lot of music anyway, so not a big deal. Mostly, I'm looking forward to hearing better at work. If it does that for me, then it will have been worth it.
    If your audi didn't make use of the auto adjustment feature available that Rocketmahn talked about, then manually using the volume control like you've been doing is the alternative to get gradually eased into it. I actually prefer the manual adjustment myself because you can control when and where to do the adjustment. The trade-off is that every time you put the OPN on you'll need to change the volume to your liking. If after a few weeks you still like the lower volume better, your audi can set it to be your default volume. But the current default volume set is probably based on your audiogram, so give it some time to see if you can get accustomed to the current default volume first.

If your hearing loss is mostly at the high frequencies and your low frequency hearing is more normal, chances are that your fitter fitted you with an open dome to let the natural lows and mids come through so you can hear them naturally unaided by the HAs. If you wear an open dome, the negative effect of it is that the open vent will act like an open door and cause the lows and mids from your streamed music to leak out. And the receiver in your ear canal is already pretty small in the first place so it can't deliver the thundering bass that you've come to expect from headphones designed for music anyway. Just plug your ears with your fingers when streaming music to your OPN and if it seems to have better bass then you'll have confirmed that whatever little bass your receiver can already muster up has leaked out due to your open dome fitting. It's just a trade-off for wearing open domes. I don't wear open domes, I have a bass dome with a tiny vent hole, and I still prefer to wear my normal headphones when seriously listening to music because I already know that I can't get the kind of bass my headphones deliver compared to what the receiver can do. But for normal TV watching from the streamer, with a closed dome I do get sufficient bass from the receiver so that it's not a tinny sound.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

8. Default

Great tips. If you wear a custom receiver, how does the bass vary relative to the open and closed domes?

Quote Originally Posted by gkumar View Post
    Great tips. If you wear a custom receiver, how does the bass vary relative to the open and closed domes?
    I assume you mean a custom mold and not custom receiver here because there's no such thing as custom receiver.

don't think the closed dome will be too much different than the custom mold if the closed dome fits well in your ear in terms of the bass sound. But the custom mold will probably have a slight edge. Both of them would probably have a big edge on the open dome when it comes to better bass and mids for streamed music. For normal unstreamed sound then of course the open dome will let un-amplified natural sound in while the closed dome and custom mold will produce more amplified sound.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I assume you mean a custom mold and not custom receiver here because there's no such thing as custom receiver.

don't think the closed dome will be too much different than the custom mold if the closed dome fits well in your ear in terms of the bass sound. But the custom mold will probably have a slight edge. Both of them would probably have a big edge on the open dome when it comes to better bass and mids for streamed music. For normal unstreamed sound then of course the open dome will let un-amplified natural sound in while the closed dome and custom mold will produce more amplified sound.
    Gotcha and yes you're right. I had meant a custom mold. I'm still getting up to speed on the nomenclature. Thanks for the clarification!