Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oticon OPN retail package - what speaker is included?

Question Oticon OPN retail package - what speaker is included?

Hi,

Disclaimer: I'm new on this forum and if this question has already been answered somewhere, please point me there and disregard this post.

I'm considering Oticon OPN for my father-in-law, but I cannot find any definitive information about the contents of the retail package. I found product's manual on the Oticon website, they mention three types of speakers:

1. Speaker 60
    2. Speaker 85
    3. Speaker 100

I don't know what type will be required for my father-in-law. Does it mean that we'll have to buy a speaker separately? Or they include all types in the same package?

Would someone who owns OPN device please clarify what is included in the retail package and how one obtains relevant speaker?

Thanks!
    Last edited by AlexB; 04-15-2017 at 05:47 PM.

The aids include the receiver (speaker). Depending on his hearing loss, the audiologist will order the appropriate receiver.

Receivers (speakers) for OPNs have power ratings (60, 85, and 100), and additionally wire lengths (1, 2, and 3); your audiologist would determine the appropriate choices based on your anatomy and audiogram and order them with the HA's. As far as "retail package", there's really no such thing; the HA's, receivers, and domes are all separate and are "assembled" (quickly) for you. Some HA's even have replaceable color shells, which can be mixed and matched.
    Marc

Hz 250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 1.5k -- 2k -- 3k -- 4k -- 6k -- 8k
    R: 20 -- 25 -- 35 -- 35 -- 45 --- 50 -- 55 -- 60 -- 55 -- 70
    L: 15 -- 25 -- 35 -- 40 -- 45 --- 60 -- 50 -- 60 -- 55 -- 65
    [Opn]

Agree with Abarsanti! A person's hearing loss PLUS size limitations of their ear canal will determine which receiver comes with the final "package". Each size of receiver is geared to a level and type (curve) of hearing loss.

I ended up with the size 85 receiver on my new Oticon Opn aids. Ideally, I'd probably have the size 100 receivers (based on my hearing loss), but my ear canals simply won't accommodate that size. Ah, if only the receivers were encased in a more flexible medium - silicone? Instead, they are hard as wooden matchsticks, and they can really ram the doorway of one's ear canal to the point of causing a sore.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

Thank you all who answered. The issue is that we're not going to buy it via audiologist or a clinic. I'm going to buy it online and then audiologist will tune it as required. If we buy via local shop, then the price would be x2 or even higher than what is available online.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    Thank you all who answered. The issue is that we're not going to buy it via audiologist or a clinic. I'm going to buy it online and then audiologist will tune it as required. If we buy via local shop, then the price would be x2 or even higher than what is available online.
    Assuming that you're in the US, it should still work the same if you buy it online from sources like FactoryDirectHearing.com ($3700/pair of OPN1) or BuyHear.com ($3800/pair of Opn1). They will fit your father-in-law with the correct receiver for the same price as far as I can tell. If you require custom molds instead of using the standard domes, then it'd be extra. Otherwise they'll send different size domes to you with the predetermined receiver to try out.

No need to bring it to a local audi to fine tune while you can do it remotely with the original online vendor at the comfort of your own home. They'll do the initial programming of the OPN based on the audiogram you send them. If that works out then great. If you need fine tuning/adjustments, they'll send you a wireless programming device connected to the internet and you'll schedule a programming session with them (or multiple sessions) to fine tune the programming in the convenience of your own home while on the phone with them and connected to the internet. Once you're satisfied with the fine tuning you'll send back the programming device to them. Many members in this forum has gone this route and are happy with the online service. Even one member had had to return the OPN1 pair back to them for repair (iPhone streaming issue) through the online vendor and that also worked out well for him.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Volusiano, thanks for your elaborate reply. I live in Australia and hearing aids here are insanely expensive (among many other things). Here is an example. AUD is about 0.75 USD, so you should adjust the price a bit. And notice that it's the price for one piece, not a pair! For the price they sell it here I could buy a ticket to USA, buy it there and still have some spare change. That's why I'm going to buy it online.

Many audiologists here don't mind to make the test and tune the device I bring. If I can tune the device online with the USA shop, then it's very convenient and I definitely will use this option.

Volusiano, thanks for your elaborate reply. I live in Australia and hearing aids here are insanely expensive (among many other things). Here is an example. AUD is about 0.75 USD, so you should adjust the price a bit. And notice that it's the price for one piece, not a pair! For the price they sell it here I could buy a ticket to USA, buy it there and still have some spare change. That's why I'm going to buy it online.

Many audiologists here don't mind to make the test and tune the device I bring. If I can tune the device online with the USA shop, then it's very convenient and I definitely will use this option.
    Mine were $11,000 - 2 years ago. Our dollar was a lot better then also.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB

It doesn't hurt to call and ask the online outlets in the US like BuyHear or FactoryDirectHearing to see if they would sell outside the US or not. Aside from out of the country shipping higher costs, I think the remote fine tuning over the phone and internet should be the same whether you're inside or outside the US (well except international phone calls may cost a bit more). Maybe they'll charge a little more on shipping and international phone call costs but that's it. If not, like you said, just use a local audi to do further fine tuning for you.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Quote Originally Posted by Psocoptera View Post
    Mine were $11,000 - 2 years ago. Our dollar was a lot better then also.
    Ouch!

In Australia retired people are entitled to a subsidy from the gov't when they buy hearing aids. I guess that's why shops charge that much. So everyone waits until retirement age to buy subsidised ones or buys overseas via internet if they need it earlier.